Monday, May 13, 2013

Mother's Day Weekend

Ian really outdid himself this year for Mother's Day.  I had a wonderful weekend!  Friday Ian came home with tulips for me.  They are beautiful!  I love tulips and I couldn't bear to cut any of the ones from the yard so I was really excited to have some inside too.  That night we went out on a really fun date to a Lyceum Orchestra with Peter Breinholt concert.  It was outside at the Thanksgiving Point garden.  Not only was the music wonderful and the weather great (we got sprinkled on a tiny bit at the very end), but it was also free with our membership.  Can't beat that!  
We really did have a lovely time. I must admit we played Settler's on Ian's phone during the orchestra's 40 minute performance of Dvorak's New World Symphony.  But it was beautiful.  And Peter Breinholt's songs were emotional and fun.  Loved it.  Love my husband.
Saturday morning I got to sleep in.  When I got up the house was quiet.  Ian and the kids went and got donuts for breakfast!  I showered in peace while they were gone.  We went to Davin's soccer game.  It was really muddy!  Talia was NOT a happy girl when she stepped in this mud hole and got wet and dirty.
That afternoon I went to a friend's baby shower and had a nice time visiting with some other ladies in my ward and eating the yummy shower food!  Later that afternoon Ian sent me off on a girls' night with my good friend, Alison.  Our husbands got us mani/pedis and then we enjoyed some Indian food for dinner.  It was really good to just talk with Alison and enjoy a little break from our kiddos.  Alison especially needed the break since she and her husband, Kerry, just adopted two little boys from Ethiopia last week!  Anyway, definitely a fun Mother's Day gift.

Sunday morning I got to sleep in a little bit and then Ian made me an omelette for breakfast.  I loved coming downstairs to see my three handsome boys snuggled up happily on the couch watching TV. I am so lucky to have such sweet, good, adorable kids.  Being their mom is a privilege.
After breakfast, Weston gave me his gift.  It was a cute poem which he read to me out loud complete with props.  :)  Love that boy!  Davin made me a card at preschool but he couldn't wait until Sunday so I got it on Friday.  Ian gave me a card, a silver heart necklace and a beautiful mommy ring!  I absolutely love it.  It's simple and just my style.  It has each of the kids' birthstones set in the middle.  I love it and am glad that he got me something I can wear every day with any outfit.
We got to talk to our moms and I went to church with the boys.  Talia fell asleep right before church and took a much needed nap until it was almost over.  Ian grilled burgers and hot dogs for us for dinner.  It was wonderful.  We spent the afternoon/evening relaxing on the front porch.

Honestly I didn't need the gifts or cards.  I would have been happy with the thought and effort I could tell he had put into the weekend.  The gifts certainly didn't hurt, but I was just so grateful to be shown so much love and appreciation by my family and especially my husband.  He took care of the kids and the house as much as he could and was so open about his appreciation for me.  It is so validating and uplifting to know that I, and the things I do for our family, are valued.  He is the best and I am a lucky girl.

1 comment:

joyous said...

So sweet! I'm glad you had a great weekend. Your nails look great and your ring is perfect! A great gift. :) Love you so much and thanks for the sweet card too!