So you all know that I have been reading a lot lately. Here's a little cautionary tale about my latest read. . .My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult.
Once upon a time I saw a movie. The movie was based on a book. I hadn't read the book. I enjoyed the movie, even though it was sad. I decided I should read the book because most of the time the book is better than the movie. I put the book on hold and waited 2 months for it to be my turn to read it. I read. I really liked all the extra details the book gave that weren't in the movie. There was also a fun romance sub-plot in the book that I'm sure the movie just didn't have time for. Last night I finished the book. The last 40 pages contained a completely different ending than the movie portrayed. I mean, completely different! I am pretty bummed out about it.
Lesson learned: Movies BASED on books are truly just that. Based on. Not identical, not even necessarily close! Just the idea of the plot and the character names are generally the same.
I was sorely disappointed in the book, mostly because it's ending was even sadder and more frustrating than the movie! Next on my table to read was The Kite Runner, but I think I am going to opt for lighter fare (considering my somewhat fragile mental state. BTW I am feeling a little better). I finally got The Actor and The Housewife by Shannon Hale from the library today! Can't wait to escape into it. Probably will have to wait until tonight after FHE though.
How To Develop Value-Based Spending Habits
3 years ago
12 comments:
hahaha...yeah, the kiterunner is definitely an intense read that you dont want to be in a weak emotional state for. :P ive been wanting to read my sister's keeper. kinda stinks that it wasnt very good. i was waiting to see the movie because i wanted to read the book...
im glad youre doing better. i am determined to make this week awesome! so far so good! :)
Thats funny. I just finished actor and the housewife (really liked it) and I just got my sister keeper I was on hold for 2 months too. I heard the ending was different, the only problem every time I start reading I kinda can't get into it. But I'm also reading the time travelers wife. So hopefully that will keep me more interested. Have you read Uglies. Its a series Uglies, Pretties, Specials, etc. They are a fun easy read.
I heard the ending was different too. I'm sorry that you didn't like it though. :( Hopefully Shannon Hale will be a good fun read!!! Still loving my Mary Russell series. (I think I"m on #6). Hee, hee!
I had the opposite experience with My Sister's Keeper. I read the book first and LOVED it... I didn't see that ending coming AT ALL. Then I saw the movie with my mom. She HATED the movie because it was so different from the book and she sat in the theater in shock that they changed it so much. I liked the movie alright because the new ending there was cool for me. So I think it's interesting that you were disappointed in the book after having seen the movie.
yeah, definitely don't read Kite Runner unless you want to be emotionally traumatized for a few weeks while you are digesting it. Good book, but not so much "light" read. You'll have to let us all know how Shannon Hale's book turns out.
green beans. This was my first year to do them, so I'm certainly NO EXPERT! I froze about 20 lbs of green beans. Blanch them first. That just means you boil them briefly. Look up how to do it online. Then freeze them on a cookie sheet so they don't stick together. Transfer the frozen beans to a ziploc bag and pull them out as needed. pretty easy, as far as preserving goes. Let me know how yours turn out.
You can usually count on the book being sadder than the movie--they lighten things up for movie audiences. My latest escape lit has been the Thursday Next novels.
I didn't read your whole post because I haven't seen the movie. But Jodi Picoult is my absolute favorite author. My world stands still until I finish her books cover to cover. I like the stories alright, but I love how she writes. Give her another chance. Try Plain Truth.
Thanks for the heads up on this book. I CANNOT believe that I didn't know Shannon Hale has another book out. LUCKY you! Enjoy that one. I hope you feel a bit better.
THanks for keeping it real and sharing your feelings on your blog so we can support you and pray for you.
Yeah, the book is super sad. I actually kinda liked the irony of what happened at the end though, it blew my mind a little bit. The movie was good and sad too. I think because I read the book like a year ago I had some space from it and was able to enjoy th emovie more than if I had just read the book. And, by the way, you are inspring with how much you read- way to go! I want to read more, but I'd rather watch So You Think You Can Dance :)
I just put this one on hold at my library...but if I don't like it, I can't say you didn't warn me. Have you read Hunger Games yet? That's a fun, quick read if you want something to mix it up.
I didn't know Shannon Hale had another book out? I need to go see if I can get it from my library. Too bad my list is WAY too long to be getting another book. I still have 3 out from the library and am borrowing 2 from my mom and I am on restriction from books until after Thursday night when I am hosting Pictionary and my list is a MILE long of what I have to accomplish before Thursday night (note that I am on blogging right now. I am so introuble!!) Love you Shannon. Hope this next book is much better. I can only assume it will be considering it is from Shannon Hale. Let me know how you like it. I love her books and love that they are usually fun good reads.
I didn't know Shannon Hale has another book out either. I'm gonna have to check that out. I never like seeing a movie right after I've read the book. I'm always WAY disappointed. Too bad the movie was not much like the book. And I agree, wait to read The Kite Runner. I loved it but it is more on the depressing side than light side. :)
Post a Comment