Monday, May 24, 2010

A Busy Weekend

This last weekend was super busy. Productive, but exhausting. Let's start with Friday. I decided we needed an outside outing. The weather wasn't super warm, but it wasn't freezing, so we went to Wheeler Farm to check out the animals. It was packed. I have never seen it so crowded. There were several school groups there in addition to the normal mom crews. It also got really windy, so we didn't stay too long, but Davin was in heaven with all the ducks running around.
Weston's favorite was still the tractors.
My favorite was having a quick camera to take some pictures. :) We met Ian for lunch after we had visited all the animals, battled the crowded (gross) bathrooms, and stepped in lots of duck poop.

This is from Thursday night I think. Davin was my little waffle making helper. He was so excited that he got to wear the kid apron and help stir.
Friday night I went down to Provo for my long lost friend Lindsey's bridal shower. We were Spanish speaking buddies freshman year at BYU, but then lost contact for several years. We have reconnected lately on our blogs and Facebook. Anyway, it was super fun to visit with her after not seeing her for 7 or 8 years. After her shower I dropped in to visit with another college friend, Lisa. We visited until late. Then I had to drive home in a crazy storm. Strong wind, strong rain, lots of standing water. Let's just say I hydroplaned 4 or 5 times and it was scary. I didn't get home until late. Ian had started ripping out the walls in the den when I got home, but there was no way he was going to be able to finish that night, so we pretty much called it a night and got ourselves to bed.

BEFORE
Saturday was construction day! Luckily we had some friends come to help. There is no way we would have gotten as far as we did without them. Thanks Wilson's, Bayles', and Campos'! The Campos' watched the boys all morning while we were working. It was so nice not having to worry about them.

DEMOLITION
I thought the room looked tiny without walls or furniture. Doesn't make sense, but it did. After we got all the drywall and insulation down we put up heavy duty plastic sheeting along the walls we were insulating to keep the insulation clean and to help seal off the multiple cracks and little holes in the outside walls. Next we put up the insulation.

INSULATION
Finally we did drywall. By the time Ian got back from his 3rd trip to the store with the drywall it was getting late in the afternoon. The guys only had time to get a couple of sheets of drywall up.

DRYWALL
We didn't get quite as far as we were hoping, but it was a productive day and it's coming along. We are on budget so far too, so that's good! By Saturday night Ian and I were both so tired. I slept better than I have in weeks.

Last night we went to Ian's boss, Steve's, house to watch the finale of LOST. It was fun to watch it with Steve and Erin (Steve's wife) and Zack (another co-worker). We put Davin to bed around 9:30, but just tucked Weston in on the couch with Charlotte's Web thinking that he would for sure conk out. Nope. He stayed awake the whole time until we got in the car around 11:45pm. Needless to say everyone is napping right now.

Today was Weston's end of the year class party. It was supposed to be a water party outside, but alas, we woke up to snow this morning, so they just played inside, watched a movie, and had ice cream. I think he still had fun, but I'm looking forward to the whole preschool end of year picnic on Wednesday when the weather is supposed to be a pleasant 75 degrees.

15 comments:

Delia said...

Isn't that crazy?! We just got rain but I heard you got snow this morning! Nutty.

It looks like you made a lot of headway on your basement!

joyous said...

Wow! Mel got snow last week too. Looks like you guys made a lot of progress on the den. It does look smaller with no furniture, funny! But it sounds like you had some time for fun too, so that's a good weekend! Love you tons!

Jackie H said...

Can't wait to see the finished product. If you're doing any tiling we're the people to call. But I doubt you're adding a bathroom :)

I was thinking that you guys should come up. Frontrunner ends right by our house. You could ride it up and I could leave my kids with a neighbor and pick you up and the boys could use our car seats. Of course, we couldn't go anywhere after that, but it's always good to ride the train...

The Curnow Family said...

I think it's funny you got snow because that was suppose to land in Rexburg too!! We got lots of rain! It's looking good in that den, Brad might cry when he comes for a visit but it's best for you! ha

Liz Smith said...

it must have felt so good to see that wood paneling come down. i can't wait to see what it looks like when it's finished.

i LOVE your little davin. I know i say that all the time, but i do. he's sooooo cute!!!!!

and boo to more snow. here it's 95 today and HUMID! i am anxiously awaiting for our pool to open this weekend. I will be sending lots of warm vibes your way. happy summer!

Alexis said...

Your project looks good so far!

I think I remember Lindsey... This sounds really self-centered, but was she the one that you guys thought looked like me?

Denny said...

wow looks great. It will be so nice when it's done! Snow! Its cold here too but no snow. Just a whole lot of rain!

Lindsey said...

Shannon! You are such a busy girl! I'm so glad you could fit me in to your wild life. Seriously, that meant so much to me! Amazing to see you after SO LONG!! Much love!

lisa said...

lol! Yes, Lex--she was the one.

Thanks for stopping by to see me, Shan! It was such a blast. And your room is looking so good!! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Just caught up on your blog...yippee for baby #3!! Sounds like you had a rough start, hope the rest of the pregnancy goes smoothly!

Great job on the den so far! And I'll send some sunshine up your way ;)

Kate said...

How exciting to do a home improvement project! Looking good so far!
(That photo of Davin stirring is super cute)

Tara said...

I'm so sorry we couldn't come over on Saturday! But it looks like you guys got a LOT accomplished, holy moly! I think it's awesome you went all out and added more insulation. We have never been that daring. We ended up getting a lot done, too- I just finished painting baby's room today. Now we (by we I mean Justin) just need to install new baseboards and we'll be done. It's so much work remodeling, but so worth it. I can't wait to see your den when it's done.
That's cool you went to Lindsey's bridal shower, I'm sure that meant a lot to her!

Glen & Kat said...

I can't believe it's still snowing up there and it's 90 here! I'm impressed with you tackling your den yourselves and I can't wait to see the finished product.

Whitney and Blake said...

Sounds like you had an exciting weekend!!

Blake and I love Lost. We are a few seasons behind though! ha How was the finale? Did it answer all the questions? I can't wait until we get all the episodes watched!

J, J and B said...

Davin IS getting so big. What a cutie. And thank goodness for good friends huh? It's going to look great when it's done! Lucky you have such a handy husband!! Seems as if you've been busy lately! :)