Thursday, March 19, 2009

Scary Stuff

Yesterday was a weird day. Davin was still pretty lethargic and sick, so we stayed home all day. In the morning Ian IMed me that something was going on at work and he thought that there were going to be layoffs. I immediately started panicking. Luckily Ian still has a job, but at his small company 8 people were laid off, including some of our close friends. It breaks my heart. I am praying that things will work out for everyone.

That jolt of panic yesterday also had a different effect on me . . . instant humility and gratitude. You all know I've been kind of living in my own little pity party world these last few weeks. The possibility of losing our job, and not being at all prepared for that scenario, brought my life back into a sharp focus on the most important things in it.

I am hoping that I can get my act together and remember the importance of trying to be more self sufficient and start thinking past the next paycheck. I also am thankful that I am now seeing life in a broader sense than my little mommy world. My life is blessed.

In case you were wondering, Davin slept LOTS better last night and was only up once. He woke up this morning happy and fever free. He's not 100% yet, still coughing and congested, but clearly feeling much better. We even ventured to story time at the library this morning. Weston was pretty desperate to get out of the house.

Finally, CONGRATS to my sister in law, Aly! She got engaged last night! So exciting. We are looking forward to being there for her special day.

11 comments:

Olson Family said...

ohhh ya dad was telling me about this today at lunch, at least Ian was safe, but ya things are scary right now. Hope everything ends ok.

joyous said...

Wow, I'm so glad Ian still has his job. No one is safe right now, which is very scary. I'm also really glad to hear that Davin is doing better, poor guy. Hang in there, reality checks are never very fun. Love you lots

jilljohnson said...

I am glade to hear that Ian did not get layed off. I hope that Davin keep getting better.

Hilary said...

That is so scary . . . Greg's job actually WAS cut at work, but they fortunately transferred him to another position (laying off the other person though, unfortunately). It's such a relief to still be employed, but makes you feel bad for those who weren't so lucky . . .
I'm glad things worked out for you guys though!

Kat and Steve said...

It's interesting how quick your perspective changes, isn't it? Last year at this time Steve was asking for a raise. This year we're not asking for ANYTHING, we're just happy to have a job. Glad it worked out for you guys.

Tara said...

Man, that would have been such a nightmare. It's sad though that "close friends" did get laid off (hope that's not who I think).
Glad things are going better with the kids. We've had a little bit of sore throat action so we've been staying home too. Thank goodness the weather has been nice. The backyard has been a lifesaver the last few days!

Emilee said...

Eli and I were glad to hear that Ian still has a job. We've known a lot of people who've been laid off recently, so no matter what else seems to be going wrong, we're grateful for the jobs we have.

Tasha said...

That is so stressful. These really are scary times with jobs. I am glad Ian still has his. Isn't it true that things like that put life into perspective? I am glad Davin is doing much better too. Keep hanging in there. Sick kids are hard.

Unknown said...

talk about reality checks. I'm glad yours didn't actually end with no job. We all need to be grateful for the small things these days, especially financially. Sometimes I feel like there are so many things I WANT (like a tv, a matching couch and loveseat, a real comfortable bed mattress and frame, etc.... etc....) that are OUT of our livin-on-loans-and-HUGE-amounts-of-debt-Med-student-with-a-baby budget. I need to remember to be happy with the PEOPLE in my life, not the circumstances. Tough to remember that sometimes. Thanks for sharing your experience. I can always use the reminder.

Liz Smith said...

it is such a scary time right now. We went thru the same thing in the beginning of february. luckily, jared still has his job, but we had friends get laid off which is scary/sad/etc. every day i just pray that we can continue to survive and am so grateful for the blessings we continue to enjoy. i hope things continue to go well for you guys. hugs!

JAB0218 said...

Hang in there Shannon! I know we have been in situations where we have been blessed to see the blessings we have and how great we really have it. I hope things continue to go well.