Wednesday, May 4, 2011

My May Challenge

The last few months I have been trying to "get healthy." I haven't been overly successful. I have been exercising a couple days a week with a group of ladies at church, and that has been really fun. The problem was that I couldn't get my eating under control. I have a major sweet tooth, but that wasn't even the problem. I was just eating all day long, and eating way too much junk. Candy, fast food, chips, soda. I took a step back and couldn't figure out what my problem was. I have never eaten this badly in my life!

I considered my options: crazy detox diet, cutting out all sugar and fats, etc. I decided my best bet for a long term change was to re-train myself how to eat right and listen to my body. My May Challenge is helping me with that goal. Basically the May Challenge is me re-training myself to be healthy. Each week I have a specific goal to help me eat better. The next week's goal will add onto the first week's. The other piece of the puzzle is exercise. I haven't been doing too badly in that department, but as long as I'm challenging myself I may as well ramp up my exercise efforts too.

May Challenge: Week 1
Week 1 Goals:
-Exercise 5 days (I am doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and using my elliptical)
-No fast food
-At least 3 servings of fruits/veggies per day

I have a notebook to keep a tangible record of my goals and to honestly chart my eating. I know that these goals may seem really lame, but I'm embarrassed to admit that they are a challenge for me. So far this week I've been doing ok. I've exercised 2 days, and barely met my fruits/veggies goals on those days. I, of course, haven't eaten fast food, but let me tell you I was tempted as I drove past In N Out yesterday with just Talia in the car . . . I managed to resist. :)

I am always hesitant to publicly commit to any sort of goal simply because if I fail then everyone knows it, but I guess that's exactly why it's a good motivator. Anyway, I'm not really looking for any healthy eating advice (I know plenty of what I SHOULD be doing), but encouragement is always appreciated!

10 comments:

Liz Smith said...

great goals! it's so hard to give up guilty pleasures like that. sometimes i have to tell myself it's probably a good thing that we don't have in 'n out out here! i am so proud of you for being able to drive by without stopping. best of luck with your may challenge!

Emilee said...

Good for you! I think most of us know what we should be eating, but doing it is another matter. One good thing about being so far away from everything is that eating fast food is rarely a temptation.

I think the little goals that build on each other is smart. I usually go from eating really bad to trying to eat better, but without specific goals, it's easy to slide back into old habits.

Good luck! You can do it!

Cerise "Mama" Outhier said...

Hi, my name is Cerise, and I'm overweight. There, I said it! Thank you for giving me the courage to at least say, even though the entire world won't see it here =) Baby steps!

I am totally with you. With the stress (physically & emotionally) these past 2 years, I've gained some unwanted pounds. The doctor says it's totally understandable under the circumstances, but I still need to take it off! Good for you for putting together a reasonable plan to turn things around ~ no fad diets or other measures that are harmful to your body. I'll be checking in our your progress, cheering you on! And maybe, just maybe, I'll give you an update on my progress!

You're awesome!

Amanda said...

You can do it! I have been participating in a fitness challenge for the past 4 mos. While my results haven't been perfect, I'm doing WAY better than I was before I started this. Our last monthly challenge has been eating 3 servings of veggies every day. I now keep pea pods, red bell peppers, and cucumbers--which I only had occasionally before--in my fridge for snacking. I also make my own homemade low-fat ranch for the days I want something with the veggies. (Which is most days!) It has certainly helped expand my veggie repertoire, which used to consist of carrots, broccoli, and salad. I think you'll do great with your challenge! Any improvement is STILL am improvement!

Jordan McCollum said...

Good goals, Shannon! I am sugar FIEND, and having lots of family visiting and doing as many candy factory tours as we could find did NOT help.

I just started trying to get in shape again (well, I did some in February, even counting calories (which was really effective, I hate to admit).

I've been trying to do the kind of meal plan you see on those "lose 5 lbs in 2 weeks" with such-and-such food: breakfast and lunch are dairy, grain and fruit, dinner is lean protein (or whatever I made), snacks are veggies. As long as I have prepared veggies in the fridge, like Amanda said, it's good!

Good luck!

Lindsey said...

I'm totally on the fat detox right now! I've been eating healthy and working out vigorously for about six weeks now. I use a good journal app, which I love, because it makes me accountable for everything. Also, I start each morning with a green smoothie! Really filling and incredibly nutritious. A great way to sneak in some fruits (and lots and lots of spinach!) You can't even taste the spinach. I promise.

Lana said...

You go girl! :)

Cami said...

These goals look great to me! Honestly, they seem small yet very challenging so that's a great place to start. I don't exercise at all so 5 days sounds like a lot and I failed miserably when I tried to cut back on eating out! I love veggies but it takes a lot for me to eat fruit for whatever reason. Anyway, I should probably take on your goals as well! Maybe I'll put them into my happiness project again and work on being healthier also. Way to go! Keep reporting back even if you didn't do well. Be honest with yourself and keep trying.

Kate said...

I don't think your goals sound lame at all! Good job putting them out there. Can't wait to hear how things are going :)

J, J and B said...

Public goals are great motivation!! I've read it takes 2 weeks to rid your body of withdrawals from excess sugars...so in the meantime, do what you're doing (so great). Slow and steady!! Good luck!!