
Exciting news: this little beauty came in the mail for me last week. Even though I had a fabulous time at my swim meet last month I was pretty sure I had come in at the bottom of my age group in my races. However, according to this fancy schmancy red ribbon, my 1:32.8 time in the 100 back earned me 2nd place among the women age 25-29 who competed in the race. Impressive, right? OK, maybe not, but I was pretty excited.
In other fun happenings at the Bowles household . . . we went and visited with Santa last week. Weston was very excited. We went nice and early to the mall and it was totally worth it. There was no one waiting, so we went right up and Weston got to stare at and sort of chat with Santa. The Santa was kind of creepy, to be honest. His beard was real, which was cool, but he had a badly made fake eye, so one eye was staring off in the opposite direction. Not his fault, of course, but still a little odd for Santa. Luckily I am married to a design genius who photoshopped the pictures for me. They look much more charming now.

Davin was not a huge fan of Santa. I apologize that I didn't get one of just him with Santa. He started crying as soon as I put him on Santa's lap with this look that said "Mom, who the heck is this crazy man with all the white hair and why do I have to sit with him?" He, of course, turned to check out all that white hair right when I took the picture. Oh well. Perhaps next year he will be more cooperative. Weston loved sitting with Santa and told him that he wanted the monster movie (Monsters Inc., check) and a Spiderman camera (real camera, check).

Santa gave Weston a little coloring book about "How I Can Give." It was semi cute and semi lame. He did color the whole thing though while we ate lunch at Carl's Jr. later that day. See's Candy was RIGHT behind Santa, so we detoured there. I got a half pound of chocolates for Ian and I to share while we decorated the Christmas tree and for Christmas Eve.
Here is Weston posing in front of the ginormous fireplace with his new book. Doesn't he look so excited? Christmas should be fun this year.

After playing at the mall for awhile longer and Weston getting kind of sad that he didn't get to see Santa again on our way out (there was a line by then) we headed out to lunch. Sometimes I totally regret going out to lunch with the kids. Carl's Jr. doesn't even have a playplace, but I really wanted a western bacon cheeseburger, so I prepped Weston for the fact that it didn't have a playplace and made him pinkie promise to eat his food. We had such a nice time. Davin was happy and babbling, Weston ate his food and colored his book and I got my fix too. It was a nice day. Check out all this almost 9 month old cuteness!

On Friday night the plan was to go pick out our Christmas tree. We decided to forgo the actual lot since it has gotten so expensive (about $10/foot) and went to Smith's Marketplace instead. We had to drive separately since Ian was bringing our neighbor's truck to transport our tree home. I left earlier with the boys to pick up milk and a birthday present for Weston's friend, Makenzie. It was kind of a madhouse. Finally we went and met up with Ian and picked the first tree we looked at, so I think we were all together for about 5 minutes.
Ian stayed and paid for the tree (and my copy of White Christmas) while I took the EXTREMELY tired boys home to get them to bed. I let Weston stay up until we got the tree up in the stand. It was kind of an ordeal because our tree had a really thick stem and didn't fit in our basic tree stand. Ian ended up running to Walmart at 10pm to get a new stand. The new one is lots better and the tree isn't going to fall over if Weston pushes it.
We ended up staying up until almost midnight to get it up and get lights on it. Ian is my hero and made a box for our tree to sit on. Yay. Saturday morning (after I slept in until 9, thanks hon!) we decorated the tree. Weston LOVED putting ornaments on it. He kept wanting to put them all in the same spot. It was funny. We had a nice time getting it put together. Here is the final product.

