Tuesday, July 6, 2010

4th of July Weekend!

I feel like we have just been so crazy busy and my posts are always catch-up posts. I also haven't been as faithful of a blogger lately because of the fact that I don't have the den to cozy up in at the computer. A problem that (fingers crossed) will shortly be remedied. We did a lot of work on the den this weekend. It was not a relaxing long weekend, but we still squeezed in plenty of Independence Day fun.

Friday night we started texturing the den. At 11pm I called it a night and went to bed. Ian kept at it until he had used up the rest of the mud. By morning we were out of mud (necessitating yet another Home Depot run), but only had one wall left to texture, so it should have gotten done pretty quickly, but I kept getting distracted by the kiddos. Weston wasn't feeling good and fell asleep on the couch. I moved him to his bed and he slept for about an hour. When he woke up he had a fever and was crying that his stomach hurt. I kept waiting for him to throw up, but he didn't. I sat with him and rubbed his feet for a little bit, then went back to help in the den. Needless to say it goes faster with two people working.
Sickie Weston napping at 11am. Never a good sign.
Textured walls
We finished up the texture just in time to clean up the backyard for our BBQ and take showers. It was an absolutely perfect day for BBQing. 76 degrees, sunny, breezy. Just gorgeous. We had a yummy BBQ with our friends, the Severinsen's. The only bummer was that their little girl fell off our retaining wall and got a pretty huge bump on her head. It was sad. She bounced back fairly quickly though.

We went to Murray Park for fireworks after the BBQ. We got there around 7pm and had to wait until 10pm for the show to start. Luckily there is plenty to see and do at the park. We took turns taking the kids for walks, but mostly we just hung out in our spot and snacked and visited. Weston started to fade around 9pm. I wrapped him up in a fuzzy blanket on the grass and he fell asleep. We woke him up for fireworks. Davin did not like the loud noise of the fireworks and made me keep my hand over his non-snuggled-up-to-me ear the whole time. It was a late night, but luckily the kids slept until 8:30 on Sunday. Hooray!
Sunday afternoon we ended up BBQing with our bishop's family. We had stopped by to check on their wood floor project and ended up spending the evening grilling hot dogs, eating fabulous watermelon, doing sparklers, and playing with a potato gun. Poor Davin burned his thumb on his last sparkler of the night. He also hadn't had a nap, so he had a bit of a meltdown when we left. It was a really fun way to spend the 4th.

After we got the kids in bed that night we taped up the ceiling, windows and doors. Monday morning we painted. In between coats of paint we took the kids to the Gateway to play in the fountain. Ian got to go play with the new iphone at the Apple store too. When we got home I was exhausted and took a nap while Ian gave the front door a fresh coat of paint. When I got up we painted the second coat on the walls. As soon as we finished I went and took a shower and got ready for my girl's night out!
After the 1st coat of paint
After the 2nd coat of paint. Can you even tell it's painted? I think it looks very nice!
I got to have dinner last night with 6 other girls from my Freshman year at BYU. Most of them had been my roommates at some point too. It was so fun to all get together and catch up on everyone's lives. There were a few of us locals, but the others were in town from Philidelphia, Seattle, Phoenix, and Vegas. We had a great time!
Liz, Sarah, Tara (due August 10th with baby #3), Alexis (due September 1st with baby #2), me (due December 8th with baby #3), Katie, and Heather
Taylor Hall alumni 2001-2002
All in all it was a great weekend. We got to spend time with friends, get lots of work on the den done, and sleep in a little. It was also exhausting. I'm going to need the next couple days to recover before we start on the next phase of the den renovation: tile entry.

11 comments:

Cami said...

That last picture is a blast from the past for me. I lived in that same hall but had a different group of friends so I haven't kept up with any of them. Everyone looks great!

Delia said...

What a busy and FUN weekend. That is so cool that you got together with old roommates! That is so exciting that your basement is so close to being done too!

Shewi128 said...

Look how cute everyone is! Good times.. haven't seen most everyone in years

joyous said...

What fun!!! You guys got a ton of work done on the den. It looks fabulous!! And yes, I can tell that it's painted. I really am excited to see you guys in a couple weeks, it will be so fun.

Emily said...

Love the textured walls!

Whitney and Blake said...

Looks like you had a blast celebrating the fourth!!! I also love that you were able to get together with friends from your freshman year!!!

Liz Smith said...

the den is looking so good!! i love when you can finally start seeing progress...it makes you feel like all your hard work is finally paying off.

i love that you had a girls reunion!!! im trying to plan something similar for next year in san fran, but we'll see if it actually happens. im crossing my fingers it does....i love girl time! :)

Tasha said...

Wow, that was quite the weekend. Your Den is looking amazing!! Go you guys on doing it all. And the 4th celebrations looked very fun too. Plus, what can be better then getting together with lots of old roommates. I wish I was better in contact with old roommates. That looked very fun!!

Tara said...

The den looks great! You are so close, how exciting. That picture of Weston sleeping in his little cap is so cute and sad! Glad it didn't turn into a weekend of throwing up. Love the fireworks pics.

sara said...

What a busy but fun weekend! I love that you did so many fun things for the 4th. And your den is lookin' good! All that hard work is paying off!!

J, J and B said...

I can hardly wait to see the finished product! It looks like it's coming along well! Love the photo of Davin and his flag. Hope Wes is feeling better!