Monday, March 4, 2013

Davin-My Middle Child

I cannot believe that it has only been a week since I last posted because we were so busy and so much happened, but I have really been wanting to do a post about Davin, so that's what we're doing today.  There will be a catch up post later this week.

Davin is such a cute, funny, sweet kid.  He also gets lost in the shuffle sometimes.  I underestimate him.  He is truly my middle child.  Weston is the oldest, Talia is the girl, and Beck is the baby.  Davin has carved out a little place somewhere in the middle.

The last couple of weeks I have all of the sudden realized how grown up my little almost 5 year old is becoming!  He has been doing so amazing at school and I just didn't see it before now.  I always knew Davin was bright, but he is not as verbally advanced as Weston was at this age, so I figured he would be more of a middle of the road kind of kid.  I'm not so sure about that.

At the beginning of the year Davin started working on sight words in preschool.  He brought home lists to practice and learn, then pass off.  There were 7 lists.  He has now passed them all off.  He was so enthusiastic about learning his words and practicing writing them.  Now that he has learned all of his sight words he gets new take home reading books.  He loves having homework like Weston and is doing really well with sounding out (and guessing based on the pictures) the words he doesn't know.  I'm very impressed.

He also loves playing Weston's math games.  For homework some weeks Weston will have a math game to play where you roll dice and subtract the smaller number from the bigger one or add them both together.  Davin is actually pretty good at these games and only needs a little help from me.  I had no idea he knew all of this stuff!  That probably makes me sound like a horrible parent, but Davin is such a creative, imaginative little soul that it's easy to assume he's just not paying attention or interested when we talk about numbers and letters.  I'm so glad that he is and I'm so proud of his enthusiasm for learning!

Davin really loves school.  Last week he got to bring home the letter bag.  The letter that week was "P" and he had a blast going around the house and finding items to take to show his class that started with the letter P.  He filled up his "P" bag and then got to present his things to his class during their pirate party.  It was a really fun day for him.

Here he is with all of his items that begin with P. (puzzle, plane, pirate puppet, Perry the Platypus, person, Power Ranger, pants, panda, puppy, picture, piece, Pez, and pom pom)

This was after school when he did his President's Day craft.  Too cute!

I also really really love his imagination.  He makes things up all day long and will often entertain himself for hours building with Legos or just plain old playing pretend.  He will pass up outings to stay home and play in the basement.

Davin is a tiny little thing, but he is truly growing all the time.  I hope that I will always remember to expect the best from him and not let him fall between the cracks as my attention is easily pulled toward the other kiddos.  I love my Dav!

5 comments:

Dad said...

Your Mom & I had the same experience with you. We were so focused on teaching Joy to read and working with her we were surprised when we discovered that you had been sitting there quietly taking it all in. Your kids are all going to be bright and wonderful in their own ways. It is hard to divide the time but I am sure you will do great.

joyous said...

He's just so dang cute!! Always the happy grin on that kid. He sounds like he's had an awesome year in preschool too. But I just can't believe he's going to be FIVE!!!!!

Alyse said...

Oh little David man. It seems like yesterday I was holding him for the first time when he was only an hour old. Can't believe he's going to be five! Love and hugs from all of us.

elizabeth said...

I was going to say the same thing as Dad. . . you were always trying to keep up with Joy. You wanted to do workbooks and homework etc. and you were cute, funny, and little, just like Dav!! Love you both!!

Denny said...

I am so tickled with the Dav Man! He is so creative,fun and excited. I am so glad he loves learning and school.