Apparently I was incapable of taking a clear picture earlier today, so here is a blurry one of the boys in front of the tree this morning, and yes, that is snow outside. It started snowing around 9:30am and is still going. We haven't had much snow this winter, so it's not depressing . . . yet.
16 comments:
Way to go you on getting 2nd place at the swim meet! And yes, that is an awesome accomplishment! And yea that you got to go see Santa. That is on the agenda for us this week or early next week. Actually, we saw him this weekend randomly at a Mall we didn't know we were going to go to, but I didn't have a camera with me, so we will go back with a camera. (Funny thing is we got the SAME coloring book at our Santa's place. It must be going out at all malls!) I love your tree and it just makes me very very happy. I just realized I have never posted pictures of our trees and decorations and they have been up since the day after Thanksgiving. Maybe I will have to take some fun pictures. We had the Snowball Christmas Party yesterday . . .it was very fun! We missed all of you that were there though. Love you!!
Oh so fun!! Is it weird that I seriously wanna get a picture with Santa? Hope not. Also your tree turned out WAY cute!! I am really hoping we get one sometime this week! Real or fake I dont care. I just want a Christmas tree! haha Weston does look VERY excited for christmas! This will be a fun fun year for him!
I am in awe of your swimming ability.
Nice work.
As my word verification would say, I have a new "reessept" for you. :)
I am also in awe of your swimming ability. I'm so glad you are back in business this week. And this blog has inspired me to get some Sees chocolates. Yummmmm.
COngrats on second place.
That is funny that Weston tried putting them all on the same branch. Owen did too this year and last year. I have also had other people say that their toddler/preschooler tried doing the same thing. I wonder if it is a developmental thing that is pretty normal for this age. I have no idea.
Sounds like your Santa was pretty interesting. Did you get to take a picture with your own camera or did you have to pay for the ones they provide?
Davin is so adorable. I can't believe he is almost 9 months!
That was the same Santa who told Annie that the Elves like to make him pretend dinners up at the North Pole with their play kitchens. He was pretty cool.
I haven't even attempted Ellie on Santa's lap yet. In her six-month-old-only-Mommy-will-do mode, I hope it turns out even half as good as Davin's! No tears, that's half the battle!
nice work on the swim meet! i think weston's age is probably the best age to watch how cute a kid can be at christmas. thats so nice he was actually happy to sit on santa's lap! davin is looking adorable too and so grown up!
Okay, I totally thought I had already commented on this post and I was coming back to add something else, but I never commented inthe first place. Doh! So, here goes:
You ROCK Sista'!!! Way to go at your swim meet. I was just super impressed at your committment to swimming again, but congrats on 2nd place. :)
That Santa is creepy looking even WITH the photoshop job. Thank goodness he didn't scare Weston. (As long as they don't look like Grandpa Bob, then Lizzie isn't scared. LOL) But Weston is cute in his picture. Davin looks good too b/c he's checking Santa out. You might have to frame the picture of Weston in front of the fireplace, that kid is too cute for his own good.
Your tree looks beautiful too. I was kind of anal about the ornaments. I showed Mimi which branch to put it on and gave Lizzie a general area. I was a lot more nervous with Mimi though b/c our tree is on our tile and I didn't want to clean up broken ornaments. Oh yeah, I am also very envious that your tree is in front of your window. Take a picture from outside at night time because I"m sure it is gorgeous.
I love you and will talk to you soon. :)
Great Job Shan! I can't wait till Payton can be excited for Christmas she is pretty animated in general but doesn't understand the excitement of a present. Next year! Yipee! I can't wait to see pictures of Weston Christmas morning.
Okay, I am very impressed at your 2nd place finish--that is a big deal--congratulations! So Kaden got the same book as Weston from Santa this morning when he got his picture taken at the mall. How funny is that?! And that's nice that they let you take your own pictures. We had to pay and get the picture they took.
Great Tree! And the picture of Davin in the highchair is too cute! Big congrats to Weston for not being afraid of Santa. Claire still plans on delivering her list from a safe distance away from Santa.
Wow that's so cool you got a ribbon!! I love that Weston loves Santa and that his eyes get so big. And way to get him to pinky promise that's really funny!! haha I can't wait to see you in about a week!!
Congrats on your ribbon! It's great you've started swimming again.
I love this season for the spirit of Christmas reminding us about Christ and all he's done for us. It's great Santa is doing that job despite his deformity/handicap. Kudos to him and for our society being willing to hand out a coloring book with a good message.
The boys are as cute as ever!
sorry I deleted my first comment, my computer made it show up funny.
love ya!
how cute!!!!
Hey Shannon!
I noticed you posted a comment on my sister Jennifer's blog! It has been so long since i've seen you. Your family is SO lovely. I'm glad to see you are doing so well!
Post a Comment