Saturday, June 19, 2010

Summer Reading

I have decided that Weston is big enough to start reading chapter books with me. We started with our freebie book from the Borders Summer Reading program, Flat Stanley. At first glance Weston said he didn't want that book because it didn't have pictures, but once I explained that's how big boy books are he thought it was cool. We started and finished it that same day. Since then we have gotten two other Flat Stanley adventure books from the library and have finished them both.

Last week I ordered a bunch of Roald Dahl paperbacks for Weston and I to start reading. They were on clearance HERE for $1.77 each. When they came Weston was so excited. He put them in the order that he wanted to read them. We started Charlie and the Chocolate Factory first. We have read at least a chapter or two before nap and bed every day since. It is so fun! I love reading a more epic tale. Weston really seems to enjoy the books and remembers what has been happening. Next up on our Roald Dahl reading list is James and the Giant Peach. Then The BFG, and finally The Witches. I might have to save that one for a few years though. I recall it being a little scary.

As for myself . . . I have been reading Suzanne Collins' Underland Chronicles. They are fun, quick, imaginative reads. I think I only have one left after I finish the current one I'm reading. It always makes me laugh that the adult summer reading program through our city only requires you to read 4 books the whole summer. I'm pretty much done with the entire program already. :) I need something to read when I finish the Underland books, so . . .
What are you reading this summer?

11 comments:

Sarah said...

I just finished The Hunger Games & Catching Fire, also by Suzanne Collin's for our Squadron's book club this month. Well just the first book was for book club but I had to read the second and can't wait for the third to come out in August. I've heard the Underland books are good to, you think I should pick them up? The Hunger Games is so like Orson Wells/ Fahrenheit 451 gone teenager love story, but oh so very very good!

Olson Family said...

I am actually open for book ideas! I am going to check out that twenties girl book you were telling me about! I am going to try and enjoy my free time this summer since I know I will have a LOT less time in the fall! I am glad weston is enjoying those books!

Delia said...

That is so awesome. We started with chapter books last year but then I noticed that a lot of them used older kid words like "stupid," "idiot," etc. We don't use those words or at least won't until he can understand how to use it appropriately and differentiate between good-ish ways and bad ways to use it - well you know what I mean. I couldn't find books that were appropriate for his age so that venture fell by the wayside. I will have to try those books you have recommended.

Right now I am reading the Once Upon a Time series. A group of YA authors have rewritten/expanded upon all the classic fairy tales. Cameron Dokey has written about half of them but there are a few others as well. If you get one of Dokey's books she refers you to the others. I LOVE these books. Most of them (Dokey's are the best) have a wonderful message about what love is REALLY about and they are clean clean clean. I have already read four in the series, the remaking of Snow White, Rapunzel, The Little Mermaid, and Cinderella.

Shan said...

I love The Hunger Games! If you haven't read them, I'd really recommend them too! I'm currently reading a book my parents bought for me called East of the Mountains. It's by a local author, which I enjoy. I'll let you know how I like it. If I think of any other good reads, I'll let you know!

P.S. I think it's great that Weston loves chapter books. Those are some of my best memories growing up--meaning my parents reading chapter books to me before bedtime.

Anonymous said...

Books are my favorite thing EVER! I know what you mean about enjoying "big kid" books with Weston. K & B are at such fun stages now too, reading chapter books that entertain me as well. If you're looking for good boy books for Weston, let me know. Brayden only likes to read if a character is smelly, puking, or showing their underwear. Boys.

Since you like Gregor the Overlander, you might also enjoy "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" series by Rick Riordan. Or the "Ranger's Apprentice" series by John Flanagan (the first book is "The Ruins of Gorlan"). Happy reading!

Kate said...

I am now reading "Goose Girl" on your and Miranda's recommendations and really enjoying it :) Sorry I've got no new ideas for you. I love that you're reading to your boys. Those really do make some of the best childhood memories along with creating a love of stories/reading.

Lindsey said...

Every summer I read Ray Bradbury's, "Dandelion Wine." It is my all-time favorite book and SUCH a lovely summer read!

Kyle and Jillian said...

I can't wait for when Becca is old enough for chapter books. I don't think I have any new books for you to read, unless you haven't read all of the Louisa May Alcott books before. "Old Fashioned Girl" is my favorite, closely followed by all of the others ("Jack and Jill", "Eight Cousins," etc.)

I did want to throw out that I don't think "Witches" is a very scary book, aside from the fact that it deals with witches. It is actually very funny and clever. I think the movie is much scarier and would not recommend watching it with Weston for a few years. Of course, you know best. Enjoy!

elizabeth said...

I remember reading The Secret Garden to you and Joy at the house in Lakewood, so you must have been in kinder and second grade or younger. Trying to read with the Yorkshire accent was my favorite!! I'm so excited to read. Today was the official first day of summer and I had a dentist appt. (no cavities!) and since I was in the neighborhood, I called Julie Johnson and we had lunch. . . . then I went to Ann Taylor loft and used my gift card and bought some summer clothes. All in all a very good day :-) I guess I'll have to start reading a book tomorrow ;-)

joyous said...

Okay, your friend Delia mentioned Cameron Dokey. I have been totally hooked on her books!!! They are beautiful and I just love them. I am checking out all kinds of fairy tale-retellings right now. I'm in a very romantic reading mood. So fun!

J, J and B said...

Roald Dahl is SO great for kids. I still love to read his books again now! That's great Wes loves to read so much too! Good work mom!