Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Surprise! I'm 30!

I have been well aware of my 30th birthday slowly sneaking up on me for the last few months, but it hadn't phased me.  I really am not freaked out about being 30. It makes me sound like a real adult, but I've got four kids, so I'm thinking that's a good thing? I'll tell you one thing, I was super excited to celebrate my official adulthood!  

Melanie and Ian put their heads together and planned a really fun party for me.  I knew about it and I was looking forward to it.  What I didn't know was that at about 3am on Friday morning my mom and CA sisters pulled up to my house and snuck into my basement for a few hours of sleep before surprising me for a weekend of birthday fun!

Friday morning I got up with Weston and Beckett.  Davin and Talia randomly slept in.  Weston headed off to school.  Mel texted me and let me know she needed to stop by and pick up some papers from her stuff in the basement.  This is not unusual and didn't raise any flags.  She showed up at about 7:30 and I headed down to the basement with her.  I turned on the lights and SURPRISE! there were my mommy and sisters!  I seriously was shocked and couldn't believe they were there.  I cried.  And I'm not a crier (although in my newfound adulthood I seem to be turning into one).  It was seriously an awesome surprise and I'm impressed that they pulled it off.

On Friday morning we just all hung out and showered for the day.  Our friend, Natalie, came over for lunch and we had a fun time visiting while Davin was at school.  Mel and I got our birthday presents from Mom and Dad: ukuleles!  So fun!  Joy gave us uke bags and Jules made us these really cute framed quotes that said "I love you a bushel and a peck." Sentimental because our Grandpa Snowball used to sing us that song all the time.  What fun gifts!

Friday night was girls' night.  We headed to Red Robin for dinner to celebrate Mel's birthday.  It was so yummy and fun!  We laughed a lot and talked a lot and sang a little.  We overran the ladies restroom, joked around with our waitress, sang Happy Birthday in harmony to Mel, and had to request more ranch at least 3 times.

After dinner we did a little shopping, of course.  Nothing major since the stores were only open for about an hour by the time we finished dinner.  But we got some makeup, clothes, jewelry, nail polish, and hair accessories.  By the time we got home and chilled with Ian and Brad for a bit it was beyond time for bed!

Saturday morning Mom and I went shopping at Kohl's.  It was fun and successful.  I was proud of myself for finding great deals and getting stuff I actually needed.  I found capris and a few spring tops.  And even had saved my Christmas gift card for it!

That afternoon Ian and my sisters went and set up for my party while Mom and I rested with the kids and I got a ukulele lesson.  We also fed Beckett rice cereal for the first time.  That will get it's own post. Saturday night was my big party!

It was such a blast! It was all decked out with fun decorations and balloons.  There was a salsa bar, fruit with fruit dip, M&M's, and drinks.  Lots of my friends were able to come hang out and wish me a happy birthday.  We played a couple of games, but mostly just visited and listened to music.  There was an Apples to Apples type of game where each guest picked a card with a word that described me and then I got to pick which one of those I liked the best.  It was really fun and everyone (almost . . . Quinn) picked such nice words to describe me.  :)

The other game was a 2 Truths and a Lie worksheet about me.  There were five sets of three "facts" about me and the guests had to figure out which one of the 3 facts was a lie.  It was kind of funny and I was impressed that my friend, Michael Ann got all of them right!

Everyone sang and we had cake and ice cream.  It was really a super fun night.  I felt so loved and grateful to have so many wonderful people in my life.  I am definitely a lucky girl.

Sunday was my real, actual 30th birthday.  In the morning Mom, Joy and Jules packed up and headed back to California.  I was sad to see them leave but I am so glad they made the trip out.  It was really wonderful to have all of us girls together for a few days.

Ian and I were pretty exhausted so it was a nice, low key day.  We didn't go anywhere.  Just stayed home all together and watched movies.  I opened my presents from Ian and Jim and Denny at lunch and I got lots of old movies to add to my classics collection.  7 Brides for 7 Brothers, Thoroughly Modern Millie, The Sound of Music, and The King and I.  I made corned beef and cabbage for dinner but it didn't turn out very good.  Kind of a bummer.  We ate leftover cake from my party and I got sang to again.  I went to bed early.  Like an old person should do.  It was a good day.  A good birthday weekend.  And now I'm 30!

5 comments:

Glen & Kat said...

What a fun weekend! I'm glad you started the new decade out with a bang.

Pamela said...

Happy Birthday!!! Btw...you look fabulous! Have you been losing weight? I love that your mom and sisters surprised you. You have such a fun family! I miss living by Betsy. Tell her I say hi next time you talk to her :)

Leiandra said...

Oh man! Now you're OLD! Like the crypt keeper!!! (That was for Quinn. High Five! lol) (And if you're old, what does that make me???) Happy Birthday.

joyous said...

WOhoo!!! It was such a fun weekend! So low key and relaxed. I loved getting to surprise you too. :) Your party was awesome (go Mel and Ian) and it was great to celebrate your new decade with you.

Liz Smith said...

yay!! welcome to the 30s club. it's actually quite fabulous!