Friday, February 19, 2010

Mommy Days

Some are good, some are not as good, and some are downright miserable. Yesterday was a good mommy day. We had nothing on the agenda but ended up having a very nice day. We took a slow morning that included baths. Then Weston picked going to the aquarium as our outing. The kids raced through it. I mean, they literally raced each other.
We were done pretty early so we went and picked up Ian from work and all went out to lunch together. It was nice to see Ian since he has worked a lot of hours this week. Heaven forbid he actually work less than 40+ hours in a 4 day week. When we got home Davin went to sleep and Weston had some quiet time in his room. While Dav was still sleeping, Weston and I did puzzles, read library books, and played. It was a good mommy day.

Today, not so much. I had errands to run. Kohl's, Walmart, library, post office. We only made it to the first two. And the kids were ultra whiny. Weston just thinks he should be getting presents non-stop since he kind of has since Christmas. Sheesh. We were buying a gift for a birthday party this weekend. Weston even got a game and still whined at me. Sigh. I need to make a pact with myself to not buy him a single thing for a whole month.

Should be easy, right? I have a hard time with it for some reason. Does anyone else have this problem? I mean, it's just a book or toy at the dollar spot here, and an ice cream at Arctic Circle there, but it seems like he is growing up entitled. Blah.

Tonight Ian and I were supposed to be having a stay-at-home date. Kind of like the rest of my life. Stay-at-home style. However, he got called to the hospital to give a blessing. I'm so ready for a little break from the mommy days. Anyone up for planning a girl's weekend?!?

9 comments:

Delia said...

Ebb and Flow. Ebb and flow.

Owen has had a case of entitlement lately too. It does get especially bad after a holiday and his birthday for us too {it doesn't help that our boys have birthdays right after Christmas eh?} but after a couple of weeks of going back to saying no the symptoms go away. :)

Liz Smith said...

a girls weekend sounds so good to me right now!! it's been a while since i've had one of those. :( I hope the weekend goes better and that you get some quality time with your hubby. It's hard when they have to work long hours. :(

Emilee said...

If only I were close enough. Eli's gone most of the time with adding full time school to his full time work. And even though Ivy's at a fairly easy stage right now, I just need a break from chasing her down all day. Good thing you blog about the good days, so you can go back and remember that you had them.

Jackie H said...

Claire totally thinks she's entitled. Kyle does well unless we're getting fast food. Since Arctic Circle gives out free ice cream he doesn't understand that everyone else doesn't.

Before we go into a store I always remind them that we are NOT going to buy anything. If the Claire does whine I just take a picture of her holding it with my cell phone and tell her I'll send it to Santa/Grandma for her next birthday or Christmas. 90% of the time she calms right down.

I'll drive for Girls Night Out...just name the day!

The Curnow Family said...

I want to do a girls weekend! Let's go to cali, I need sun! What am I saying? i can't afford cali. ha I miss you tons and I will hang out with you in my mind. does that count? ha

joyous said...

Heya Sister! So does the good day balance out the bad day or does it just seem bad? Hang in there and definitely take up your friends on at least a girls' night out!!!!! Good luck with that. I love you tons. :)

Amanda said...

My kids were getting the entitlement thing, too. They would whine and fuss any time we left a store without something for them. I hated it! Now, when they ask for something, I ask them how they'd like to pay for it. That usually quiets them down. If it's something they want bad enough, we can make arrangements for them to earn it within the chore reward system I have set up.

Julianna said...

I have an idea!! Let have a girls weekend. I will steal Joy on my way to utah and Force melanie to come to utah for a weekend. Then all four of us can spend the weekend doing WHATEVER we like! Which will hopefully be lounging and being lazy with each other (its seriously my favorite thing to do right now) I love you, and think your a great mom. I seriously can only hope I am HALF the mother you and Joy are!! Love you!!

Glen & Kat said...

I so would love a girls weekend! It's still busy season and then Glen went camping with the scouts this weekend...Come on down!