Tuesday, February 21, 2012

President's Day Weekend

We had an extra long President's Day weekend because Weston was off of school on Friday too. It was pretty fun to have him home and relax. It was a bummer because Ian is swamped at work this month and had to work every day except Sunday. It would have been more fun if we had been able to spend some time all together, but we made do. Friday we went on a haircut outing. Nothing too exciting, but it was really really fun. The boys were just so well behaved the whole time. They were great for their haircuts, they agreed with me on where to go for lunch, they didn't fuss when it was time to leave the playplace, the played nicely together. I couldn't have asked for better kids.
Before
AfterWe frequent Sport Clips for the boys' cuts and a new one just opened near us and sent us a free haircut coupon, so we headed over there to get the boys' hair cleaned up. They actually both do really well with haircuts and kind of like them. I think the main motivation for liking them is that I let them spike their hair for the first few weeks after a cut then when it grows out a little we comb it down. It had been awhile since they had spikes so it was pretty exciting. Weston even got his hair shampooed for the first time! I think he enjoyed the head massage. He said that next time he wanted to get his hair cut with Dad so they could both get shampooed together. You know, boy spa day. :)
After Sport Clips we went to Carl's Jr. for lunch. I hadn't been there in a long time and it was yummy. The boys sat at their own little two top table and ate and chatted while I fed Talia endless bits of french fry and sips of fruit punch at the girls' table. She was pretty happy despite it being very close to nap time. The boys played in the playplace and even Talia got to wander around the outside and bang on the plastic. Definitely a fun outing with my kiddos.
After our outing we spent the afternoon chillaxing at home. Talia napped, the boys watched Megamind tucked in on the couch while I napped and pretended to watch it with them. So sneaky. We managed to get the house cleaned up and vacuumed later in the afternoon too. I decided Ian and I really needed a date night and I really needed to see some more Oscar movies before the show next Sunday. I found a babysitter and Ian and I grabbed some dinner at our favorite Mexican food Leatherby's before seeing The Artist.
I really loved the movie. It was such a fun experience watching a silent film in the theater like that. I kind of wished I was dressed up all fancy. It took the very 21st Century audience (including me) about 20 minutes to settle into being quiet, but after that it was very engrossing despite the lack of talking. I loved the story and the acting was truly wonderful. I hope it wins some Oscars because it is very deserving. If you are looking for a fun, clean movie to see on your next date night I highly recommend it.

Saturday was a quiet day. We went to the library in the morning while Ian worked, then when he came home he took Weston out for the afternoon to The Leonardo museum. Davin and Talia and I watched Cars 2 at home and then went out to dinner at McDonald's. That night after we all got home we went over to our ward's game night activity. It was a fun night with friends.
Weston made some chemical compound goo
Playing with the green screen exhibit
Trying to walk in prosthetic feet. This was one of his favorite exhibits.
Getting educated about the Civil Rights movement through a fabulous photography exhibit. This was another favorite.
After seeing The Artist on Friday I was hankering to watch Singin' in The Rain, so that was our Sunday afternoon movie. That Gene Kelly always makes me smile. Monday Ian worked all day again. I had thought about braving the dollar theater with the kids to see Puss in Boots (another Oscar movie), but decided against it since Talia is pretty much at the worst age to take to the movies. Instead we ran a couple errands, went out to lunch, and then the boys wanted to go to the dollar store to spend their Valentine's dollar from Grandma Denny and Papa. Weston picked out these gross teeth, Davin got a velvet poster you color with the tiny markers, and Talia got a pink heart mylar balloon. Success!
So we didn't have the most exciting weekend, but Weston was kind of sad to have to go back to school today so it must not have been too boring. I am mostly just wishing Ian could have been home more, but alas, we probably won't be seeing more of him until March. In the meantime we will be weathering the cold with lots of movies, Wii, and Candy Land.

5 comments:

Glen & Kat said...

I can commiserate with the hubby working a ton--no fun. But it sounds like you are doing a great job at being super-mom!

Pamela said...

Why do boys have to pick the things that gross their moms out?! Cool haircuts. I think little boys with spikes are adorable. Of course, I have two boys who refuse to spike their hair. Even when I try to be sneaky and make Zander's stand up when I dry him after his bath he flattens it with his hands...stinker :)

Tara said...

Wow you guys did a lot of fun stuff! I'm glad I read this, it reminded me that my kids need a few more fun outings. :) Pretty awesome you got free haircuts! Their hair looks adorable. :)

Paige said...

what handsome boys! Such a fun and blessed mama.

joyous said...

Very fun weekend!!!