First of all, I am no expert, but here's what we did this time to find a good deal. I looked for a couple weeks at the local classifieds to see what the general prices were and which ones looked like good deals. This one was actually found on the classifieds.
Secondly, we bought from a small dealer. I loved this! We saved almost $1000 in fees compared to buying at the big dealership. It was a little bit more of a hassle since we had to do all the loan stuff ourselves, but it wasn't that hard. I think that small dealers also generally have the best prices since they have lower overheads.
After we had test driven and narrowed it down to 2 cars we got those dealers' best prices then called around and went to other dealerships to see if they could match/beat those best prices. If they say there's no way they can beat it then you can be fairly confident you are getting a good deal.
Last time we bought a car we got GAP insurance. This pays for the difference between what your car is worth and what you owe on it if it gets stolen or totaled. At the dealership we paid $700 for this insurance. We found out this time around that we could buy GAP insurance from our credit union for only $245. The point is, ask what each charge is above the purchase price and see if it's optional or negotiable.
Finally, I think what made this the best car buying experience was knowing that we didn't HAVE to buy a car. We could walk away. Don't go in planning to buy (even if you sorta are). Plan on at least sleeping on it. The seller wants you to buy it and whatever deal you were offered on Friday will still be there on Saturday.
If you are in the market for a minivan, I am really loving the Toyota. I have read only good things. Sure every seat can't fold flat, but there's no shortage of storage (say that 5 times fast), it's the most reliable minivan, and it drives so incredibly smoothly and quietly. I didn't have to even adjust the radio on/off the freeway. Anyway, hope this helps. Go minivans!
13 comments:
AWESOME! I love it. Thanks for the tips too. We are going to have to buy a new car in the next two years (hello hatchback, can't wait to say goodbye!)...and think we'll probably just go straight to the minivan. You look so good in your new wheels!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I want a minivan soooo bad. It is awesome. Congrats again!
You look quite adorable in your new car and Weston looks ecstatic about the new car!! Have fun driving around doing all your errands. You lucky girl you!!
And don't you just LOVE the new car smell?! ;)
wow, you guys really did your homework and EARNED this good deal! Merry Christmas to you INDEED!
Wohoo!!! Welcome to the the club! It looks great and I"m so glad that you love it. Can't wait to see it for real one of these days. :) Enjoy your first grocery shopping trip!!!
Yay! I enjoyed reading your experience. WE have never bought a new car...only really old ones from individual sellers, so learned a lot reading your tips and such. THe kids look happy too! Congrats!
WAHOOOOO!!!! Oh, how I love the Toyota too. We did tons and tons of research too and found this really is the best van. Especially if you are buying used (which we were too). So glad it all went through and you are now a minivan driver. YEAH!!
Hooray for your new car!! It's so cute! I love the color and I'm glad you got a good deal! I can't wait to see it in like 2 weeks!!
Cool, Shannon! Never thought I'd say this, but I'm jealous of your minivan. That will be SO nice!
oh dont' you just looove a nice clean car in the winter? With all the snowing and slush, mine sure doesn't look all nice and shiny like that!
We test drove the Odyssey and Sienna a few months ago, but didn't buy cuz we don't really need it yet. When we do I will be so excited to get the Sienna, I liked it best!
WooYoo!! Cool Mom in a Mini Van. The convenience you will now enjoy. Wish we were there to enjoy it with you. We are looking at dates at the end of January or presidents weekend in Feb. to come visit...
Congrats.
Love
Dad/Jim
Post a Comment