I have been wanting to replace our camera for about a year now. I was planning on leaving the choice of our next camera up to Ian, but alas. He has little time for researching cameras at the moment and I decided it was time. We had to choose. It's so hard to choose a camera. You read reviews. You check prices. You change your mind. Anyway, this week I bought a new camera. First I bought the Olympus X-42. It was 12mp and 5x optical zoom (which were the criteria Ian was looking at). Even better it was on sale at Office Max for $69.99! What a steal, right?
So I went and snatched that thing up (along with it's fitting memory card). I opened it in the car and took it with us into Davin's first dentist appointment. I missed the shot of him crying while getting his teeth cleaned, but managed a couple pictures of him playing and watching a movie. I tested out the video feature. Later that night I went to plug the memory card into the card reader, but it didn't fit! Lame. I connected the camera to the computer via the cable. It was such a disappointment. Only a very few of the photos were clear. The color was kind of washed out. And the video was tiny. I knew I was going to have to start over.
After spending some time researching after the kids went to bed, I decided I liked the Canon Powershot A1100 IS the best for the price. I headed out Wednesday morning to make the switch. The Canon was also on sale, but was $129.99. The perks of the Canon are that it takes AA batteries, so one less charger, it has much better video than the Olympus, it's memory card fits in my card reader, and it's controls are not flimsy feeling. So far I'm happy with it.
What was the catalyst to wanting a new camera NOW? Well, we have an upcoming trip to California next week and I really wanted to have a camera that works and isn't a 4x4 inch cube that can only take 5 pictures before the battery needs charging. I do still want to get a case for the new camera so I don't scratch it's beautiful screen, but other than that we are good to go.So without further ado . . . here are the pictures from the new camera(s)!
At the dentist. Taken with the Olympus.
7 comments:
$129 isn't bad at all, I've read good things about those little canons. The pics look really good and the video is classic!
Yea for a new camera!! THat is a happy thought. Are you doing Disneyland while you are here this time? I cannot remember. We are going to be there on Tuesday and Thursday, so if you are then maybe we will see each other. :) Either way, YEAH for your California trip!!!!
hahaha my favorite park of the video is how by the 3rd go around davin is just making sure weston doesnt run into him! haha I CANNOT wait until you guys are here! I am SOO excited!!!
Phew...when you first starting talking about the Olympus I immediately thought...bad choice. When you mentioned how bad the quality was my initial judgments were confirmed and I felt even worse for you, but then then you said you got the Canon Powershot! Good choice. They are one of the best point and shoot cameras. LIke I need to tell you that. It doesn't help that I am somewhat Canon biased. :)
you know, our first digital camera was an olympus and it served its purpose, but towards the end i hated the thing. our pictures were always blurry. we have a canon powershot now as well and i LOVE LOVE LOVE it. although im the opposite in which i needed a battery i could charge since double aa's have to be replaced so often. but really, it takes great pictures. almost as good as my DSLR. and good call on getting a case, mine has taken a beating...not to mention i've dropped it twice. but hey, it still works! those things are built very well. I am definitely a Canon Fan. :)
LOL!!!! I can't wait to play with those silly boys next week. :) So funny. I'm glad you got a good camera. Ours is a Canon and I'm still pretty happy with it, but wouldn't mind an upgrade. ;) Good luck getting ready for your trip this week.
Yeah for a new camera!! Good job on doing the research. I hate that part of buying but it totally pays in the end! I can't believe how big your boys are getting. I love that Davin copies Westin!!! Way cute!
Post a Comment