Saturday, February 20, 2010

Saturdays

It's so nice when you have a slow Saturday. It helps if that slow Saturday is also sunny. We slept in (while the kids watched Incredibles), got ready, then ran errands. I got to go to the post office all by myself. It's amazing how fast and easy errands are without having to get kids in and out and haul them into places. Ian took the boys with him to the man store (aka Home Depot) to get a new propane tank so we could grill for dinner. While there he checked into getting new blinds for the den.

Side note:
When we moved into this house it had no window coverings except for in the den. We bought blinds for the whole rest of the house, but kept the ugly, dirty, old ones in the den just because we could. They have endured additional wear and tear (aka kids pulling on them and lots of dust) in the 3 years we have lived here and were looking quite shabby.

When I heard how inexpensive it would be to replace the blinds in the den I said we should do it. Today. We had a birthday party to attend this afternoon, but afterwards Ian went and bought the blinds and had them trimmed to size. It took him under an hour to get the old ones down and the new ones up.

They look so nice! They actually match the blinds in the rest of the front of the house now. I like that they let in more light since they are the 2 inch faux wood ones rather than the 1 inch vinyl ones. Despite the ease of this little project we still ended up with 4 trips to Home Depot. Good thing it's only a mile from our house. Hooray for easy, inexpensive facelift house projects. And for sunny Saturdays.

11 comments:

Delia said...

Nice! I can't wait to not be a renter anymore and get real blinds. :)

J, J and B said...

So nice to have a handyman husband! :)

Tara said...

Whoa, that looks awesome! Inexpensive and took under an hour? I love discovering little things like that. I wish we could get those in our house, but the window in our living room is so humongous, I'm thinking it would be kinda pricey.
But maybe we should at least look into it. It really looks great!

Mom said...

They look so nice. Good for you guys!! We took the Henshaw girls to the Children's Museum today while Joy was at Aimee's shower. Good thing to b/c my pass expires next week. I'll have to get a new one when you guys come. We had a really good time. Tonight was Grandma Snowball's B-day party at the Chicken House. I'm so FULL!! We had 15 people there and a good time was had by all. Enjoy your Sunday!

Liz Smith said...

i totally know what you mean about making tons of trips to home depot. That always happens when jared does a project cuz you dont realize all the stuff you need until you're doing it. oh well, it's nice to have a hubby that can do that kind of stuff. i know im certainly super grateful for it. :) the blinds look great!!!!

Katie said...

Those look great! We are looking to get new blind all over our house because they are really old and nasty. Any tips on installation? We are thinking of getting them at Home Depot too?

The Curnow Family said...

Super cute and fun! I can't believe that it was such a fast process! I love you're little model!

Unknown said...

They look so good! A few more years of renting then I will become a fixer upper. It is cold in Boston. Sadly it will be fore awhile. . .

joyous said...

The blinds look great! Glad to hear you had nice Saturday, productive, but not stressful. ;) It was good to chat today too, enjoy your afternoon!

Anonymous said...

I love little projects that improve the feel and look of a house. Your blinds look great! And under an hour...that's impressive.

JAB0218 said...

So fun, the blinds look great. I love Saturdays!!