I feel so blessed to have so many great opportunities to use my musical talents right now. I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I am so grateful for the gift of music in my life. I'm grateful to everyone who helped/s nurture it, and I'm grateful to my Heavenly Father for blessing me with the talent to share music with others.
My current calling in the church is to play the piano for the Primary. It is such a fun calling! I love that I get to be in Primary with the kids. I love that I have something to practice the piano for. I enjoy having a "Sunday only" calling right now too. A few weeks ago I got a call saying the bishop wanted to meet with me. Yikes! I did not want to give up my pianist calling, but it turned out that I got to keep it. I also was given a new musical opportunity. The Kearns stakes were asked to provide women to sing in the choir that will perform at the Relief Society Broadcast in September and I was invited to sing with them!
I was pretty excited about it from the start, but now that we have a couple rehearsals under our belts and I am a little more familiar with the music I am SO excited. It is truly a blessing to be a part of this choir. At each rehearsal we get to hear a message from a member of the General RS Board before we start practicing the music. Then we get to sing these amazing arrangements of familiar hymns. It is just so inspiring to be a part of. I am really looking forward to performing in the Conference Center too. How cool, right?
I am so glad that I chose to sing Soprano 2 too. The harmonies are difficult, but so fun to sing. I also am not quite as comfortable with high G's as I would like to be. :) Anyway, if you weren't planning to attend the RS Broadcast you should! It's September 25, 2010 at 6pm MST, so probably 5pm for all you Californians. And keep an eye out for me in the choir!
How To Develop Value-Based Spending Habits
3 years ago
14 comments:
My mom and I were discussing what the best calling would be, and we decided it is primary pianist. I'm the primary chorister, and I have lots of fun, but I think I would also love to be the pianist some time. You still get to be in primary with all the fun kids, but you have almost no prep once you can play the songs. Congrats on singing in the choir too! I miss singing in choirs sometimes. I will definitely watch for you!
That is so wonderful Shannon. WHat a great opportunity. We will look for you this October. ;)
I am so excited to watch for you during that meeting! Kind of makes me wish I lived in your stake. What a wonderful opportunity!
P.S. My word verification is "press."
I am with Jillian, sometimes I really miss singing in a choir. I will definitely make a HUGE effort to go to the RS broadcast now so I can whisper loudly, THATS MY SISTER!!! hahaha
I really wish I was better at piano then I am. I regret not sticking with it, or even ever truly practicing. I only ever did just enough to get by each week and now I wish I could do it all over again. *sigh* Well I love you tons and am happy to hear you still have your awesome calling!
There seriously is NOTHING better than singing in a good choir. So fun and fulfilling and inspiring. I am so excited for you!! You better believe I'll be looking for you :)
I miss being in your parent's ward for all the awesome musical opportunities that I had. Our current ward doesn't even have a ward choir director. They just kind of released the last one and never called another one. I think that's been at least a year now. We have the occasional special musical number, but that's usually by one of the youth, and they seriously needed to practice it way more.
But... sounds like an awesome experience. I'm afraid I'll miss the R.S. broadcast, but I'll ask Pamela if she saw you. :)
That's awesome--I was in a choir for a YW General Broadcast many, many years ago and got to sing in the old Tabernacle. Enjoy your time there, and I'll be watching for you!
That's so cool! A perk of living in Utah ;) Right now I'm the ward organist and even though it scares me to death being in front of everyone I feel so grateful that I'm able to do it. And my mom is glad to know that all her time/money/nagging me to practice were worth something after all!
When you have your rehearsal in the conference center you'll have to give us an approximation of where you are so we focus our search for you ;-) I am also grateful that you have these opportunities to share your wonderful musical talents. AND as you share those talents they just keep growing. What a wonderful blessing. I love you!
how AWESOME!!!! That's going to be such an amazing experience. I will definitely be watching for you! :D
So cool! I am sure it will be an amazing experience :)
That's great Shannon. I'm excited for you. Being in a choir is so fun.
Shannon, this is so cool! I'm so happy for you, what an awesome opportunity. I hope I see you up there!!
So awesome! I'm sure you'll contribute greatly to the choir! I teach primary and know how necessary a pianist can be with the little ones. We're grateful for you! :)
Post a Comment