Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Getting There

It took me practically the entire week before we left on our California trip to actually get ready to leave for our California trip.  I had to go tanning, get a pedicure, figure out what we needed to pack and pack it, type up the kids' schedules for my mom, gather cruise documents, get the oil changed and tires rotated on the van (which turned into almost $1000 worth of work on it; boo), and more.  It was pretty crazy.  
Beckett playing on the toys in the waiting area at the oil change/car wash place.  Those balls were probably really gross but they kept him really happy!
This was our first trip since we had Beckett and I felt like it was much harder to prepare for than any trip we have take before.  It was also complicated by the fact that I felt like I was packing for 2 trips.  The one to visit my family and the cruise.  Needless to say I did finally get everything done and we packed up the car and headed out on Friday morning.

The drive that day was pretty good considering we were driving 600 miles with four children.  They all plugged into their screens and were content.  Talia loved having her own headphones that fit and she could get on and off of her head all by herself.  Weston seriously thought it was the best day of his life.  Unlimited screen time, McDonald's, and snacks.  What more could he possibly want?!? Davin and Talia each napped a little bit.  Beckett slept quite a lot and was really really good.  The last hour in the car he got fussy, but still not too bad.
That evening was nice.  Jules and Rick came over and we got to hang out with them.  Ian and Rick went and saw Man of Steel while Jules and I just hung out and girl talked.  Later we made a Target run with Mom.  We got maxi skirts and other random stuff (I forgot a couple things and needed baby food for Beckett).

Saturday morning the kids were up suuuper early.  I was up with Beckett at 5:15am and all the rest of the kiddos were up by 6.  Welcome to vacations with little ones.  Not exactly restful.  I met up with Jules and Rick to hike the Fullerton Loop "later" that morning.  Later being 8am.  It was really fun!  I loved getting to spend time talking with Jules and Rick.  It was a nice, cool morning and the views were pretty great.  We even ran into a cute old man out walking his dog who sang us "Let Me Call You Sweetheart."  It almost made me cry because Grandpa Snowball used to sing that one.  Definitely a fun way to start the day.  I rewarded myself for exercising on vacation with a donut on the way back to my parents house.  :)
Saturday day we took the kids in the spa and played at Grandma and Grandpa's house.  That night after dinner we watched The Hobbit with my parents.  Sunday was Father's Day!  It was fun to be with my dad for the celebration.  Especially because a special day meant a yummy special meal.  My Grandma and Grandpa Olson, Uncle Rich and Aunt Joyce, Lance, and Aunt LeeDean came over for dinner.  My dad grilled tri tip and baked potatoes.  It was delicious.  He even made homemade ice cream for dessert.
All of the dads opened up their presents and we enjoyed visiting.  I can't believe I didn't take any pictures that night!  I'm so lame.

Monday was cruise day!  Ian and I gathered up our cruise stuff and after lunch we drove down to Long Beach.  We stopped in to visit Grandma Snowball before going to the ship.  It was so nice to see her and spend a few minutes visiting.
Next stop was the cruise ship!  Then the real vacation started.  We had a blast.  So glad we finally made it there.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Sounds like the beginning of an awesome trip! I have to say, I HATE packing for trips. I love being there--but the packing just about kills me every time.

On another note...there's an ad on your blog, (on the sidebar), featuring a VERY scantily clad woman. (I think it's for a game...) Anyway--wanted you to be aware. :)