The plan was to wake up bright and early for a morning walk through Central Park. Like I said, though, I slept like a baby and don't even remember hearing the alarm. Oh well, it's vacation. We ended up just barely getting ready in time to get to the American Airlines Theater box office in time for it to open. We got our $21.50 general rush tickets to see The Philanthropist and then grabbed some delish breakfast at Pax.
Sunday was our big shopping day. We started at the base of Central Park at 5th Avenue where the new Apple store is. Ian already had his new iphone, but wanted to check out the store. It was really cool. Not as big as we were expecting. The store part is all underground. The only thing above ground is this big glass cube with spiral stairs leading down to the store. Here's Ian in the cube atrium.

Right next door is the toy mecca FAO Schwartz. We had a lot of fun here actually. It wasn't all that crowded and we browsed all the toys looking for presents for the kids. We ended up with a new bath toy holder, a spinning light toy for Davin, and an adorable Melissa & Doug pirate puppet for Weston. This is me with one of the soldiers at the entrance to the store.

They had tons of huge toys including this giant Chewbacca made of Lego's. The other impressive Lego display was a collection of life size Harry Potter characters, including Hagrid! I love that Ian looks like such a little boy in this picture. :)

We wandered down 5th Avenue and passed all the fun stores, like Tiffany's. We also saw St. Patrick's cathedral. I love all the hustle and bustle of New York, and 5th Avenue is always busy.

We walked down 5th all the way to Rockefeller Center. It was overcast, but not raining on Sunday, which was great. I eventually even took off my sweater.

If you watch 30 Rock, then you recognize this shot. We enjoyed some people watching in the plaza. By the time we finished checking out the Nintendo store it was time to make our way back to the theater for our play.

We didn't end up getting to see a musical this trip, but instead saw a play. It was pretty funny and starred Matthew Broderick. He was great. We really enjoyed it. The performance was in this restored theater and it was so beautiful. It had this gorgeous rotunda that I took some pictures of, but they didn't do it justice. Here we are during intermission in our seats.

We wanted to go shop at the MoMA store, so after the play we got slightly lost trying to get to there. Oops. I loved all the cool things at the museum store and the design store across the street. Here is a picture Ian took of the wall o' clocks.

Ian picked out an Indian restaurant for dinner that night. It was tiny, but the decor was awesome and the food was amazing. I especially loved the light fixtures you can see behind Ian. I'm pretty sure the entire place could only seat 14 people. Tops. We ordered the Chicken Tikka Masala. I had never had it before, but I really enjoyed it. It was almost sweet. Tadka was a hit. Happy Father's Day Ian!

After dinner we were pretty worn out, so we headed back to the hotel for a rest. This is us trying to take a discrete, non-touristy picture of ourselves on the subway.

That awesome king sized bed was calling my name, but I just vegged for a little bit. We decided we needed some dessert, so Ian busted out the trusty (and incredibly handy on this trip) iphone to search nearby, highly rated, French restaurants. We ended up going to this quaint little French place called Le Rivage just a couple blocks from the hotel for some creme brulee. Yummy. Great way to end our Father's Day New York style.
10 comments:
I'm loving all these New York pictures! Can't wait to see more!
oh Tiffanys...one of my favorite places, and the NYC one is the best one of them all! :)
I love reading about New York. I'm so glad you guys had a fun time! I like the picture that you guys took of yourselves at the play.
Oh man...I'm jealous! Glad you guys had fun!
so fun you got to do a no kid trip in NYC! that seems like a place that wouldn't be too kid friendly. looks like you had a blast!
That is awesome! That show must have been so fun. That was cool you got a picture in front of that 30 Rock sign.
Thank you for the comforting comment too. :)
I LOVE the lego Chewie! I have never been to New York City, so I'm totally jealous right now. Looks like you guys had a blast! How great to sneak away for a weekend without the lil guys, just the 2 of you!
I finished Book Thief and highly recommend it. Life of Pi is a lil more serious reading, but I enjoyed what I read of it.
I never heard: how did your beets turn out?
You guys really know how to tour a place! I love it. I don't know that we would be able to see and do so much, but wish we had the skills to. Glad this trip was so fun :)
this is such a fun little virtual tour of nyc. love the 30 rock tribute pic! :)
love it all!!! THanks for the post. It's fun seeing New York through your eyes!
Post a Comment