Monday, October 18, 2010

2am

Being up at 2am is not fun. Especially when you're awake because you're cleaning up puke. Sigh. I heard Davin coughing last night in his bed and decided to go in and give him a sip of water so he could get back to sleep and not wake up Weston, but when I got into his room with the water he was sitting up in bed and there was nasty throw up all over his bed. Luckily he didn't get it on himself, so he didn't need a middle of the night bath. I just wiped him down a little and changed his jammies. The rest of his bed was a loss. I started laundry, but couldn't even get close to the actual vomit without my stomach churning. Lucky for me I have an amazing husband (I may have mentioned this last post) who does the clean up for me without complaint. I got Davin tucked in on the couch on top of a towel and under a spare fleece blanket. He was conked back out before we got all the way back into bed.

I laid awake in bed tossing and turning. Worrying that Davin would fall off the couch and get hurt. Worrying that he would throw up again. Worrying that it was all my fault he threw up again at all. I was the one who let him eat normal foods yesterday, including cheese (his favorite), which apparently his stomach just can't handle right now. I was the one who forgot to give him his inhalers last night before bed (I was putting the kids to bed in the middle of a temple prep class going on in my living room and was trying to get them down quickly and quietly). I was the one who took him to get a flu shot. There was plenty of worry and guilt swirling around my brain that it took me an hour and a half to get back to sleep.

Turns out that Davin slept solidly on the couch until almost 7 this morning. He came in to wake me up and asked for breakfast. I gave him a half cup of water/juice and 2 saltines. No weak, giving-in-to-cheese-pleas mommy today. I got him back tucked in with his "breakfast" and Toy Story 2 (have I mentioned he has watched Toy Story 1, 2, and the Buzz Lightyear movies all at least 3 times this weekend?). Weston slept in until 8am without his brother in there to wake him up. He also slept through the entire commotion at 2am. That kid amazes me. So far Davin hasn't thrown up again and it's 9am. Here's hoping he's better. I will still hold off on the cheese for at least a day or two.

Perks to Davin throwing up at 2am . . .
-his sheets probably needed to be washed anyway
-we pulled out his bed to strip it and found both his Lightning McQueen cars and his Chick Hicks that had been missing for weeks!
-Weston got to sleep in, which I think he has missed since having Davin move in with him.
-I will be fully justified if I take a nap today.

That's about all the positivity I can eek out right now. Weston is at school and I need a shower. Hope your week is starting off better than mine.

10 comments:

Alexis said...

So sorry about the pukiness. That is so not fun.

Don't beat yourself up about it though... NOT your fault!

Liz Smith said...

UGH! so sorry, shannon! I hope the rest of your week is TONS better!

and i'm with alexis...SO NOT your fault!!!

Kate said...

Haha! I love your pros for cleaning up throw up at 2 am list! Your so funny :) I keep hearing about sick kids lately! Hope you're all healthy and well soon.

Elisabeth (and Tyler) said...

Oh sad day!! I hope you get a nap in today.. PS I loved your review of the OC Great Park. I haven't been yet, but we almost took some guests there this weekend. I'm glad I didn't! We live right there.. I'm totally following on your footsteps :) NY, then Cali!

Jackie H said...

That sucks! We hate throw up around here. So much that when Claire found out that pregnant people (especially me) throw up she decided to stop praying for a new baby. She's fine with just Kyle.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cami said...

How stinky! I was up at 2am because I couldn't get back to sleep after nursing Kenzie but at least there wasn't vomit involved. You can also be grateful that you have your own washer & dryer because if my kids threw up during the night here, I'd have to wait until morning to do a load of laundry!

I hope you get your nap and I hope Davin feels better!!

elizabeth said...

Bummer about Davin (and you). Hope everyone is feeling better and perkier this afternoon. And that Weston is a mellow, easygoing child after pre-school for you too. I'm glad that you can "accentuate the positive"!!

Delia said...

I amazed at how eloquently you wrote that considering how tired you must be! Amazing.

I am so sorry to hear Davin is sick. Poor guy. Hope he gets better soon. Way to be such an upbeat mom.

J, J and B said...

It's so hard to find a pumpkin here for less than $20.00!! Can you believe it? I miss carving jack-o-lanterns!! I love how Davin picks a nice modest cute little pumpkin!