"We know that sometimes it can be difficult to keep our heads above water. In fact, in our world of change, challenges, and checklists, sometimes it can seem nearly impossible to avoid feeling overwhelmed by emotions of suffering and sorrow.
However, I would like to speak about two principles that may help you find a path to peace, hope, and joy—even during times of trial and distress. I want to speak about God’s happiness and how each one of us can taste of it in spite of the burdens that beset us."
It's interesting to me how completely different elements of this talk stuck out to me during this latest reading of his address than I remember from when I originally heard it. Obviously I can appreciate his understanding of how difficult it really can be to keep my head above water. He goes on to talk about finding happiness through creation and compassion.
"What you create doesn’t have to be perfect. So what if the eggs are greasy or the toast is burned? Don’t let fear of failure discourage you. Don’t let the voice of critics paralyze you—whether that voice comes from the outside or the inside.
If you still feel incapable of creating, start small. Try to see how many smiles you can create, write a letter of appreciation, learn a new skill, identify a space and beautify it."
It's nice to have a reminder from a divine source to be easy on myself. Things I do don't have to be perfect. Start small and let yourself grow. This is going to be my inspiration for this upcoming week.
From the talk "Happiness, Your Heritage" by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
11 comments:
I heavily quoted that talk in when I spoke in church about trials a couple of years ago. And I like to refer to it when I'm struggling. President Uchtdorf's talks always inspire me.
I love this! If you haven't seen it, check out the Mormon Messages video made from this talk: http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?autoplay=true&index=2&locale=0&sourceId=ffd6ad4e1ae92210VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=bd163ca6e9aa3210VgnVCM1000003a94610aRCRD (If that link doesn't work, just go to lds.org and search for "Create" and it's the first video that comes up.) It gives me chills every time I see it.
I loved that talk. I really enjoy all of President Uchtdorf's talks. He's one of my favorites! I think a lot of talks can 'hit us' at different times in our lives. We can read them over and over! Thanks for sharing!
Our stake was invited to attend the conference center that year so Sheena and I were actually sitting in the conference center when he gave that talk and I'll never forget it. It is absolutely one of the most memorable talks I have ever heard. It was just so comforting and encouraging. It must have really hit you when he talked about keeping your head above water since that's exactly how you've been describing your feelings lately! I love it when you are doing your calling and you get rewarded with a spiritual moment like that. Thanks for sharing, it's a great reminder to us all.
p.s. your header looks really cute!
Awesome! Thanks for sharing, Shannon. That was a great talk and I needed that reminder. :) I love you lots and hope your lesson goes well.
Thanks for sharing this today. It was just what I needed.
I love that. I agree- it's very inspiring :) I hope your week is a wonderful one.
I loved that talk and the Mormon Messages video clip inspired by that talk too. I posted it on my blog a while ago, but I really appreciated your reminder this morning. Thanks! :-)
Wow, it's funny how you do know you are in the right place doing the right thing when you find inspiration while in the right place doing the right thing. We're having a great weekend with Mel. Sorry it has to end today. . . I love you and will call you later.
Glad you found those inspiring words AGAIN just when you needed them. Heavenly Father has so many tender mercies, doesn't He? Did your girls like it too?
Post a Comment