Today was a significantly better day than my last post. I woke up with major back pain from wrapping presents for over an hour last night, but after my shower it eased up. I decided to get started on personalizing our dollar store stockings today. I felt a little nervous about it. I am not particularly crafty. I went to Joanne's and bought felt and some decor. I was trying to do something similar to our stockings at home growing up.
It actually wasn't as tedious and difficult as I had imagined it would be to draw and cut out all the letters. I really had fun doing it. I was trying to decide what else I wanted to do to decorate the stockings. At home, years ago, my Grandpa Snowball, who was an incredibly talented artist, cut out all kinds of cute things to put on our stockings (snowmen, stacks of presents, Christmas lights, etc.). I knew I couldn't even attempt that, so I decided to go with holly. I had bought a few
pre-made things at Joanne's, but I did the holly myself. I am very happy with the end result. I think they look very festive and they remind me of home.
I hung them above the fireplace that we made last weekend. Ian and I were discussing where to hang stockings this year (we have never been home for Christmas day and therefore had never hung stockings before) and we decided that it would be fun to create our own little fireplace. Weston mostly just helped tearing paper to make the fire. I think it looks very cozy.


Later this afternoon Weston had a little meltdown when I threw away all the shreds of his latest drawing because they were making a huge mess. I told him he can't tear paper into that small of pieces. He was very sad. This is that exact minute.
Davin-happy as a clam because he had just woken up from a nap.

Weston-my almost 3 year old throwing a little tantrum. Doesn't he look fun? I get this look more often than I should. Ugh.

It was fun to make the stockings and I am very excited to do Christmas at our home and establish our own traditions. I hope that everything comes together and that it can be a memorable 1st official
Bowles Christmas. We have some other fun Christmas activities coming up, so stay tuned for Weston's first visit with Santa and the Christmas tree!
11 comments:
Annie has given me nothing BUT that look ALL day today. I feel for you!
You sure have cute kids . . . even when one of them looks really annoyed with you! :-)
Sooooo cute!!! The stockings are beautiful and turned out great...you crafty thing, you. I also totally envy your fun fireplace. I have seen other people do that too, but yours looks really cute. I think you're going to have a great Christmas at home and most importantly, Weston will love it!
I'm very impressed with your self-decorated stockings. And I love your fireplace. One Christmas one of my roommates and I made a Christmas tree out of butcher paper and taped it to the wall since we couldn't have a real tree.
So-cute! Good for you....that just reminds me that we don't have any stockings. Guess I should get on that. And your fireplace is very cozy. I love it.
Very cute stockings. Funny picture of Weston. I bet he was THRILLED that you pulled out the camera at that moment.
Oh yes. That picture of Weston was taken as he was saying, "I don't want to take a picture!" with lots of sass. :)
Way to go Shannon. I love that you posted a picture of Weston throwing a fit too. Love it! That face looks sadly familiar at our house too.
Your stockings are so cute :-) As is your fireplace. Where in your house is your fireplace. I'm guessing your living room? But where? I'm going to miss you this Christmas, but it's fun to see you establishing your own traditions. We just got home from the R.S. Board Christmas dinner party. It was really nice. We used ours (mine and Grandma Olson's) Christmas china, my crystal goblets and glasses, silverware, four nativity sets (for the centerpieces). It all looked pretty darn cute. We played this fun (I thought so, since it was my game) game where we made up Christmas limericks and then sang them. The one that got the biggest response won the prize. Cerise (mostly), Lynne and I made these darling strawberry pin cushions and wrapped them up extra cute. All in all it was a fun party. We had 25 people there too! That was a good and tiring start to the holiday season.
Ha I loe Westons face. I'm sure you don't but it's just kinda funny! I can't wait to see your house all decorated! I just did some of mine tonight! I'll have to take a picture and blog it! I'm so excited about going home. I haven't been home in so long! It's been like 10 months!... Sad day!
Bravo. I like your fireplace.
I was just thinking the same thing about Owen. We have more tantrums in this house than I would like.
I just want to tell him in a way he can understand that life is good - BE HAPPY!
Okay and Owen wants to type his name so here he goes...
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooownnnnnnnnnnnnnnennnnnnnnnnnnnn
That is AWESOME! I love the stockings and the fireplace your so creative :)
Post a Comment