Thursday, June 11, 2009

Return Trip

Every year about this time I get all nostalgic about our summer in New York. Summer of 2005 Ian and I packed up our suitcases, locked up our apartment in Provo, and flew off to New York City for 3 1/2 months. Ian worked full time doing an internship for an ad agency called Geppetto Group. I opted not to try to find a job for such a short period of time and just enjoy the city. Turned out to be a good decision because just 2 weeks after getting settled in our tiny sublet apartment in midtown we found out I was pregnant with Weston. It was great to not have to drag myself off to a job every day when I was dealing with morning sickness and exhaustion.
(In front of our apartment building on 36th Street and 10th Ave.)
We hosted family and friends during our stay and enjoyed seeing all the sights with them. While we were on our own we got to explore the less touristy parts of Manhattan, like the laundromat and the "grocery store" (there are no real grocery stores there, they are all tiny and ridiculously overpriced which explains the thousands of restaurants in NYC). We spent the 4th of July that summer playing cards in Central Park and watching fireworks over the Hudson River.
(Being touristy in Central Park)
It was swelteringly hot and humid, but we managed with our window unit air conditioner in the apartment. We entered tons of Broadway show lotteries and ended up seeing 6 plays that summer. We also helped friends, family, and family of friends have extra entries to win lotteries to shows we had already seen. I went to the ginormous, beautiful library. I shopped at H&M and Macy's. We became pros at getting around the city using public transportation. We wandered endlessly and got lost occasionally.
(On top of the Empire State Building)
Yesterday Ian found out that the Kennecott project that he worked on awhile back won an award. That award is being presented in NYC on June 22nd and we are going to be there to accept it! I am so excited to go back to NY. I am very much NOT a spontaneous person, so trying to decide to go on this trip on such short notice was kind of stressful, but now that we are committed I am SO excited. I'm glad it's next week. We just couldn't pass up an opportunity to return to the city that never sleeps for such a small fraction of the cost of a non-work sponsored trip. Manhattan, here we come!

14 comments:

joyous said...

Awesome! I know you'll have a great time. ;)

J, J and B said...

Wow! Never knew you were a blonde! :) What a fun experience. NY is so fun. No matter how many times you go!

Lana said...

Aww, congrats, that sounds like so much fun! Are you taking the boys with you or getting a baby sitter?

Liz Hine said...

Yay for NYC!!!! Have a blast! You won't regret not going... remember that as your getting ready to go! Congrats to Ian and you and enjoy your weekend!

jilljohnson said...

I learned to things about you. 1 that you were a blond at one point in your life and 2 that you lived in NYC for a summer. Have fun on you trip. I love NYC that is were I went for my senior trip!

Tara said...

The whole thing is pretty glamorous, really. You guys are traveling to NYC for Ian's big shot award... man! Wanna be you guys right now!

Liz Smith said...

I definitely heart NYC. we spent half a summer there in 2006 for Jared's training at BofA. I too just enjoyed manhattan and absolutely loved it. we're hoping to go back sometime soon because ive been missing it ever since. have fun! :)

Anonymous said...

How fun!! Wow that's awesome!

Kat and Steve said...

That is so cool! Awesome that you guys got to have an adventure like that. I kind of wish we had done something like that before the kiddos showed up. I've yet to go to NYC, so I'll just have to live vicariously through you. Have fun!

Jared and Delia said...

Yay...congrats to Ian. That is so exciting!

Kate said...

That is just so awesome! What a great thing that you got to live there for a whole summer and get past the tourist stuff. Have a great time! You deserve it :)

Karisty said...

Are you guys still planning on coming to the family reunion later that week?

The Curnow Family said...

Yay!! I'm so excited that you are going!!! And sweet of mom to watch the kids! I'm so jealous! I've never been farther East than Colorado! haha

Tasha said...

So exciting!!! I hope you have a blast. It will be nice to get away for a fwe days too. Can't wait to hear more about it :)