Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Just Because . . .

Just because Davin gets cuter and cuter every day. He makes the cutest, funniest faces. This is mid-talking I'm sure. It's good you can see this face because the video is a little dark and you can't quite see how funny his expressions are. I love this kid and can't wait to see what kind of person he becomes.
See look! He does have words. Ok, two. I still think he's smart. Also he is playing with the little battery powered massager here.

Just because I got zucchini in my produce box I decided to make this amazing Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cake. My friend, Alison, made it for our youth fireside a couple weeks ago and it was yum. Mine turned out good too, but next time I will under-bake it just a little. If you have a garden with excess zucchini you must make this yummy dessert!
Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cake
1/2 c. butter or margarine
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1 3/4 c. white sugar
2 eggs
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1/2 t. cinnamon (i did a pinch more than that because I like it more cinnamony)
1 t. vanilla
1/2 c. sour milk (just use regular milk with a splash of vinegar)
2 1/2 c. flour
3 c. grated zucchini

Mix all the ingredients in the listed order. Pour batter into a greased 9x13 pan. Liberally sprinkle brown sugar over the top. Next sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts on top (if you want. Also, you can use whatever nuts you have. I finished off a little bag of chopped pecans I had, but Alison made it with walnuts). Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
***I baked the full 45 minutes and it was all done, but more brown than I wanted, so maybe check it at 40 minutes and go from there.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow wow wow. That kid is too cute for his own good! *sigh* I miss him, (& weston of course) What are your travel plans for the holiday season? I know you guys were all over the place this summer so we weren't sure if you'd even be venturing out this way...

The Curnow Family said...

WOW, WOW, WOW, that looks so Yummy!! I love Davin, he always makes some kind of "O" face! Super cute!

Kate said...

Mmmmm- that looks so good! Thanks for the recipe! I love trying new things :)

Jordan McCollum said...

Rebecca makes that same face! I love it!

And hello? Best use of zucchini ever!

Tasha said...

Davin really is so cute!!! And that zuccini cake looks really good. I think I want to try. I cannot wait for next year to have a big garden. I really really want one!

Jared and Delia said...

YUM! If I get enough gusto to dig out my zucchini I will most certainly try that. Where was this recipe last month? AH! I was swimming in the zukes then. :)

Davin is a SO cute. He does get cuter every day if that is even possible!

Mom said...

Yes, he may have only two words, but "wow" can he say them well. Maybe he just wants to perfect each word before he goes on to the next one.

Only you can take healthy zucchini and make it into a decadent chocolate chip cake.. . . which looks wonderful, by the way. Makes me want a garden just for an abundance of zucchini to make that cake! Yum!! Thanks for the wonderful video of Davin!!

Emilee said...

We just got back from picking vegetables out of our neighbor's garden, so we'll have to try that recipe.

Tara said...

I just love that little Davin. Seriously, you guys have some above-average cute kids:) I know I tell you that all the time.

THANK YOU for that recipe, now I know what to make w/ those 3 honkin zucchinis on my counter!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure which looks yummier, Davin with his adorable face and fun words or the zucchini cake ;)

Hilary said...

The cake looks awesome! I've been wanting to make a chocolate zucchini cake but have surprisingly come in no contact with free zucchini this year yet!
His "Wow" is surprisingly clear! Ellie's saying a few words now, but it's totally a 'you have to know her and spend a lot of time around her' to get 'em! :-)

Shan said...

That cake looks amazing! I must try it!

Liz Smith said...

shannon, anytime you want to cook for me, i'll let you. :)

loved the pictures...he's so cute!!!!

Unknown said...

LOVE that face! so hilarious!

Jared and Delia said...

FYI...
I changed my blog address to:

http://establisheddec2002.blogspot.com/

Why? Long story...don't ask. :)