Saturday, June 9, 2012

Fun in the Garden

No we don't have a garden.  We don't even have flowers in our front planter.  Plants intimidate me, but I sure like to look at them and I'm very impressed with people who can grow them.  We went to the Thanksgiving Point Children's Garden on Friday as our outing.  It was such a blast!  We hadn't been there in a long time (over a year).  They had changed a few of the exhibits so there were fun, new things to see and do.  I also didn't bring the stroller, which was a gamble that ended up paying off.  Talia wandered and was a pretty good trooper about walking where I needed her to go.

When we got there the fountains were off.  Not only were they off, but there were orange cones and caution tape blocking the Noah's ark fountain off.  I asked the girl at the front when she thought they might be turned on.  She said possibly later that day.  We had brought our bathing suits and towels and left them in the car.

So we headed on through the gardens.  Everyone loved the bear cave, even though they took out the bear.  It's still dark and echoey and has tunnels to climb in.  Talia loved the fountain and playing in the water erosion display.  She found a favorite rock to hang onto and wouldn't let go.  She was also pretty fascinated by the metal animal sculptures, especially the ducks. 
 
 
The boys fed the fish and floated lots of plastic "boats" down the mini river.  They also loved the new play web!  The display is supposed to show how all living and non-living things are interconnected and how a change in one aspect affects the whole.  I read the display to them, but I'm not sure if it sunk in since they were already climbing by then.  :)
By the time we made our way back to the front of the garden the fountains were on!  The boys were so excited.  We went to the car and changed then came back to play and all of them were off again.  What the heck?!?  It took about 10 minutes before they started to slowly, intermittently shoot water again, but it was enough and everyone had a ton of fun playing in the water until it was time to go.

When we got home we were starving.  Everyone ate a big lunch, then it was nap time for me and Talia and screen time for the boys.  It was a good day.  Friday night I got to spend time hanging out with Mel.  We went out to dinner at Rubio's then did a little shopping for our upcoming trip to CA for Jules' wedding.  As soon as I got home Ian had his turn and headed out to see Prometheus with some guys from work.

This morning I got my hair cut.  I debated with myself about whether or not I should attempt getting it cut by a new stylist so soon before the wedding.  It could have been tragic, but it's not.  I LOVE it!  The girl who did it even knew how to round brush!  I couldn't have been happier.  Now I have cute hair for the wedding and I have a stylist and salon that are close enough to be a return customer!

We have spent the rest of today getting more boxes unpacked and sorting through the garage enough to park the van in there.  It's been a busy weekend so far and I think I'm going to soak in the bath after the kiddos are all in bed.  Yes, I think I will.

3 comments:

Liz Smith said...

i can't wait till i have a little land and can plant a garden, even though i don't know the first thing about it and tend to kill any plant that comes into my possession. I'm sure you'll master it someday! i can't wait to see pics of your sister's wedding and your cute hair, although your hair always looks perfect. have fun in CA!

joyous said...

You have been a busy girl. :) Can't wait to see you and squeeze that Talia girl. (Dang she is getting big!)

Kate said...

You are a brave and adventurous girl for getting your haircut somewhere new before the big event! I hope you guys are liking your new house and area. If all goes as planned, we'll see you at Jules reception :)