Utah usually gets some pretty impressive thunder storms in the summer. It seems like we haven't had a ton this year though. Yesterday morning we went grocery shopping at Walmart. I knew that there were storms forecast for the day, but it wasn't looking too threatening when we left for the store. By the time we were done and heading home the clouds were dark and the wind was picking up. We made it into the house with the groceries with about 5 minutes to spare before the storm broke. Whew!
The nice thing about summer rain storms is that they usually cool things down. The storm yesterday dropped the temps into the low 60's. I love it. I opened all the windows and let the cold air blow in. It stayed cool pretty much the rest of the day, but the clouds cleared up and the sun came out. So after nap time I decided a mild weather park trip would be a good idea. The slides were mostly dry and so was the park in general except for this one huge puddle where the park paths cross.
Before we got too close I stopped both the kids and told them I didn't want them playing in the puddle because I knew they would get soaked. This probably would have been fine, but there were 2 other older girls playing at the park too and they were riding their bikes through the big puddle. Poor Davin wasn't even playing. He just stood on the edge of the playground watching the girls. It was obvious that all he wanted to do was play in that water.
Finally I decided to let them play in it. Weston had already gotten his sandals soaked walking through the really wet grass (on accident), and Davin's short were wet from playing on a slide that had a little puddle at the top. Sure enough they were sopping wet when we left, but they had a blast. Sometimes I have to remember that I have little boys and I need to let go of all my OCD-ness and let them get dirty and wet and make messes. :)
How To Develop Value-Based Spending Habits
3 years ago
6 comments:
we get some amazing thunderstorms here in chicago...way crazier than utah in my opinion...but a thunderstorm is a thunderstorm and they are way fun. i'm so glad you let them play in the puddles. that's such a great part of being a kid. :D
I love this video. I want to play in the puddle too! But I totally know the feeling of not wanting your kid to get too dirty sometimes. I have a girl that loves to play in the dirt or cake herself in paint and I have to make myself okay with it. She has fun and we can always clean it up later.
I love rainstorms in the summer here! What a cute video. That is no small puddle! It looks like they loved it.
Yes...I know how to sign and my parents do...to answer your question.
Some of my favorite memories as a kid were throwing on my rainboots, jacket and grabbing my umbrella and playing in the rain. It's tough, but i'm sure they had a LOT of fun! Messes can really = fun!
Oh yeah- nothing like a giant puddle! I've got major temp. envy :) But we're getting there...
Oh how I wish we had summer rain storms like that. I can't imagine how 60 degree weather would feel like right now! I'm glad you sucummed and let the boys play in the puddle :). It would be hard to let me do the same but I bet they were all the more happy from it :)
Post a Comment