Thursday, February 12, 2009

Hey Sugar

The title of this post makes me smile simply because I can only hear my dad saying those words. He often referred to his four daughters as "sugar." I loved it. It made me feel special. It still does since I still get a little "Hey Sugar" every now and then. Speaking of sugar, I decided that my once yearly baking and decorating of sugar cookies would be for Valentine's Day. Last night Weston helped me make the dough. It was a double batch, but still no match for my Kitchen Aid. After Weston went to bed I spent an hour and a half rolling, cutting and baking all the cookies. I should have counted how many I baked. Oh well.

This morning my friend, Tara, was supposed to come over with her kids to help us decorate all these cookies, but alas, her car was not cooperating, so we headed to her house instead. The 3 year olds each frosted and sprinkled 2 cookies, ate them, then headed off to play with an "I'm done!" That was fine by me. Tara and I got to spend a good hour just visiting and frosting cookies. A good time was had by all. The cookies taste amazing, which would explain why that is all I've had to eat today. Oops. :) Good thing I will be giving most of them away.

Here are the kids licking the frosting beaters. Talk about a sugar rush. I would also like to point out that these 2 are almost exactly 2 months apart, but Kenzi is SO tall and Weston is extra short. What a pair.
Check out the concentration on Weston's face while frosting his second cookie. I love that he is sticking out his tongue. I always did that as a kid when I was concentrating and still do as an adult on occasion.
The finished product. We just did kissy lips and little hearts. These are plates for neighbors and ladies in my ward.
Lastly a random pic of my newest cowboy. He had so much fun playing with Weston's hat while his brother napped.
I hope everyone has a fabulous Valentine's Day with their sweetie(s). Don't forget to spread the love. Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

Addendum:
If you would also like to get in the Valentine's Day spirit and do sugar cookies, here is the recipe:

Sour Cream Sugar Cookies

1 c. sugar
1/2 c. shortening
2 eggs
1 c. sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
3 c. flour

Mix all ingredients 3 at a time starting at the top. When dough is well mixed, refrigerate for about an hour. Using lots of sprinkled flour roll out dough and cut with cookie cutters. Place cookies on greased cookies sheets and bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes (depending on how thick you roll out the dough). I try to roll out the dough about 1/4 inch thick or less. They will rise in the oven. I did all mine for 8 minutes. I also doubled this recipe and it made 3 trays FULL of frosted cookies.

Powdered Sugar Frosting

1 c. butter softened
1-2 tsp. vanilla
milk
1 pound powdered sugar

Mix everything together using a little bit of milk, then add milk 1 Tbls. at a time until you get the consistency you want. Divide frosting into multiple bowls to color.

16 comments:

Liz Smith said...

mmmmm...those look super cute and delicious! happy early valentines day! :)

Anonymous said...

I bet you spent a lot of time rolling and cutting and baking a double batch of cookie dough! It truly makes a lot of cookies. I understand eating them all day. I can hardly stop eating them once I start!! Ours, of course, are all gone. But we only made a single batch and Joy took half of them home. Your kissy lips are cute. We only did big, medium, and small hearts. Yea, that tomorrow is Friday!! Did the package come yet??

Hilary said...

Oh, I'm jealous . . . I've been thinking about making cookies all week to take around to neighbors and stuff. Although, I realize I have no taste tested sugar cookie recipe (or cookie cutters for that matter!) You should post your recipe if it's not too much trouble!!

Tara said...

Great pics, I love Weston's spare hand too when he was frosting. Man those cookies... it was all I could do not to eat that whole plate after you left. Justin was also having a hard time controlling himself. They just melt! I'm getting requests for the recipe now that I called them the krispy kremes of cookies... so if it's not secret, please share. I have Justin's mom's recipe which might be the same, I think you just did a better job on your cooking time than I do. And the whipped frosting was awesome.

joyous said...

Good work keeping the sugar cookie tradition alive, sister! I love the kissy lips, they are so big. It really is so much easier to keep it simple. It also is really nice to have help with any part of it. It was so fun to do it with Mom, Dad and Jules this week. I have done it by myself for so many years now.

I totally ate a ton of them on the way home from Mom's too. They are super addicting!!!

Jackie H said...

I wish I lived nearer to you to share in your Valentine giving!

Weird that you rolled and cut the cookies after Weston went to sleep...You don't like someone touching, licking, eating, and throwing the dough while you're trying to work? (Cooking with Claire is the true test of my patience.)

jenn (+ will) said...

the song is by neutral milk hotel...but i can't remember the name of it. sorry! it's good huh?

Jared said...

I am logged into Jared's gmail account...this is Delia.

You are such a fun mom. Those cookies look delicious. Our sugar cookie recipe is a sour cream one too. It makes them sooooo moist!

Happy Valentines Day!

heather said...

i love to bake and i LOVE sugar cookies! thanks for the recipe- i'm going to try it. my favorite are the lips!

Beth said...

Yum! I love the lip cookies!

Karisty said...

No one can beat Grandmas sugar cookie recipe! love it!

Tasha said...

So fun! your cookies turned out looking great too. I have been eating way too many cookies at my house too! Luckily I have mostly eatten none frosted one.

The Curnow Family said...

Wow, that's so fun! I love sugar cookies, I need to make some one of these days!!

Hilary said...

Awesome . . . thanks for the recipe!

Glen & Kat said...

How fun--good for you. Those cookies look amazing! I actually made sugar cookie dough on Valentine's Day, but never got around to rolling it, cutting it, and baking it. So it's still sitting in my fridge. Oops :) I'm glad you got to the finished product. P.S. Thanks so much for letting us come play for a day. We had a blast and wish we could do it more often.

Olson Family said...

aww the lips are cute!! we decorated sugar cookies with the girls as said by mom and joy! I had a lot of fun... such a fun tradition. then grandma and grandpa dropped some off.. for some reason hers just always taste a little bit better. hmmm maybe its that grandma love ;)