You may (or may not, if you really know me) think that I am a Domestic Goddess. You wouldn't be entirely wrong, just mostly wrong.Domestic Skills I DO NOT possess (or at the very least, am not very good at):
-sewing, crocheting, knitting, etc.
-cooking without recipes
-cooking with ingredients I am not familiar with
-baking bread
-keeping my floors mopped
-providing art projects for Weston
-interior decorating
-cake decorating
-canning
Domestic Skills I Am Pretty Good At:
-baking sweets
-cooking anything from a box, package, can or from the freezer
-cooking with (most) recipes
-vacuuming
-tidying
-doing dishes
-turning on DVD's for my kids
-putting together Weston's Thomas train track
-making beds
-planning outings for my kids
-paying bills
-grocery shopping
-ORGANIZING!
I have decided to share with you my favorite things for performing my domestic duties. First of all, I think I have mentioned before that my house is not always clean, but it is almost always tidy. I'm kind of Type A like that. That is why I have a hard time letting my 2 year old do art projects. I don't like the mess. Anyway, first of all, my all time favorite thing for organizing and keeping my house looking tidy is BINS. I use bins everywhere, in every room of my house.***
Here is Weston posing with the toy bin storage in his room. I love this thing. I think it cost $3o at Target (by Do Your Room). It looks cute and each bin has specific things that go in it (blocks, Thomas tracks, fire truck, potato head, etc.) so that Weston can clean up by himself, since he knows where everything belongs.
This next picture doesn't have much to do with cleaning, but simply an example of my need for organization. Snacks on the top shelf, pasta and cornbread and seasoning packets on the next shelf, baby food (fruit on the right, veggies on the left) on the 3rd shelf, and pancake mix and jarred foods on the bottom. These pantries were the best investment (Target, $40 each).
-Clorox disinfecting wipes. I buy the big 4 pack at Sam's Club and use them for EVERYTHING. Cleaning the bathroom, wiping my kitchen counters, spot cleaning my kitchen tile, cleaning kitchen appliances, wiping doorways and walls, etc.
-Munchkin bottle brush. I hand wash Davin's bottles and this is by far my favorite bottle brush.
-Dirt Devil vacuum. I have an abnormal relationship with vacuuming. I love it. It is my favorite thing to do when I want to feel productive. Vacuuming is so easy and only takes about 15 minutes (if you live in a little one story 1400 sqft house), but also makes the house look so much cleaner! Most bang for your cleaning buck.
-Toilet brush and Lysol Toilet Cleaner. Growing up we did not ever own a toilet brush. I had literally never seen one. We always cleaned toilets by hand with a rag and some Comet. When I grew up and realized they had these handy scrubbing brushes and liquid cleaner that basically did the job for you, I knew I would never go back. I don't resent you for making me do it by hand, Mom. I think it gave me character. :)
-Endust. I love how it makes my furniture shine and actually gets TONS of dust off my dressers, piano, shelves, etc. Do NOT use this stuff on mirrors or glass. It gets very streaky and will not easily be cleaned. Trust me.
If you made it this far in this post, here is a pic of Weston sitting in front of the TV stand. It's a little blurry, but Weston was looking so cute today in his new polo, jeans and tennis shoes. Also note the several bins in the TV stand that keep all the crap contained.
***I counted 31 bins in my house (not including Weston's toy bin storage thing). I got them everywhere from Bed, Bath and Beyond to Dollar Tree.
15 comments:
Very organized.. I'm impressed. Maybe I'll be like you one day when I have kids. :)
you put us all to shame!!!b i love it :)
how much do you charge an hour for your organization? hehe, i love it all shan!
first of all, I think it has been a million years and half since I commented on your blog (due to google reader). SORRY! Will you forgive me? I read a lot, but comment hardly ever.
Ok, I think I am a tidy Type A myself. Dang, I can't even go into our "office" because i don't have bins of shelves for all my craft stuff. What I used in my last apartment was swept off to another function here. I can't stand the huge box filled with a pile of unorganized things. Jeremy doesn't understand. I am so glad you do. I LOVE all your organization nooks and crannies. I hope I can handle the wait between now and four years from now when it feels like I will be at the stage you are!
Yeah, so when can you come over to my house and give me tips!?!
Super impressive!
Thank you, thank you! I liked a lot of your organizing ideas, but especially those dollar bins from walmart for your medicine closet, I am totally going to do that. And I really liked those circle storage things from Ikea. I almost bought Kenz the big net tube one from there but changed my mind. I like the one you got, it's cool! Oh yeah, and I've always liked those storage bin shelves like Weston's toys are in, but I didn't think how handy they would be for the kids to clean up their own toys, you are a genius.
p.s. I'm getting ready to email you those pics from Gardner Village.
Now that you have all your things tucked into nooks and crannies. . . you don't have to call it crap anymore :-) Sigh. . . wishful thinking ;-) By the way, thanks for not resenting me about the toilet cleaning. It was just the way I was taught!! I found an even better way to clean toilets. Her name is Emilia. She'll be doing it while we are at Disneyland!! Well, I better go tidy before you kids come to visit :-) I certainly don't want to drive you crazy. Love ya!
I'm so glad I'm not the only Mom who deprives their child of fun by avoiding all art projects that could make our home a mess. I don't even like when the family buys her toys because in my brain toys=clutter.
well, I'm definitely NOT type A as far as cleanliness goes... but I got the Type A 'have to have things organized' gene too! Sometimes it is really hard to get people to understand that I can't go in and start a new project or work on something in my craft room until all the baby clutter is tucked away into bins and shelves INTENDED for baby stuff rather than just stacked up against the wall or on my desk! Great job on finding the steals, though! Seriously, I'm always blown away with how much organization stuff can cost.
Will you come organize my house? It's clean, but not orderly like yours. I especially love Weston's toy bins. So darn cute.
Okay, I am way way no WAYYYYY impressed!! I love all your bins and organization. There is much to be said for keeping tidy house. I like a tidy house too. Although lately it is going down the hill and driving me NUTS at the same time. But, unforatunatly, I do not have those great organizational stills. I think I need more bins! GO YOU!!! (ANd I love vacuuming too. I definatly would say it is my favorite chore if you have a favorite chore.)
Wow, I'm impressed. I could take a page from your book :)
I had no idea you were so organized. I will spare myself the embarrassment and not post pictures of my closets.
I love the bins. And I love Aunt Betsy's comment on her new way to clean toliets. I wish I had an Emilia!!! Someday, right?!
woah, nice! i hate spending money on organizational stuff but i am always so glad when i do! you need to send a little of your "tidy bug" my way!
Post a Comment