Ian has been working non-stop for 3 weeks and he was really looking forward to having a little getaway. Make him feel like he's actually getting to participate in Summer. So he took Friday off and we headed up the canyon after lunch. It started down pouring as we were leaving Kearns and we chased the storm up the canyon. When we got to the campsite the rain had stopped and it was nice and cool and beautiful. The wildflowers were all in bloom and it was just so quiet. Luckily they had a few campsites left, so we picked one and started setting up.
After the hail all the clouds blew through and the sun came back out. There was blue sky and it was just gorgeous. We put our dinners in the fire to cook. By the time they were done it had started drizzling again. We decided to all go sit in the Wilson's giant tent to eat out of the rain. Good thing we did because it never stopped after that. We ate and chatted and the rain just got harder, the sky got darker, and the temperature got colder. The Wilson's tent was leaking and the boys were getting tired. I decided to take Weston to the bathroom with me and then get the boys into jammies and into our tent. Why have to go out in the rain more than once?
We got the kids into jammies and into their sleeping bags. Luckily our tent was dry, but the rain, thunder, and lightning were still going in full force. Davin was crying about being in his sleeping bag and about being cold. The Wilson's decided to go home since their tent was pretty soaked and still dripping. At that point I decided we should probably just head home too. Ian was really disappointed. I was too, but not enough to spend a long, wet, noisy night in a tent with 2 kids. Weston really wanted us to sleep in the tent all together. He was sad that we didn't. About 10 minutes after putting the kids in their car seats while we gathered up our soggy stuff they were out. We ended up getting home by 10:30 and getting a full night's sleep in our own beds.
It was pretty depressing having to unpack everything this morning after not feeling like we even went camping. Sigh. I guess we will just have to try again next summer. At the very least the boys will both be big enough that they can camp with Dad. We really did have a good time while the weather held. I think the thing I was most sad about was not getting to make smores (the rain put out our fire while we ate dinner in the tent) and talk around the fire. Maybe it will all work out to go another time.
When we were unpacking and cleaning stuff out in the yard this morning Weston found a little grasshopper and was so excited that he could hold it. He asked me to take a picture of him with it and put it on the blog so his friend Makenzie could see it, so here you go.
8 comments:
Bummer about the camping. But you can still do smores--I was checking out this version but haven't tried it with the candy bars yet: http://www.ourbestbites.com/2010/08/candy-bar-oven-smores.html
So disappointing about your camping trip. i would have been sad too. Way to stick it out as long as you did.
That picture of Weston...love love love it. So boy. My boys are obsessed with rolly pollies right now. (and other bugs too) Glad he knew where he could post a picture for his friend to see (so funny).
What a bummer! Some things are so unpredictable! At least you tried and that you'll try again next year! You said 'the rest of the bishopric'... does that mean Ian's in the bishopric? I didn't know that! wow!!
THat is so sad Shannon! I am so sorry. WHat a crazy camping experience. You guys are such troopers. Yes please give a movie review. I really like it when you give reviews. :)
I'm impressed you attempted it! You still totally get credit for that part. You can still do it with a 6-9month old next summer too. ;) Hope you guys have fun on your date night!
Camping and cold weather sound perfect to me right now! It's been over 100 the last few days and I would give anything to be cold, even just for one night. You're a brave soul camping with little ones. We tried last summer and it was more stressful than relaxing. Zander was only 15 months old, that was our first mistake. I'm looking forward to next summer though! Zander will be 3, old enough to sleep in a tent and stay out of the fire pit :) Hope you get to satisfy your s'mores craving soon!
I agree with you about Mockingjay. I wished there were more instances of Katniss's survival and hunting skills. I felt like she was too much of a robot, just doing what she was told. I wanted someone to slap Katniss, Finnick, Haymitch and tell them to get over their psychological issues. Enough is enough. But I liked the ending. Her choice made sense :)
Those last two pictures of Weston totally capture the wonder of childhood. I'm not kidding- I think you should frame them and keep them in his bedroom. They are priceless!
such a bummer! but i don't blame you for going home. crazy storms are fun, but mostly when you are cozied up in your house not sleeping outside. I'm sure there will be more fun camping trips in your future. hope you had a fun date! :)
Post a Comment