Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Davin's 7th Minecraft Birthday Party

I wasn't sure if Davin was going to want a big birthday party, but after we did Weston's he chose a party. He wanted a Minecraft party because he eats, sleeps, and breathes Minecraft. Both big boys are obsessed with it. Luckily my boys aren't the only ones who love Minecraft and I was able to find a ton of party ideas on Pinterest. 

I decided that doing the party at the church would be the easiest. We got a sitter for Talia and Beckett again too. The party was a total success. Mel and Wilson came to help out. It was perfect! We kept it simple with the decor. Balloons, crepe paper, green table cloths, and I found a few large 8 Bit cut outs for the wall at Zurcher's. I didn't do a meal at this party, just snacks and cake.
When guests arrived we had them start doing melty bead crafts and get some food. Davin has loved melty beads for awhile now, but they work particularly well with the pixelated look of Minecraft. I had printed out a few patterns to make Minecraft bead creations. Some kids did the patterns and some kids just did whatever they wanted. They all seemed to love it. We had an eerily quiet group of 15 kids for awhile.

Melty bead crafting took the first 45 minutes. After that we played Pin the Tail on the Pig. I made the Minecraft style pig based on a picture from Pinterest. Instead of a blindfold we covered up the eye holes of the Minecraft Steve head mask (also found at Zurcher's). The kids played this game over and over again until the tape on their tails lost their stick.
Next on the agenda was presents and cake. Davin got lots of fun gifts. I got some of the sparkler candles for his cake hoping it would look like TNT (from Minecraft). It was pretty funny. Davin particularly struggles with blowing out candles, but it was less embarrassing since the sparkler candles flicker back on anyway. The friends ended up helping him get them all out. :) Love my cute Dav man!
After cake and presents some kids worked on more melty bead creations while others played some made up dodgeball-ish game with a ball I had brought. Once everyone was done with cake we gathered the group back together and started them on a scavenger hunt. The rule was they had to stay together, but after the first couple of clues they sort of devolved into a split group. They liked the scavenger hunt though and eventually found the treasure box outside. It was filled with gold ingot boxes that I found on Amazon. The boxes had a finger flashlight inside. There was also a fun size bag of M&M's for each kid.
The last activity was Minecraft bingo. I didn't actually have any prizes for bingo though so it was a little anticlimactic. Still fun though. By the time we were done with Bingo parents were arriving. It was a really fun party! The kids got to take home their melty bead crafts and their treasure. Most importantly Davin had a great time with all his cute friends. Happy Happy 7th Birthday Davin!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

sounds like you nailed it! :)

joalvinoth said...

I absolutely loved reading this post. Thanks for making the article interesting and informative till the end!
Gifts in Coimbatore Keep inspiring us.

Paige said...

my nephew just had a minecraft birthday party too! its like little boy crack. Well, good job being a cool mom, it looks like it was a lot of fun. :D