Thursday, April 16, 2009

Our Non Spring Break

Since Weston and Davin aren't in school we have no Spring break. I guess you could say we are always on "break." I didn't have much going on this week and the weather was gray and wet, so we ended up doing lots of fun outings. Tuesday we spent some time with Daddy. We picked him up from work and then took him with us to pick up Davin's 1 year old pictures and out to lunch.

On Wednesday I had told Weston that we were going to go try out this new place near us that has all the bouncy house toys, like Kangaroo Zoo. I was in need of some adult conversation, so I called my friend, Tara, last minute to see if she and her kids wanted to come too. It turns out that they had just been there last week, but they were headed out to the aquarium. I invited myself along. We bought a year long pass to the aquarium for Weston, Davin, and myself for $28. Not bad, right?

The aquarium is pretty small, but we had a good time exploring and with the pass it was definitely worth it. We also had fun seeing friends. The boys' favorite part of the entire aquarium was this little area where they could crawl around. There were fish tanks built into the coral crawl spaces too, so Dav got to get up close with the fish.
This was Weston's favorite part, a fake crab. My kids are so weird. Actually, when Weston was telling Ian about our day he said that seeing the (also fake) shark, Bruce, from Nemo was his favorite part. In any case, apparently the actual sea creatures didn't hold very much interest for my 3 year old.
Well, since I had mentioned going to Jumpin Jacks yesterday there was no way I was getting out of taking Weston there. This morning it was the dreaded day that Weston needed his toenails trimmed. He HATES it and I usually end up holding him down with my legs on the floor while he thrashes and screams, and I attempt to get the job done. Well, today I told him if he held still, didn't pull his feet away, and didn't cry while I cut his toenails, then I would take him to Jumpin Jacks today. Worked like a charm.

I was pleasantly surprised by Jumpin Jacks. It was pretty clean, had plenty of adult seating, lots of fun bouncy toys, and 3 year olds jump for only $5. The other thing I liked about it is that it's for adults too. Kangaroo Zoo has a 150 pound weight limit on their bouncy toys, so adults mostly just watch. Next time I think I will pay for all of us so we can all play. Needless to say everyone had a grand old time.
I neglected to mention that I finished reading the book "In Her Shoes" by Jennifer Weiner last night. I was looking forward to nap time today to watch the movie. Alas, the boys had other plans. I thought for sure Jumpin Jacks would have worn Weston out enough for a nap, but he claims he isn't tired. Davin was exhausted, but only napped for a little over an hour and woke up cranky. I think I got maybe 20 minutes of the movie in. Oh well, I will have to save it for when they are in bed.

I sometimes stress that I spoil my kids (namely Weston) too much. I know that as our family grows and gets older I won't be able to do big outings like this as often. I just hope Weston can become a good, kind, contributing member of society despite my penchant for taking him on big, fun outings all the time. What do y'all think . . . Do you worry that you are spoiling your kids? How? Have you made any changes?

8 comments:

Kat and Steve said...

Shannon, you are NOT spoiling your children. You are making memories with them, and you will never regret it.

Hilary said...

I LOVE the aquarium pass! So reasonable, and kids love it there! Ours has expired now, we're giving it some time then doing a new one (taking a break for now!)

We haven't done the Kangaroo place yet . . . but LOVE Classic Fun Center with the bouncy stuff and skating there! You should email sometime when you guys are going somewhere, we'd love to come!

Some of my husband's family is constantly telling me that we're 'wasting our money' with some of the stuff we do with the girls (especially when we took Annie on a cruise, and going to Disneyland this month) . . . my parents are the exact opposite, telling us that the things a child does and experiences and helps them to imagine more and think more creatively is what makes them who they are . . . and even if Annie will never remember a second of this Disneyland trip we're taking, I will NEVER forget watching my little girl experience the world. ALL WORTH IT! And all your kids don't need to have the same experiences, they'll all have their own, and it'll be great!

Mom said...

Well, do you think you were spoiled?? Wait, don't answer that:-) We did a lot of outings and trips, like with the Crisps etc. We also had Grandma Olson's pool that we would go camp out at every summer. You just happen to be like your Mom and need to get out and do things. Come to think of it. . I'm still like that. Can't change your stripes too much! As long as your outings are of good report and praiseworthy. The brethren keep saying "wholesome family activities". I love you!!

Tara said...

I'm so glad you guys got a pass to the aquarium. Hopefully next time it will be less crazy so we just relax and talk more, I felt like it was so hectic in there!
Spoiling?! Nah, you are such an awesome mom for getting out so much. I spend way too many days just cleaning (and your house is still cleaner than mine, what's up with that?).
I'm glad you guys got to go to Jumpin Jacks and liked it. When you want to go again, give me a call! I would LOVE to have Makenzie's bday party there in the fall but that would get pretty pricey.
Oh yes, and next time you guys go to Thanksgiving Point, can I invite myself to that one? :) We went to BYU today (for Justin's h.s. spanish language fair) and Kenz got excited when she saw that big dinosaur.

Jared and Delia said...

I love the sting rays at the aquarium! I don't think that you spoil your kids. That is nice that you have the means to create such fun memories.

I love Weston's artwork - such talent. I love the hair. :) (previous post)

Owen HATES having his toes clipped too. He doesn't like having his nails clipped but can handle it. The toes though - sheesh. What is with that?

You are a great bargain shopper. Go you.

Kate said...

I'm the same way. Sometimes I worry that my kids take for granted all the fun things we do. Amy is so great about it and I try to be like her. She almost always has her kids earn things. Jobs, jars with marbles, etc. I'm always trying to be more like that. Your kids are young so I think the toenails was a perfect way he was able to sacrifice to do something he wanted to do. You're doing a great job Shannon!
(been meaning to ask how you like the swimsuits)

Tasha said...

I am totally impressed with all the fun things you were up to this week!!! You are so good about getting out of the house with your boys and doing such fun things. I need to be better at that!! Davin is seriously turning into such a little dude. He is so darling. I love seeing both Weston and Davin having fun this week. Glad it has been a good week. And don't worry about spoiling your children. They are learning at most of these places you take them. I think you are a good Mom for doing so many things iwth them!!

Jackie H said...

Ha! Starving students that we are (for the next 12 days! and until we get a permanent job), an "outing" for us is going to the park. There is a zoo up here that costs $3 for our whole family to enter, so that's usually the biggest thing we do. Sometimes during the summer we splurge and get a snow cone. Kids just want to play, regardless of the price I think. That said, maybe my opinion would change if we were remotely close to anything exciting for kids.