Monday, February 2, 2009

Party Time!

I am going to post the birthday extravaganza weekend a little out of order, starting with Weston's birthday party! This was the first kid birthday party that I had thrown. It was a lot of fun. I think Weston enjoyed it too. ;) The party was at noon, so I spent all morning cleaning, decorating, putting together food, etc. Weston ran around and kept asking when his friends were coming.

Here is the big 3 year old birthday boy.
The party had a "sports" theme, so I made baseball and basketball cupcakes. They turned out pretty cute. For future reference, has anyone ever found black writing icing at the grocery store and if so, what brand? Anyway, we also did some fun treat bags for the guests and included little soft baseballs, party blowers, candy and a balloon. You can kind of see them in the background of the cupcakes.
15 minutes before party time and we were all pretty excited.
Weston and his buddy, Makenzie play fighting. I love the face Kenz is making in this picture. Also, despite the sports theme Weston insisted on wearing his pirate hat for most of the party.
All four birthday guests (Mason, Makenzie, Weston, and Jarom). I did not attempt any organized party games. The kids just got out all the toys and played and played and played.
Dawnie playing with Dav. It was a miracle that he wasn't crying since he is not in my arms. We have officially entered the extreme cling stage.
After we all ate pizza and chips the adults hung out in the kitchen and the kids migrated to the bedroom and living room to play. After a bit, Weston asked if he could open presents. He was quite the champ present opener and got some really fun gifts . . . THANKS everyone!
His final present was a tricycle from Ian and I. He was pretty stoked. He is not very good at riding it yet and is still a little short for it, but I'm sure by summer he'll get the hang of it.
After we opened presents Weston just wanted to open them all and play with them. I had to tear him away to blow out candles and do cupcakes. He knew exactly what to do and blew out all his candles in one try. He got a little embarrassed while we were singing to him. I almost thought he might cry, but he was ok.
Davin thought those party blowers were hilarious. Weston kept blowing it right at Dav and making him laugh.
Everyone slowly left and we got things cleaned up. After everything settled down we opened Weston's new pirate chest toy from Grandma B and Grandpa Bob. Weston thinks it's pretty great, but I did have to hide all the tiny pieces.
All in all I would say the birthday party was a success. To be honest though I may regret having my boys so close together. When Davin is older and I have 2 parties to put on just two months apart I may be too tuckered out. :) I'm so glad that all our friends could come play with us and I'm thankful for my cute Weston boy for providing us with a good excuse to party!

11 comments:

Hilary said...

He looks so cute in that pirate hat! :-) Looks like he had a blast . . . can't believe he's three already! I remember seeing him the day you guys came home from the hospital!

Anonymous said...

I"m pretty sure you can handle two parties two months apart. Come on, your my daughter, after all!! The pirate treasure chest does look cute. I'm glad we got it after he wore his pirate hat all day!! That makes me smile :-) Looks like a pretty successful party! Even Davin looked like he was having a blast!

Tara said...

You are good at documenting things. I did a terrible job with Makenzie's party... I have a lot of pictures, but I still regret not trying to get a picture of all the kids together.
I thought Weston was going to cry because I told him Kenz was going to blow his candles out if he didn't hurry (I felt bad), so that makes me feel better if he was just a little nervous about the singing to him thing (that makes me uncomfortable, too).
And yeah, Makenzie is always good for a goofy-faced picture (and snot faced, too). She likes sword fighting but the poor thing gets so scared!
You threw a great party and my kids loved their treat bags (me too, hehe). :)

jilljohnson said...

Looks like a great birthday. I love the cupcakes!

Emilee said...

I'm glad that the party went well. I'm very impressed with the cupcakes. Thanks for letting us hang out on Friday.

Beth said...

Cute pictures! I love the cupcakes!

Olson Family said...

Looks like a success!! Both boys looked like they had a blast!! I love little kids birthday parties!! Wow ok I just looked at what I wrote then read moms... we basically said the same thing. scary. haha no but seriously glad everything went well! :)

joyous said...

So fun!!! That last picture with his pirate hat and his pirate chest open is WAY too cute. Your cupcakes turned out awesome and they look great on the stand. What a fun time! He looks like such a big boy on his tricycle too. He's going to love that!

I feel your pain about birthdays close. Lizzie and Rachel's are only like 3 weeks apart! Luckily Lizzie already has her party planned, so it shouldn't be a big deal. ;)

Unknown said...

If you have your own icing tips, you can just take regular white icing and add cocoa powder to it. Makes it a nice dark brown, but that is close enough to black. If you don't have cake decorating icing tips, sorry, I have no idea how to help. :)

The Curnow Family said...

Oh my goodness he is so big!! Those cupcakes are supe rduper cute! you're such a fun mom!! and you have many more birthdays to be creative! ha hurray!!

Tasha said...

That looked like the perfect 3 year old party. Way to go you! I am glad it all worked out and it sounded like everyone had a great time :)