Another action-packed weekend ends, but this time I have something to show for it. Friday night I got my hair done. I love getting my hair done. I love to change my hair color. I have never had the same color done twice in a row. I can't quite figure out the underlying cause for my
haircoloring obsession. It all started in high school. I was not allowed to dye my hair. Finally, my senior year I went on a weekend trip to Big Bear with some friends and while there I decided "no hair dye" was a stupid rule and went ahead and colored my hair (from a box). It was called "Gingerbread" and was maybe one shade different from my natural color. I was sure I would be in trouble, but my mom didn't even notice. After that, coloring my hair became a hobby. My younger sisters have since thanked me for lifting the iron curtain of no hair dye.
I progressively became more and more daring with my hair. After about a year I really wanted purple hair. I was living in the dorms at
BYU, which
serendipitously was only a couple miles from the Paul Mitchell hair school. I got my hair highlighted then had red and purple color weaved in over the highlights. It looked awesome. I loved it. It lasted about 2 weeks before the purple had completely faded. I have since then had many a hair color.
At this point in my life I still can't decide what motivates me to change my hair as much as I do. Is it boredom? Is it my feeble attempts at asserting my independence? Is it me clinging to being young and rebellious when nothing in my life is rebellious and daring anymore? Whatever the reason, I don't see this hobby disappearing in the near future. It is a tiny part of my definition of myself. Here's a walk down my hair's memory lane . . .
I don't have any digital pics from before this time, so we will start with my dark chocolate hair I got a few days before engagement pics. Loved it.

I went ahead and stuck with the more natural dark brown for the big day.

This is possibly the ugliest picture of me on record, but here is the red I added a few months after Ian and I got married. I am lucky that Ian thinks it's fun that I change up my hair often and doesn't openly rebel against my preference for short hair.

A couple months after that, more red and a short do. First bangs since middle school!
Blonde highlights. I think this was my 22
nd birthday.

"I've made a huge mistake." Full on
blonde was and is my only hair regret. It looked horrible on my and I could only stand it for about 6 weeks before I resorted to a box.

I went to NYC for the summer with
blonde hair. It was a bad hair summer. This maroon look was my favorite color from that summer. Props to Ian for coloring it for me!

Blah mousy brownish red. 4
th of July in Central Park.

This started with
blonde highlights that were quickly joined by a red weave. Weston 7 mos.

Working the dark brown, almost black look in the winter. Weston was about 1 here.

Before this latest color I did
blonde highlights and a short cut with bangs. Probably my favorite hair cut of all time.

Half violet, half chocolate brown. The "purple" look I had always wanted has arrived. Not too punk rock purple for a stay-at-home mom, like me, to pull off, but different enough to let people know I'm not completely boring. LOVE IT! Thanks Debbie!

Thanks for joining me for that nostalgic little stroll. I have to say my hair is one of my favorite aspects of my appearance. Although it has it's moments, my hair is generally very cooperative and does what I want it to. I owe it big time for making me look cute (most of the time).
On another hair note, Saturday afternoon I did one of my
YW's hair for the homecoming dance. I thought it turned out pretty good. Especially since it has been years since I did my sister's and roomies' hair and I was never professional. I think she was happy with it. I can't wait to see the pics of her with her hair all done and in her pretty dress.

Saturday night we went to our friends' house for their son's birthday party. Mason turned 2! There were 3 families there and 5 little boys. We had a really good time and the boys played really well together. Balloons were a big hit. Weston tried to hold as many as he could then throw them all in the air at the same time.

There's
Dawnie (Mason's mama) playing with Dav and Weston. They both love her.

Weston made a new friend.
Aiden and Weston played very nicely together, for the most part. here they are playing catch about 6 inches away from each other. It was cute.

Look at those party
poopers. Ian was tuckered out from being with the boys most of the weekend while I had hair adventures and swam. Dav is just being his normal, mellow self.

Davin's first time being a birthday party guest. He was a trooper.

Here are all the big boys during present time. (Mason, Weston,
Aiden)

