The point is that on Thursdays I just have to plan on getting nothing done and just taking care of kids. It's funny though because every week I seem to manage to get all three kids sleeping at once. It only lasts 10-30 minutes, but I always am in awe that it even happens.
Davin is not a good napper and doesn't usually sleep during the day for longer than an hour. It is SO infuriating. Weston is a superb napper. As an infant I actually worried about him because at 9 months he was still sleeping 16-18 hours a day. He is almost 3 years old and still takes a daily 2 hour nap. Sometimes that is more than Davin gets!
We all need sleep. Some of us more than others. I fall into the "more than others" category. In my pre-kids days I would get cranky if I went more than one night in a row without getting my 9-10 hours. Now I generally get 7-8 and I am always tired. The other thing is that I HATE waking up in the night. It is so annoying, especially if there is no screaming baby to blame.
I had a bad night last night. I went to bed late (for me) at almost 11pm. I then proceeded to wake up 5 different times (only once with Davin) before my alarm went off at 6:30am. I think it's funny how worked up people get about sleep. It is such a big deal. I am a horrible, mean person in the middle of the night. I snap and grumble and blame and sometimes cry because all I want is sleep and I know I'm not going to get it and I'm going to be tired for the rest of my life.
Sigh. I know I'm not the only one who gets this way. My friend told me her agreement with her hubby. There were weeks of getting in fights in the middle of the night about who would get up with the baby and saying not nice things to each other. In the light of day the words didn't mean much and the anger went away, but the sting kind of remained. So they decided "what happens in the middle of the night, stays in the middle of the night."
I really like this motto. I always feel so disgusting and guilty when I wake up after a night where I've ranted under my breath and snapped at Ian because I wasn't sleeping and he can sleep through a train wreck. I never would say crap like that in a normal awake state of mind. Anyway, what do you do to cope with lack of sleep with your family? In the end, the only real solution is to get more sleep, right? I'll work on that.
11 comments:
that picture!! too funny!!
I am always lacking sleep....bedtime around here is usually midnight for me....I'm so bad! Still looking for ways to cope....it's impossible to get a nap in. I figure I'll probably just be tired.....forever?
hehe, hilarious pic. hope the sleeping improves :)
I used to get frustrated at Eli because he could sleep anytime and anywhere. But then I realized that I'd rather at least one of us get some sleep, because if we're both cranky at the same time, every problem gets blown out of proportion. It's so frustrating when you can't sleep--lately I feel like I spend half my night waking up to go to the bathroom.
This may be annoying or it may make you feel better, I don't know. But I heard a study on talk radio that said that women who got 10 hours of sleep a night had like a 60-something percent higher rate of heart disease, and women who got less than 6 hours had like a 15% higher rate. So they were really promoting only getting 8 hours. So I guess you may be cranky but at least you won't have a heart attack?
I love these pictures you guys find. I am always amazed at how appropriate to your post and funny they are.
Oh, I need my sleep too!!! It is one thing I am dreading add another little one (that you know WILL be up in the middle of the night for sure for a long time) into the sceem of things. I would have to say that When Brayden was born Brian and I made the deal that I took the baby and he had TAnner (who is NOT a good sleeper). Sometimes I actually lucked out more than him. This time I don't know what we will do. I am worried a crying baby is going to be waking my other 2 more than is going to make me happy. But,I find I have to get a nap from time to time or I DON'T surive. It is tuff. Pretty much I collapse at night a lot lately because I am just exhausted. We also have a very early bedtime at our house so I can have a little bit of peace and quiet and still go to bed at a reasonable hour. Keep hanging in there Shannon.
The dreaded lack of sleep syndrome... no one fully explained that to me before I entered mommyhood. No one knows unless they are a mother, hang in there. I too watch my sister's two kids on Thursdays, it's so bad that I usually don't even shower on those days.
Feeling your pain here. I know it's going to be extra bad when Jim is up too. Last night was one of those not fun nights. If it wasn't one child, it was another. Anyway, here's to a better night tonight.
(I did manage to get a nap today...thank heavens for Jim being home every other Friday.)
LOVE IT!! We absolutely are adopting that motto: what happens in the night stays in the middle of the night. I feel like I could have written that post myself - you are not alone, 9 hours a night is all I can do to stay sane...sounds pathetic, but Tyler would rather get up in the morning with the kids than deal with my wrath, sad.
I hear you dude. Pre-baby, I would sleep nine hour nights and a two hour nap every day it was possible. And, now "motherhood" has become synonymous with "sleepless zombie mom". Hang in there. Only 25 more years or so until the kids are out of the house right? :)
I'm right there with you. However I'm spoiled right now because my husband is in school (you will not hear me use that phrase anywhere but where sleep is concerned). He doesn't have to be to school until 9 or later on some days, so if I've been up with the kids he'll let me sleep until he leaves. Okay, and honestly, even if HE got up with the kids, I sleep until he leaves.
The sound machine also did it for us. Kyle is a great sleeper with his machine. He even sleeps well whenever we travel as long as we have it. We also just run Claire's humidifier in her room, and I think it helps.
I am a beast if I can't fall asleep or if I get woken up. When Graham and I went on vacation with my family, we shared a room with my dad. My dad started snoring right off, which meant I could not fall asleep. I seriously started convulsing in the bed because I was trying to knock myself out to get some sleep. Honestly, sleep is one of the most important things in my life. :)
Post a Comment