Thursday, October 28, 2010

Are You Getting Ready?

Christmas is going to sneak up on you just as fast as it (and baby girl) are sneaking up on me! I have noticed some great sales lately on stocking stuffer items. I keep sending Ian on his lunch breaks to buy Star Wars action figures at Target or Cars guys at Toys R Us. It works out because he feels a little more involved in the boys Christmas, I don't have to try to sneak stuff into my cart while hauling kids through toy sections, and there is a bigger selection than there ever is in December. Seriously, when action figures go on sale for $5 in December don't count on getting any if you don't go the morning the sale starts.

Anyway, you all know of my Type A issues. I like having Christmas done early every year, but with baby on the way I am especially motivated to be ready early this year. I am super duper excited about all the fun things that I ordered from Amazon for the boys. We are doing puppets for them this year. I got a tabletop puppet theater, the cutest ever make your own monster Melissa & Doug puppets, another random fire fighter Melissa & Doug puppet, and a set of animal hand puppets. All for about $100 on amazon. I would link to them all, but Weston likes to look at our blog and I would hate for him to accidentally figure out what he's getting for Christmas.

I have also picked up a few things in the past couple months that will mostly round out their Christmas. A cool set of magnetic shapes, matching Superman shirts, movies, books, etc. I am waiting until they see Santa to see what they ask for before I get them each one toy. I am feeling like I have the season in hand. I have ideas of what to get for the other people on my list, and just need to make some purchases.

My goal this year is to have all of the Christmas gifts purchased (not necessarily wrapped), the house decorated, the book advent wrapped, and the tree up before December 1st. I figure if I give myself a deadline then odds are baby girl will come early to throw a wrench in my plans, but I'm fine with that. And if not, then I will be all set for her arrival sometime in December. I cannot believe that next week is November already. Are you ready?

9 comments:

joyous said...

Dang Shannon!!!! You are awesome. That is a great goal and you have extra motivation with a baby on the way. I know you'll be able to get it all done. Happy Halloween!!

Emily said...

You are so motivated. I love the deadline! I have always heard that "Deadlines make the world go round."

Liz Smith said...

lol...well, i am soooo not ready for christmas but that is OK by me! you are pretty dang amazing. i've always wanted to shop early but it NEVER happens. someday i'll get organized. till then, i will be one of those crazies shopping the week before christmas trying to get everything done. i do however manage to get the tree up the day after thanksgiving. go me! lol.

elizabeth said...

Even I have a few gifts going for Christmas. I need to order those wheat grinders and have you pick up the ones for you and Melanie (Melanie close your eyes if you are reading this blog!). I'm actually feeling O.K. about Christmas b/c with the extra days off in November and the looming strike I have got my middle school choirs going with their Christmas music. They are getting really ready!! I'm feeling organized that way ;-) So feel free to have your baby early ;-)

Delia said...

No...I am so not ready...ahh! Kudos to you for being prepared.

Tasha said...

Go you!!! I like getting ready early too. I am not doing as well as I would like this year. Infact, I am tired just thinking about it. But, November is my month. I love how much you already have done! And love your goal to have it all done by Dec. 1. Smart.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, getting shopping done early is the best. Of course, you have extra motivation with baby on the way. Sending successful Christmas shopping wishes your way!

Emilee said...

I thought you were asking if we were ready for Halloween--and the answer to that is no! I'm impressed with how far ahead you're planning. Definitely a good idea with the baby. It might be a good idea with us moving a month before Christmas, but I don't know what we'll be doing yet at all so it's hard to plan anything. Luckily, Ivy is too young to know if we celebrate anything ont he wrong day or don't have time for some holiday tradition.

Tara said...

Yep, I've been buying stuff here and there, too. I have most of Makenzie's, stuff, just need a few more boy things for Jarom. The puppet theatre sounds cool! I'm sure they will love it. I also made a mental note about the $5 action figures. I'm kinda new to that scene so I will take your veteran word for it about not getting my hands on those if I wait. I also can't believe you're only 40 days away. Pretty exciting!