Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Meeting the Family

It took awhile to get settled into the maternity ward on Friday night and even longer before I was completely un-numbed from my epidural.  Ian stayed to do Beckett's first "bath," which was more of a wipe down than a bath, then he packed up and headed home to relieve Auntie Mel and Uncle Brad from kid duty and to get some sleep.  I actually slept pretty great that first night in the hospital too. 
Saturday morning I took a shower and got ready to introduce Beckett to his brothers and sister!  He was excited.  I could tell.  :)  Ian brought the kids to the hospital and the next couple hours were pretty chaotic.  Hospital rooms just aren't made for preschooler/toddler exploration.  Talia was mostly just excited to see me.  We snuggled and I fed her all my snacks while Weston and Davin took turns holding their new baby brother.  They were both really excited to meet him and had practiced saying his name at home. 
 
 
 
 
 
 Finally I put Talia in the rocking chair and gave her her brother.  She was kind of speechless for a minute staring at him then she looked up at us and smiled.  It was too cute.  She didn't want me to take him from her for awhile after that.  I was glad that she liked holding him and didn't try to maul him or anything.  I had my concerns.  We managed to take a family pic in the hospital with our new family of six!


 Bowles Baby Trivia . . . can you tell which Bowles baby is which?
 
At the end of the kids' visit Mel and Brad arrived with my mom!  They had picked her up from the airport and come straight to the hospital.  This was the first time I have had any of my sisters close enough to visit my baby in the hospital.  It was really fun to have Mel and Brad there and they were so great to help out with the kids while we were having Beckett on Friday (I can't believe I didn't get a picture of them with Beck!).  And, of course, my awesome mom came to stay with me for the week and help out.  She's the best.
By the time everyone left I was ready for a nap!  Ian came back that afternoon to hang out with me.  And I had some more visitors that night.  My friends from my old ward came to see Beckett and chat.  It was fun. 
As much as I love having people care enough to come and see me in the hospital I also loved the quiet hours I got to spend with Ian and Beckett before we had to go home to our actual busy, loud life. 
 
 
 Saturday night was rough with Beckett being more fussy and nurses needing labs and vitals and to give me more meds.  I didn't get much sleep.  Once Ian got back in the morning on Sunday I finally settled in for a good nap.  We spent Sunday quietly enjoying our new baby before checking out in the late afternoon.  Beckett looked so cute in his dinosaur outfit coming home.  So happy to have Beckett as a part of our family.  Now it's time to start adjusting to our new normal. 
 

7 comments:

heather said...

CONGRATS!! I love birth stories! and I can't BELIEVE you got a good nights sleep in the hospital. I never do. so excited for your cute little/big family :)

Glen & Kat said...

What cute pictures!

Liz Smith said...

he's so darling and i love your family picture!! i'm so happy for you guys. enjoy that newborn! sooo teeny and perfect. :) :) :)

Emilee said...

As usual, you look gorgeous in your post baby pictures. Good luck to adjusting to being a mom of 4! I can't even imagine.

Tara said...

This is all feeling pretty familiar to me right now. I agree, just being alone with Justin & Micah was the best experience. With your first baby you get bored but when you know you're going home to some busy days, you relish the peace. :)
Beckett is such a cutie pie. In your name-that-baby pic, I'm not sure on Davin & Talia, but I have never seen anyone look more like their newborn picture than Weston, it is crazy!

Tasha said...

I am so excited for you guys! He is truly so adorable! When I read your part about "your now family of6" it hit me that we will be a family of 6in just a few short months. Craziness.

Lori said...

Kinda guessing here...but I'm going to go clockwise and guess 1. Talia 2. Weston 3. Davin and 4. Beckett

Now I'm going to go do the same thing on my blog and see if you can figure out which of my boys is which. ;-)