Saturday, October 23, 2010

Halloween Happenings

I have been feeling kind of blah about Halloween this year. It's on a Sunday. Our ward isn't doing anything for it, so no party or trunk or treat or anything. Weston's class isn't doing a Halloween party. I've just been feeling like there's nothing fun going on to celebrate. Finally I decided I better quit moping about it and plan something fun for Halloween weekend!

We kicked off the festivities this week with the pumpkin patch. On Friday we went to the aquarium as our outing. When we got home the kids were mellowing and watching the end of Sesame Street before naps. I hopped on the computer to see if any of our holds were available at the library. I noticed that their calendar had a Halloween Carnival on it. I called to see if it was for little kids and they said yes, so I decided to accept the consequences of no naps and took the kids to the Halloween Carnival. They were super excited about wearing their costumes and going to a party. The carnival was pretty crowded, which is surprising for our library branch. They had a few games, face painting, and a craft. We didn't bother trying to get near the craft table, but the boys played all the games. They especially liked the bean bag toss into a jack o' lantern and getting candy after they played.
We didn't stay too long, but Weston didn't want to leave because he wasn't done wearing his costume. :) I told him he could wear it again for trick or treating. It was kind of a long afternoon after that because the kiddos were so tired, but I still vote that getting to one Halloween party dressed up was worth it.
Today Ian went to the BYU football game with his boss, so I thought I would take the boys to the dinosaur museum for their Spooky Saturday. It's basically just that the workers dress up and they have crafts and face painting in the lobby of the museum. We also went through the museum. Weston really wanted to get the Transformer symbol painted on his face, so we brought a little print out of what it looked like. I thought the guy did a pretty good job with it. Davin all of a sudden was acting scared of the paintbrush when it was our turn, so he just got a tiny spider on his hand, but he was more than happy with it, so there you go. A few kids were in costume, so Weston was a little bummed he didn't get to wear his Bumblebee costume again. Other than that it was a good Halloween-y outing.
I have a couple other plans for Halloween outings for next week too, so I'm glad that the holiday will not be a completely lame one. It's the last big kid holiday before the baby comes. We have to make the most of it! Speaking of baby, she is sneaking up on me! I am getting big and uncomfortable. I don't sleep well at all and usually end up on the couch for a few hours every night just for a change of position and for some back support. The nursery is still a disaster. I still don't have half the girl stuff I need, but I do have some. I ordered the crib bedding this week and it has already shipped! I can't wait to get that in and make it feel more like a girl's room. We still don't have a name, but our list is pretty set, so now we just need to make a final decision. I also placed a big Christmas order on amazon, so when that arrives I will have the kids' Christmas about 75% done. Just need to see what they actually ask Santa for and pick up a few stocking stuffers. Whew! So much to get done and so little time and energy to work with.
Random side note . . . Davin has been really into doing puzzles lately. We have this one Melissa and Doug puzzle that is a circle and has only about 12 pieces. He has learned how to do it all by himself. He thinks he can do all the puzzles in the closet now, but he really can't. This week he got out the Monsters Inc. puzzle. Luckily Weston can help him with that one. Aren't my little puzzlers cute? :)

12 comments:

elizabeth said...

The boys look really cute in their costumes. That's such a bummer that your ward is not having a Halloween anything when Halloween's on Sunday and you can't Trick or Treat. Are you going to hit up another ward party with friends?? That's what I would do. We are doing a ward party and instead of hot dogs we're doing authentic Mexican food. . yum, yum. The R.S. sisters are in charge of making scones. I'm kind of excited that it's going to be a little different. I saw on your blog that you're a little over six weeks away from baby. . which means Christmas is equally as close!! Here it all comes. We have Henshaw's here this weekend and made Grandma's sugar cookies. It's 40 minutes to bedtime and we have a Disney video holding them tight until then ;-)

Delia said...

That's a cool puzzle. Those Halloween pictures of them in their costumes rock! They look adorable! You are such a great mom to take them to such fun places!

Kate said...

Great job taking Halloween in to your own hands! I'm shocked your ward isn't doing anything! Wow!
Your kids are so cute in their costumes :) LOVE Woody :)

Jessica said...

Our ward doesn't do anything either! Your kiddo's look so cute in their costumes however. I think that with everything that you've already done and trick or treating they will feel like they really got to celebrate! PS: I'm so excited to see you guys in a few weeks! :-)

Tasha said...

No ward activity? That is random. How come? Aren't people in Utah trick or treating on Saturday night? I would think there are enough people to do it Saturday instead of Sunday. Am I wrong? Go to Provo or Orem. I am sure they are trick or treating the night before. I am glad you found a fun activity for them to go to with lots of Halloween fun.

I cannot believe your little girl is here to so soon. Go you on having almost all of Christmas bought. I wish I was that far ahead. Not yet. I am working on it though.

Lindsey said...

You're such a good mom! Your kids will cherish those costumes! What kid doesn't want to play dress-up, right?

Delia said...

Hey Shannon...We had Stake training this week too. :)

What a busy beginning for you guys. I am first counselor. We divvied things up a little differently because we have a small YW program. I am over personal progress so I mostly have ideas for that.

Have you checked out sugardoodle.net? It is full of great ideas that can help you brain storm. You can seriously spend hours on it and still have more ideas to go through. It is a great resource.

We recently did a bread making activity. One of the girls got together with our YW President and learned some cooking skills{for her own pp project and the leader counted it for a project for herself as well}, bread making being one of them, and then taught the girls how to make it at a mutual night. Then we donated the bread to the YM for the sacrament. We also talked about the sacrament and passed off Knowledge #2 and got the girls started on Faith #4 or Divine Nature #4 {which ever they wanted to or hadn't done yet} which are about the sacrament prayers. It was a pretty big activity for us. Not all of our activities are always that involved. We do one mutual a month that is like that though that helps them pass of personal progress. We also have done MTC {mother training camp}, and we put on a Halloween Carnival for the kids in our ward every year which we are doing this week...I have tons more. You can email me

delia dot randall at gmail dot com

but sugardoodle.net really has a lot more/better ideas. I am so excited for you! You really are so perfect for this calling. :)

Alexis said...

I think it is lame that your ward isn't doing a party.

Theo loves puzzles too, and he was pulling out 1000 piece puzzles from my mom's closet and asking me to help him. Yeah. Fun. :)

Katie said...

Our ward usually opts out of the trunk or treat as well, but since it's on a Sunday this year they decided to do it. I am glad because I don't understand why they wouldn't. Your kids are adorable! I can't believe that our boys and new babys have practically the same birthdays, what a small world! I LOVE your bedding. You are just like me. I contemplated what I would get for a long time and finally ended up with a set off of Craigslist that I really like and it was a great deal. Now I just need to get Preston out of the crib, don't think that will happen until he is three though. I know what you mean about feeling like everything is creeping up on you. Having a December baby is proving to be a little stressful. Hope things continue to go well for you. We need to hook up sometime if I come to Utah!!

Lana said...

Dude, I'm so impressed that you do fun activities with your kids even when you're super pregnant! I would just want to lay around the house all day. You're a fun mom :)

Liz Smith said...

I LOVE their costumes!!! definitely great choices. :)

i also really like the baby girl bedding you picked. hooray for pink! :D

J, J and B said...

That's a shame that there isn't much Halloween celebration going on there! It's getting a little bigger here, although it's hard to find much to do! I think next year i'm going to send out flyers on my street and get a trick or treat night going for the kids! I love Halloween!!