Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Bowles Visit and Another Family Reunion

Right after my mom headed out to visit her sister we picked up Grandma Denny and Papa from the airport. We just loved having back to back grandparent visits! We had a couple days to hang out and get ready for our Snowbird family reunion. We mostly grocery shopped, did laundry, packed, Denny sewed a few things for us (pictures of Davin's new cape coming!), and the kids played outside with grandma and papa as much as they could.
On Friday we drove the 45 minutes up Little Cottonwood Canyon to Snowbird for the Ziegler (Ian's maternal grandma's side of the family) family reunion. I had never been to Snowbird before. I was surprised at how close it is! I was not overly impressed with the hotel. It looks like a converted parking garage. Lots of exposed cement. It was not air conditioned. Probably because it's usually cool enough up the mountain, but it meant the rooms felt stuffy and too warm at night for my tastes. The surroundings though are amazing. Just gorgeous. And there was so much to do! We found this great, all accessible, park down one of the paths from the hotel.
We spent some time meeting/visiting with some of the Ziegler relatives of course. Then Friday night we went swimming in the pool and out for pizza. Saturday was our big play day though. We started off on the mountain tram. I am scared of heights, but I kept my cool for Weston's sake. He was terrified. He wouldn't get anywhere near the edge of the flat ground at the top and was clinging tightly to my hand. After about 20 minutes he finally warmed up and let go of my hand so he could play in the rocks with Davin. The views from the top of the mountain were just beautiful.
Weston and I took pictures of each other. It was really just my trick to get him to let go of my hand and realize that he was fine up there.
After the tram I sent Weston up the chairlift (which I assumed he would be scared of but then he was fine) with Ian and Grandma and Papa to do the alpine slide. Davin and I hung out at the bottom to get some pictures. We checked out the river and did the bounce house while we waited. The weather was gorgeous. It was overcast all morning, so it didn't get too hot until about lunch time. After Davin saw his brother come down the alpine slide he really wanted to do it too, so we headed back to the hotel for lunch, then Ian and Papa took the boys back to do the alpine slide a couple more times. I took a nap. :)
Saturday night was the big Ziegler family reunion dinner in one of the hotel conference rooms. Denny had put together a family history slideshow. It was really fun to watch it all together and hear everyone's comments about the people in the pictures. Eli and Emilee were able to come up for the dinner too. It was fun to see Ivy walking around. Since the boys had had such late naps we went for a night swim before bed that night. The pool was packed, but we had a good time.

Sunday we got up, checked out, and headed back down the mountain. This time we got to bring Grandma and Grandpa Squire with us. They hung out for a little while at our house until it was time to take them to the airport for their flight back to Seattle. We had a great time visiting with family and playing at Snowbird. Another family reunion success!
Grandma and Papa had one more day to spend with us. Papa kept busy putting in the window air conditioner for us and going to the junkyard to find parts to fix Ian's car a bit. He replaced the broken side view mirror and the door panel that had ripped off. Now Ian's car isn't quite so ghetto looking. Thanks Papa! Monday we all went to the aquarium. It was shark week, so there were lots of fun activities going on. It was a blast. Ian met up with us for lunch then it was time to say goodbye to Grandma and Papa. We are so glad they could come and spend some extra time with us. Hooray for family!
Now we are grandparent-less and adjusting to the less fun life we normally lead. ;) You know, doing stuff like cleaning the house, doing laundry, running errands, etc. I think the hardest part is the kids not having someone to play with them all day. We sure enjoyed our 2 weeks of family and weekend getaways! I feel like summer is mostly over now. Just a few more pool days and maybe a camping trip before school starts and we really get back into a routine. I'm honestly kind of looking forward to it.

6 comments:

heather said...

for a place with a name like "snowbird" they sure have a lot of fun things to do in the summer! looks amazing!

Liz Smith said...

aww...i miss the alpine slide. good memories. those are some great pictures. utah is so gorgeous! I sure miss those mountains.

J, J and B said...

I'm not a fan of heights so some of the photos were making me a little sick!! That flying swing looked a little scary too... but it looks like he's having fun! :) Love the photo of the boys dressed up too!!

Olson Family said...

what a fun weekend! Those slides look like fun! I want to go! I already miss your family soo much and can not wait for October! Give the boys kisses and hugs

elizabeth said...

I'm so glad that Davin has his superman cape now. He's such an expert Superman flyer that he really deserves his own cape. . .good job Denny!! Glad everyone had a great time.

Love you all!

Chris and Jenn Roundy said...

How fun having back-to-back grandparent visits! I'm sure it'll be nice to get back to routine though. I'm kinda looking forward to it too. Too much summer fun! :-)