Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Tulip Festival!

Every year Thanksgiving Point Gardens has the Tulip Festival. It only lasts a couple weeks in the spring. I have always wanted to go since I love tulips, but have never made it. I always seem to miss it. Also, it's pricey. Well, this year we have our membership to Thanksgiving Point and I was for sure going to the Tulip Festival.

There are lots of things I love about our Thanksgiving Point membership, but one of my favorite things is that all guests I bring get 50% off admission too, so it's easier to find friends who want to go on outings with me. On Monday we met up with my cousin, Nicole, and her cute kids to check out the Tulip Festival. It totally lived up to my expectations. Here is Weston at the entrance when we first got there. It was a sunny, but windy day, so we wore our jackets most of the time. Poor Dav spent most of the time in the stroller.
When we first got on the trail there was this giant hill. The kids started rolling down and when we left there were about 8 other kids doing the same thing. Oops. There's Sydney, Caden, and Weston. Let's be honest, Weston wasn't daring enough to actually roll down the hill. He just ran down it.
The kids ran ahead of us on the path while Nicole and I chatted. It was so beautiful. Weston kept stopping and asking me to take his picture with different flowers. He is so weird. Of course, my camera battery died after the rolling down the hill pictures, so these are all from my phone. I had to include them all because he is making different Weston faces in every single one.
Even Sydney got in on the action. They were pretty cute together, holding hands and sharing fishy crackers.



We stayed for a couple hours. We probably would have left sooner, but it took us awhile to figure out that we had to just walk all the way back the way we came to get out. It was a really fun day. When we got home Weston really wanted to pick the tulips growing in our front yard. There are only about 10 tulips out there, so I didn't really want them to get picked, but I finally let him pick 3 to cut and bring in the house. They are actually really pretty and I love seeing them on my piano every day. So Springy.
Today we got a package in the mail from my parents. They sent along a souvenir for Weston and Davin from their trip to Nauvoo. Weston wanted a picture with his "flag." Thanks Grandma and Grandpa!
In an unrelated vein I just have to whine a little bit. Davin is in this really frustrating stage where he's just so busy and into everything. I can't get anything done while he's around, but he only naps 1-2 hours per day. I'm so unproductive! I have been doing tons of outings because it's the only way I can feel like we are doing something "productive" while occupying his attention.

I'm ready to rip my hair out by the end of the day with him because even if perchance I do get housework done it looks like I haven't lifted a finger by dinner time. He just pulls everything out, off the fridge, out of cupboards. Whatever he can reach. I am hoping that he will start walking soon. He really loves being outside, but I hate to let him ruin all his clothes by crawling around on the concrete and dirt. All in good time, I know.

7 comments:

Mom said...

Oh, my goodness the tulips are beautiful!! I didn't know you had tulips in your yard. Even 10 are fun!! I'm glad you had a fun outing with Nicole and kids. I'm glad the package got there too and that Weston likes his pennant from Nauvoo. Did he get his penny too? The boys got flat, skinny stuff :-) Did the bathing suit fit??gin

Love ya!!

joyous said...

Look at you, bonding with the cousins! That looks like such a fun outing with Nicole. The tulips are beautiful, no wonder Weston was excited for the ones in your yard. I love his faces. Be grateful he still wants his picture taken, before you know it he'll turn into a surly teenager who won't even smile. No, not your son, never! Hahaha! Love ya lots. (Good luck keeping up with Davin!)

Jared and Delia said...

I LOVE tulips and the Thanksgiving Point Gardens are so beautiful. That is nice that you have a membership.

Glen & Kat said...

Those tulips are gorgeous! And those pics from your phone turned out really well. Don't you just love fresh flowers?! P.S. I feel your pain--Kaden is still in the 'busy and into everything' stage. We have child locks on all of our kitchen cabinets and on several of the doorknobs.

The Curnow Family said...

Wow, I love tulips too!! They are such a pretty spring flower! I might think about those next year to plant! My flowers are having a hard time, one has already died! So sad!!

Tasha said...

So fun to go with Nicole and her kids!!! You are so good at gettingout and getting friends to go with you. Sydney reminds me so much of Nicole when she was younger. What a fun outting!! (But sorry about Davin. BRayden was that way too. Hang in there. It does get better. But, they stay active for a long time.)

Natalie said...

Welcome to my last 3 children....Jordan wasn't quite so busy! Benson is starting this trend too! Yuck! I look forward to summer when i can send them outside! Beautiful tulips!