Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A Baby Story

We have a baby!  Here's the story.  Friday, September 21st was the big day.  I went in at 9am to be induced.  It was pretty relaxed.  We got checked in and settled then they started my GBS antibiotic and some low dose pitocin.  I started having regular contractions but they weren't super painful.  I was only dilated to a 3 and baby's head was still really high, so I spent a few hours with higher pitocin trying to get the baby's head to be lower so that Angela (my midwife) could break my water.  Finally in the afternoon I got an epidural.  It was the least painful epidural insertion I've had.  I wasn't in a ton of pain, but Angela suggested getting the epidural before she broke my water, which was a really good call. 
One last snuggle with Talia before leaving for the hospital
 
After the epidural the baby's head still wasn't low enough to break my water, so they upped my pitocin even more and that helped.  Angela broke my water around 3:30 and placed an internal electronic fetal heart monitor that we were testing out for the hospital as part of a research study.  I'm really glad that we decided to participate because having the more accurate heart data for baby was helpful as he didn't tolerate contractions well after my water broke.  His heart rate kept dipping with each contraction.  Probably because the cord was in a place that was being squished with each contraction. 

They found a position for me that seemed to help a little, so I was laying all the way back slightly tilted to the left with an oxygen mask.  Not the most comfortable, but it was ok.  My epidural wasn't blocking the pain as contractions got worse, so I decided to have the anesthesiologist re-dose me.  This helped with the pain, but made me very very numb.  I couldn't move at all.  Just when Angela was starting to get nervous that baby's heart rate wasn't improving (she was getting ready to call in the doctors she works with) I told her I was ready to push.  This was around 5:30. 

Luckily Angela had things all set up so I got to work.  I didn't have to push too long, but I did have to push pretty hard.  Our sweet baby was born at 5:42pm.  I immediately got to hold him and they took his vitals and Ian cut the cord while he was on my chest.  I loved having this immediate contact with him!  We decided to name our baby Beckett Lawrence.  He weighed in at 6lbs. 10oz. (our smallest baby!) and was 19.5 inches long.  He cried at birth for about 10 minutes, then after getting cleaned up was quiet as can be and wide awake.  We had some skin to skin time and he nursed for a good 40 minutes.  I've never had a newborn nurse like that!  Then he just looked around while we oogled him. 
 
 
 I don't know if it is because he is my last baby or what, but I was so much more emotional at his birth.  I don't usually cry, but I just couldn't help tearing up as I snuggled this sweet little boy and held my husband's hand.  It was really special.  What a great experience!
Beckett is still just the sweetest, mellowest baby.  Very much like Weston as a baby.  He is by far my best nurser.  He sleeps great and at his weight check yesterday was already up to 6lbs. 13oz.!  I am absolutely smitten with this new little man and am feeling very very blessed to be his mommy.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations, guys, Beckett is a handsome little boy! Love your description of how wide awake and quiet he was, like he was just observing and taking it all in. :)

Glad to hear he's mellow and a good nurser. That makes all the difference.

Good luck on your continued recovery!

Unknown said...

I'm tearing up with the beauty! So happy for you all!

Glen & Kat said...

I'm glad things went well. He is so adorable! Congratulations!

Melinda said...

YAY! I love the name.....and what a cutie! Congrats Bowles family.

Emilee said...

Congratulations! We love the name and can't wait to meet and snuggle another nephew.

Carly said...

Congrats!! I'm so happy for you guys! I can't believe how small your babies are! I wouldn't know how to hold them! Haha.

I hope you enjoy these first few weeks! They go so fast!

Becky Green said...

Oh my gosh! He's so cute!! :) And it was so fun to see you guys last night. Congratulations again! He's awesome and I'm so flattered you named him after me. :)

Liz Smith said...

congrats, bowles! he is perfect!

Shan said...

I am so glad I got to see you before the big day! I love the name you chose, and he is sooo sweet! Love you Shan!

Tara said...

I love the pictures from the hospital so much. You look so beautiful and you can just tell it was a sweet, special time for you guys! He is so adorable. I love his name. I wish so bad we could come up with a cool name like Beckett. :) Can you think up another one for me?? haha...
Love you and so happy for you! It's making me really excited to meet our baby!

Kate said...

You seriously have the most beautiful newborns! He is just darling. What a great little addition to your family. I read somewhere before I had Emma that nursing them in the first 15 mins of birth is key to have them be great nursers so I've tried to follow that rule and really think there's something to it.
There is absolutely nothing that compares in life to the birth of a baby :)

Denny said...

Can't wait to see and snuggle this little mellow guy

Dawnie said...

He is absolutely beautiful! What a sweet little perfect face! I wish I could see you guys so I could snuggle him. Shannon you look gorgeous and glowing. I love that you got teared up and had a beautiful first moment with him. There is nothing like seeing them for the first time. So special. Love you!

Lori said...

HE IS SO CUTE! That's how much Garrett weighed. And Garrett was a half inch longer so they were almost exactly the same size.