Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Bowles Update

Davin has been officially 6 months old for a few weeks now, but we just barely went to the doctor for his 6 month check up today. It went well. He is a healthy, growing boy.
Stats:
Height: 27", 73% (one of my kids is tall? what?!?)
Weight: 15 lbs. 5 oz., 15% (he's still runty though)
Head: 50% (I never remember the actual measurement)

Both the boys got flu shots too. I was pretty worried about Weston. He can be such a wuss sometimes. I didn't tell him he was getting a shot too until Davin was all done. Then he went to open the door and I said, "Wait, Weston, you are going to get one too, so you don't get sick this winter." Weston: "I don't want one!" Well, he didn't put up much of a fight and ended up not even crying. Just as the prick was registering, the fabulously fast nurse said, "All done!" and gave him a Bugs Bunny bandaid. He was great about it. He was happy to pick a Superman sticker too. We ended up not leaving for another 30-40 minutes because we had to take Weston to the potty, check out, I fed Dav in the waiting room, then Weston had to go to the potty AGAIN. Sheesh kid. It was still a pretty successful trip to the doctor's office.

We have been spending a little more time home and inside now that the weather is colder. Weston wants to take pictures with the camera all the time. He is getting better and better. He took this one of me and Davin a couple days ago. It's a little blurry, but still pretty good.
We have also been playing more "quiet" games. Weston calls anything that we play indoors quiet. He still loves these blocks. Yesterday we built robots. Here is a picture of my gopher child posing with our creations.
Weston is such a crack up. This is my favorite recent story about him. To preface, I was sitting in the armchair in the den feeding Davin a bottle. Weston was perched up on the arm of the couch next to me, but facing away from me "reading" the newspaper. He sits there "reading" for a few minutes then turns around and looks at me and says:
W: Mom, hero work is great.
Me: Hero work?
W: Yes, hero work is great.
Me: Well, I'm glad that hero work is going well.
W: No Mom, it's great.
Me: Oh right. Who does hero work? (I'm expecting him to say Mr. Incredible because they use the term hero work in that movie)
W: Uncle Eli and Superman do hero work.

I couldn't help laughing. Uncle Eli drives an ambulance for AMR. Weston also has a Sesame Street book about who heroes are. One of the pages talks about ambulance workers being heroes. So, pretty impressive that Uncle Eli ranks way up there with Superman. :)

I am getting very excited for my trip to California next week! Actually we are leaving this Saturday. I'm going to take the boys by myself. I'm a twinge nervous about the flight, but hopefully I will sit next to someone nice, or even better, no one at all and have an extra seat! The next few days are going to fly as we get things ready for the trip and do a little last minute playing here in Utah. To all my CA family and buddies, I can't wait to see you!!! Let the countdown begin . . .

17 comments:

heather said...

Isn't it an unexpected treat to have a good experience at the doctor's office?

Emilee said...

Eli and I loved the story about hero work. I think Eli will be a little bit happier to go into work tonight knowing that he ranks with Superman in Weston's eyes.

Anonymous said...

Fun Stuff! Yay for Davin being a healthy boy, and Weston is a crack up! can't wait to spend time with him in November!

Kyle and Jillian said...

I loved the doctor visit story. You seem like such a natural mother of boys for having grown up with all girls. Oh, and I read your blog about organizing and I'm going to try to use some of your ideas! Thanks! We'll see if I can ever get fully organized. Kyle and I will definitely come to a dinner at Natalie's. Have fun in California!

monique said...

Yay!
I'm counting down until sunday, I can't wait to see all of you. Your little ones are just adorable, I want a picture with them!

Anonymous said...

are we still on for the 25th around 3 or 4? can't wait!!

Unknown said...

Weston is so funny! I really want to meet him someday! I loved the story about the doc and the hero work!

Hilary said...

That's so cute about the hero thing! Annie runs around our house with her arms outstretched, crying, "Look at me Mom, I'm flying, I'm a fireman!"

Anonymous said...

As soon as I go to bed tonight it will be two more days. Next week is going to be such a wasted, distracted week at work. I got the pirate costume and some fun Halloween crafts to do while the cousins are here:-) Should be fun!!

Tara said...

At first I thought you said she was a fabulously fat nurse. I thought that was an interesting description so I went back and read it, haha. I need to get my kids their flu shots, I keep thinking about your flu experience.

I think that is an awful lot of connections that Weston made to say that Uncle Eli was doing hero work. Hero book/Incredibles movie/real life uncle... pretty impressive. Cute story.

Ok, so to be honest, we MIGHT not make it to story time tomorrow, but it's possible. I'm gonna have to play it by ear. I'm a little scarred from my experience last time=).

Anonymous said...

i think a park or a playground would be best. a place where the boys can play and be boys. Tri-city is always an option.

Glen & Kat said...

What great stats and cute stories. Have so much fun with your family. Good luck with your flight--I'm sure you'll be fine.

Dawnie said...

That's a cute story about Weston. He's so funny! I'm going to miss you so much when you're gone :( But I'm so glad you get to see your family. I'm really just jealous ;) I'll talk to you when you get back I guess. See ya!

sara said...

I'm glad the doctor's office wasn't too bad. I got my flu shot at work this past week and even I hate getting shots! I'm glad Weston was awesome for it!

Jared and Delia said...

What cute kids you have. Hero work...

Tasha said...

Yea for a good doctor's appointment. I think I am going to schedule to have both my boys seen at Brayden's 2 year and get TAnner's taken care of for kindergarten. I already have the paper work so might as well. Then I will just have two boys crying and throwing fits and just have one bad day!

I hope you have lots of fun in California. How long are you here for???

The Curnow Family said...

Oh i'm so jealous!! I hope you are having fun! Think of me!! ha Love you guys!