Saturday, October 17, 2009

Not So Fun Stuff

Yesterday was Friday. I watched my friend's kids all day. It was pretty fun. Weston enjoyed having a playmate and I enjoyed pawning Sammie off on Ian for the day. Seriously the puppy free day was great. I even got to read my book for an hour while the babies were napping and Weston and Claire watched Sesame Street. Ian pinged me and told me he was going to have to stay late, so I figured we could do one of our stay in dates. We were going to order take out and watch Matrix Reloaded. Well, as I was getting kids out of the bath Ian called. I ran out to grab my phone and when I got back in the bathroom there was water flooding up from under the toilet. Crap. I know what this means.

We have had more than our fair share of plumbing problems in this house and the worst one when we first moved in started this exact same way. I quickly plugged the tub, got some towels, and managed to get Davin out of the tub. Sigh. What a bummer. It so figures that the very week before our "extra" paycheck we have a major repair. Needless to say Ian and I were both pretty bummed out. Bye bye beautiful weekend.

Then around 2:30am Weston was up crying in his bed and coughing. I thought he had already thrown up but he hadn't. He said his throat hurt and he was burning up (I'm so sorry Jackie! I had no idea he was remotely sick.). It took a little while for him to calm down. We gave him some Tylenol and tucked him back in. Luckily he slept the rest of the night. This morning he was still feverish and just plain did NOT feel good. He layed down pretty much all day while we gave him Tylenol and juice and scratched his back. I hope hope it's not the flu. We shall see what tonight brings.

Back to the plumbing situation. We called Whipple this morning and they couldn't come until 2-4pm. I went to my eye doctor appointment this morning unshowered and with no makeup. I did, however, brush my teeth. :) All was well there. Just expensive.

The Whipple guy came at about 2:30. He was awesome. Seriously the best contractor I've ever worked with. He was polite and personable, but not creepy. He seemed logical and knowledgeable. Unfortunately there was nothing he could really do to solve the problem. It seems that we have another main pipe burst/collapse/tree root invasion. Only this time it's close to the house. It may even be under the house, like under the slab foundation (no crawl space even). So we paid him $100 for finding that out for us (he was very helpful though and spent 2 hours working on it). We are hoping that Kearns Improvement District will fix it for us come Monday. Fingers crossed. In the meantime we will be showering at the fitness center and hitting up the ghetto laundromat.

In an effort to not spiral into a deep depression over all this crappiness (pun intended?) . . . here is my positive side.

5 Positive Things about This Weekend:

1. I may start working out again since I'll be at the gym showering anyway.

2. I don't have to feel guilty for not doing laundry, dishes, or cleaning the bathrooms.

3. We do, in fact, have an "extra" paycheck next week.

4. I got to snuggle a lot with Weston the Sickie.

5. At least the kids are still cute, Davin's not sick (yet), and he thinks our pipes are hilarious.
This is of Davin watching the video from the plumber's camera of our pipes. Not sure why it was so funny.

PS-I got called back for my solo audition! Sure it's along with 9 other ladies for the same song, but still. There's still a shot that I will get to sing a solo in the Tabernacle! Send me good, calming vibes next Sunday around 6. :)

15 comments:

Tasha said...

What a bad weekend!! No fun! I am so sorry about the pipe problem. UGGGG!! I hope it doesn't cost too much. If it comes from the trees is there any way your home owners will cover it? Hope Weston gets better quick too and Davin doesnt' get it. Sending you lots and lots of love!

lisa said...

That's awesome!!!! (obviously I'm referring to the solo audition...) Best of luck!

Cami said...

That plumbing situation really sucks! That happened when we were visiting a friend's cabin in Park City. The main pipe was blocked so every time a toilet flushed it backed up into the basement! We couldn't use water in the house at all and had to go to the gas station to go to the bathroom. They got new carpeting through their insurance though! I hope you can get it fixed soon!! But I am totally excited for you and your solo call back! You go, girl!

Jared and Delia said...

Oh no! I am sorry about your plumbing issues and Weston being sick! I hope he gets better. Yay for getting that part. Best wishes. I hope everything gets resolved soon. What a blessing that the extra paycheck is coming! :)

Liz Smith said...

unexpected home repairs are never ever fun. im sorry. :( i hope it all works out.

congrats on your call back! that's so cool! i'll be sending good luck vibes your way. :)

Tara said...

Holy cow, not fair. I am so sorry. I loved #1 on your bright side list, that's hilarious.

Kate said...

At least you have an extra paycheck right? Still a total bummer :) Good luck with your solo! I'm looking forward to hearing you sing someday- I had no idea!

Mom said...

I'm so so so sorry about the plumbing and the flu!! Thank heavens for the extra paycheck!! That's what we say when we are grown up ;-) CONGRATS on the solo. Do you have to sing it standing on a chair stretching up to reach the microphone?? (I think about that everytime I listen to you singing Al Shlosha on the CD!) I'm hoping the Kearns people will help with your stupid plumping. . .ug! And, of course, I'm sending you the best thoughts for your call backs. Love ya!!

Amanda said...

Sorry about the plumbing stuff. We hated dealing with that when we had our condo. I'm sure it will continue to be the bane of our existences when we buy a home up here.

Congrats on the solo audition! I hope it goes well! Keep us posted...

Jackie H said...

What a bummer about the pipes! And about Weston being sick. We appreciate you watching the kids regardless. Kids are going to get sick anyway. At least if they do come down with it we'll be able to ask you how long it lasted.

I totally noticed your hair, but didn't want to look too closely fearing that you'd look closely at me sans-makeup. It's really cute. I wish I was brave enough to change mine up.

I lost my phone for a day and didn't get the chance to thank you---but thanks again. You saved me. And we're done with three floors and the tub surround. Yeah!

jilljohnson said...

I hate days/weekends like that. I hope that your pipe problem is fixed quick and with as few $$$$ as posible. Good luck with the solo you have an amamzing voice.

Emilee said...

Sorry to hear about the plumbing and the sick Weston. We've been lucky with Ivy so far, but it definitely worries me.

joyous said...

Major bummer!!! I'm so sorry to hear about the pipe problem. Hang in there because these things are always more complicated than they should be. I love your list of positive things...too funny.

Congrats on your callback! I know you'll do well. The girls always think they see you in the choir when we watch it on Sunday mornings. LOL

And I hope you do get a workout in there, it will make you feel better (just in general). Much love coming your way.

Unknown said...

Oh, man, that sounds AWFUL! Are you unable to flush toilets and run the sink water too? I hope that they can fix it easily today. What happens if, indeed, it IS under the foundation of the house? Do they have to tear down part of your house?

Sorry Weston is ill. Sounds like things just aren't too awesome right now. I'm impressed with your ability to look on the bright side.

Glen & Kat said...

Oh man, I'm so sorry! It seems like there's always something...I hope it gets fixed quick.