Monday, May 12, 2014

Proud Mama

Can I just say how much I love my Davin boy? He is such a cutie. He has his own sense of self. He knows what he likes and what he doesn't and he's not embarrassed to do his own thing. He is smart and creative. He is kind and sensitive. I love him to pieces. Plus he has the best eyebrows ever. 
I loved that he was sitting watching a show like this. 
This year Davin has done awesome in Kindergarten. I get frustrated with him sometimes because he is not a self starter. I have to be right there guiding him to the next task during homework time. It's definitely different than doing homework with Weston (or should I say NOT doing homework with Weston since I rarely help him or supervise him).
For his end of the year project in Kindergarten Davin was assigned a research report on an animal. It was supposed to be an animal found in Utah that you are familiar with. He really wanted to do an eagle, but since he had never seen one and he didn't know if they lived in Utah we kept thinking. He listened to an aquarium employee talk about the desert tortoise in the Utah exhibit when we went to the aquarium a few weeks ago. He thought it was pretty interesting and picked the tortoise as his animal.

We went online and found some information about them. Davin loved this part. He had a paper he had to fill out with complete sentence answers to certain topics like "What does your animal look like?" or "What does your animal eat?" He also got to put two interesting facts of his choosing. He thought it was awesome that tortoises' shells are attached to their bodies. He also was impressed that they would dig shallow water holes and be able to find them again after hibernating for months.

The next part of his project was creating a diorama of his animal's habitat. We had fun putting it together. He loved painting the box blue and gathering sand and grass for the ground. I helped with the cacti and bushes. He did most of it though. I am so proud of him for working so hard on it. He also was very good at telling his class (and parents that came to see the projects) all the facts he had learned. It was so fun to watch him interact with the kids in his class and with parents. I'm so proud of the hard work he put in.
About a month ago Davin had a big spelling test at school. There are 25 words that Kindergartners are supposed to be able to read and spell by the end of the year. He had five spelling tests leading up to the big one. He did a pretty good job, but kept missing one or two on each test because he didn't write neatly so his teacher couldn't tell that he spelled the word right. We practiced all the words again and I reminded him to write very clearly and neatly. He brought home his big spelling test with 24/25 correct. The one his missed was "do" which he spelled "bo." He totally knew it but he still mixes us his lowercase b and d. I am so proud of him though because I can tell that he did his best with writing neatly and remembering how to spell everything.
Davin is also doing great at gymnastics! He is still kind of afraid of heights and hasn't passed off any of the high bar skills. He loves tumbling though and stretching. He is so proud of being strong and being able to do certain things like plank and bridge. He is small for his age so gymnastics is perfect for him. I did have to laugh when I came in to pick him up last week and he was lined up with his class next to this super tall kid. Love my tiny Dav!
Lastly a little video. This is my life with little boys. I'm so glad that Weston and Davin get along so well. This was while I was sitting at the table with them while Tal and Beck were napping. It cracks me up for so many reasons. The farting noises. The Nutella all over Davin's face. The fact that they had no idea I was taking a video. Enjoy!

1 comment:

elizabeth said...

Love this boy! The video is so great! I'm giving my director's award to a little boy who can sometimes be a pill, but he's a leader and volunteers to sing parts and befriend kids. I have to keep reminding myself that he's still a 9/10 year old boy and acts age appropriate.

The desert tortoise diorama is so darling as is the spelling test. I think he did a great job!! He is such a great little man!!