Monday, December 21, 2009

The Final Countdown

Well, folks, it's the final few days before Christmas. Our advent calendars are filling up. The candy countdowns are getting short. There are more presents under the tree every day. That's mainly because I have been wrapping some every night. Packages and Christmas cards are coming in the mail daily. I love that. I am baking and prepping for Christmas day now. My house currently smells like coffee cake that we will eat for breakfast on the 25th.

I am excited to watch the kids on Christmas morning, but truly, this is MY favorite part of the season. The anticipation. The prep. The music, smells, and yummy food. I love sitting at my piano and playing and singing Christmas carols. Last night Ian joined in on the guitar. It was beautiful. I am so thankful for this entire month that we have to celebrate Christ's birth. To be kinder to one another. To think about our blessings. To enjoy all the family traditions we have. To pick out gifts for the people we love. And most importantly to spend time with and serve the people we love.

I feel like my serving capabilities are not very great at the moment. I don't have the luxury of "free" time to go and volunteer much at all, but what I do have is plenty of time at home to serve my family. I feel like I do this by creating a beautiful holiday. Trying to be more patient. And filling the house with music.

I serve my kids all day everyday, but what I want to work on is serving my husband more. Helping him feel my love rather than just my frustrations and stories after a long day. It's so hard and requires me to be so much more selfless, which I'm not amazing at, but I want to try because I love him.

This has been a somewhat rambly post. Sorry. I just wanted to get my thoughts about the season down. I probably won't post again until after Christmas, so I wish you all a very Merry Christmas! Have fun and enjoy these days of prep and anticipation!

6 comments:

Glen & Kat said...

love the post!

lisa said...

your house feels like such a cozy, great place to spend the holidays. i love that. happy christmas!

joyous said...

Very fun! I need to sit down to the piano a little more often. It's the fighting and crying that always follows that make me not want to. Oh well. We have been playing christmas music this week and I watched "The Nativity Story" last night for the first time. I liked it more than I thought I would.

Mom said...

It sounds like you are making a home that is filled with the spirit of Christmas and all good things. What a wonderful thing to read about. Enjoy your last few days and I'm sure Weston will be ready too ;-) Dad and I delivered chocolate bread tonight and we're not even halfway done. Good thing we have Wednesday night too. Can't wait to see you and talk on Christmas day. Love ya!!

Jared and Delia said...

That goes right along with the visiting teaching message this month. We are asked to serve our loved ones who are around us first! You are a wonderful mom. Christmas at your house must be so fun.

Liz Smith said...

love this. :) Merry Christmas!!!!