I felt like I spent most of Sunday cooking, but it was well worth it. I made honey lime enchiladas for dinner. Yum. Then I tried out that gooey pumpkin butter cake for dessert. It wasn't quite what I was expecting, but still delicious. It was more gooey that I imagined. More like pumpkin pie cake. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the rest of it. I certainly can't finish it. Perhaps I will donate it to the cause at
Verite (Ian's work). Anyway, it is nice to be home and back to my normal schedule today.
Sorry this was such a long post. What can I say, it was a long weekend.
20 comments:
HAHAHA I totally remember that Big Bear weekend trip!! Sooo funny being at the store trying to pick out the perfect color. I remember the first time I put highlights in my hair mom looks at me and goes... "oh good, your hair was getting a little mousey." hahaha still makes me laugh.
LOVE the new hair color and cut. It looks fabulous!! Way to go. I actually liked going down memory lane too and seeing the different styles you have had. I am glad you had a good weekend and even a yummy Sunday meal!
Sweet! I love the hair history. :) The purple is cool, subtle, but awesome. What is Ian's favorite color from the Shannon Hair Color Wheel? I hope mine turns out well on Friday. It was fun chatting with you and Weston today, the girls enjoyed it too.
I love the color! And cut! I'm jealous . . . during pregnancy/nursing my hair does CRAZY things when I color it. Bizarre, insane things (like any hair that's come in since the hormone changes dyes different color than the older hair, or everything goes fairly red, even if I'm just dyeing it brown), so for like the last 3+ years I've pretty much given up highlights & cool colors 'cause they get screwed up so much! You look great! As soon as I'm non-hormonal (or normal hormonal) I'll have to try something new!
Such an long interesting blog about hair. Just the other Grandma Snowball asked if my hair color was natural. I told her it was the natural color from about 10 years ago :-) Five more days. Hurry up!!
Gosh Shan you were so rebelous in high school, must have been that bad influnence from that weird girl from Diamond Bar! Hahah, I love all your hair colors (minus the uber blonde, your sisters are all much better blondes I must say!). But you have the best eyes to pull off the dark purpley color!
This weekend can't come soon enough!!!! It will have been the longest 10 months ever for me missing California!
I've always wanted to go dark or have auburn or deep violet highlights in my hair. I'm VERY particular about my hair and ALWAYS have them do it the same. I'm glad I can live vicariously through your awesome hair color's and styles. I LOVE the latest color. Very chic. I loved walking down memory lane with your too :-)
I really like your hair. I am a fan of the dark chocolate in your engagement pics and wedding pics too.
I remember going to the hair school with you when you got your purple/maroon colors. You were so excited and you looked hot. I've gotta say, you look really good with your hair a lot of different colors, so I can see why you change it so often. I pretty much look awful with anything but blonde and dark blonde. I didn't know you had blonde hair once. You looked totally different! I bet you didn't know I dyed my hair dark brown once (when we lived in Cedar City). It didn't look so good. Your hair looks great right now. I think I'm gonna go way blonde next time.
Oh yes, did you mean you're going to story time THIS Thursday?
I really enjoyed the hair hall of fame tour! I must say I also really love your choco brown engagement color. So rich! I also like the blond highlights when Weston is 7 months. I had highlights only once in my life. 10th grade. I loved them, but they were so expensive and I didn't like when my roots were coming back in... and so I never did it again. Not daring enough or just too much of a tightwad, I dunno. I remember when I was rooming with Jordan sophomore year at BYU how she changed her hair color monthly. It was a ritual of great importance. I admired her confidence to make such drastic changes and that compliment goes for you too!
I've always loved the look of dark hair with a hint of purple in it. But like you and blonde, I cannot pull dark hair off (it makes my skin look really yellow). Honey lime enchiladas sound amazing. Are you going to share the recipe?
Cute hair! And I loved seeing all the different colors/styles. You're lucky your hair always does what you want it to. Can I get the recipe for honey lime enchiladas? They sound divine and are making me hungry!
I love the new hair! It was fun looking at all your past "hair" pics! WOW...i never saw you as a platinum blonde! how funny!
I loved looking at your hair.... all the many shades of Shannon.... I ABSOLUTELY love the purple and am looking forward to changing my hair again, too (lucky for me I have a sister in Beauty school).
BTW Garrett has the same outfit as Westin's (from Sam's right?)
Yeay for cute hair! I love it so much by the way. Also, the picture of you guys as a family in front of a tree (I think you labeled it as Weston was either 7 months or a year) I loved that hair too. The dark with the subtle blonde highlights is so stylish. Thanks for putting up pictures from the party! I love it when we make it onto your blog. I feel famous or something. I am going to miss you so much when you go (tear)... Don't leave meeeee! Just kidding, we will do something extra fun when you come back though ;) Caio!
I totally admire your hair courage. I've had the same boring hair since I don't know when. I live out my hair fantasies through Melany, who, like you, has the adventurous spirit and skin coloring that looks good with almost any color.
oh gosh, I wish I was brave enough to do different things to my hair.. hey maybe I'll go dark again! oOo.. ideas are flowing! ha I think I'll mix up the blonde a little bit more before I do that! The boys are getting so big but they crack me up!
i love love love posts about hair. i used to change mine a lot until i had a few bad run-ins with the box dye...orange and green. your new do looks great!
so so cute!! and so jealous that you've done so many fun things with your hair...mine has done the same thing it's entire life...
Post a Comment