Thursday, December 9, 2010

Another Day

So, just a quick update. I went to the doctor first thing on Tuesday morning, after being up since 2am. I had been having contractions every 10 minutes or so from 2 until about 5am. I couldn't get back to sleep after that, so I was just up. Anyway, the doctor checked me and I wasn't dilated and only about 50% effaced. That was depressing. Then came the really unfortunate news. When I asked about induction my doctor said he wouldn't induce me unless I was dilated to a 2 AND 80% effaced or 41 weeks, which according to him wouldn't be until the 23rd of December. Are you kidding me? Yeah I broke down the second he left the room and didn't stop crying for most of the morning.

I never should have switched to a doctor (as opposed to a midwife like I had with my other 2 babies) or a man (who apparently has zero understanding or empathy for a 9+ months pregnant woman). He was almost rude about my asking about induction and seemed determined to not say or do anything encouraging or helpful. Since I'm pretty sure I might slap him if I see him again, I have not made another appointment for next week. If I haven't gone into labor on my own before next Tuesday or Wednesday then I will call his office and see if he will schedule an induction date for me without seeing me. If he insists on seeing me before doing that then I will go in, but I won't be happy about it. At this point I almost hope that he is unavailable when the baby is born so that the on call doctor will deliver me and not him. Sigh. If you think I'm being childish about this whole thing, you may be right, but please do not tell me. I have mostly been trying to avoid people so I won't have to answer the same questions and hear the same "looks like you're still pregnant!" comments. I promise that I (or Ian) will update the blog as soon as we have any news/are at the hospital. Thanks for your love and support, and send me good "go into labor" vibes!

25 comments:

Carly said...

I'm sending you all the "go into labor" vibes I've got. So seriously disappointing. Good luck. Love you.

Lindsey said...

Please just have your baby already!!! Sorry you're still preggo. Good luck, lady. I hope it's soon! I can't even imagine how frustrating this must be for you.

Cerise "Mama" Outhier said...

Love you, Shannon! Sending hugs & "good vibes" your way.

Jordan (MamaBlogga) said...

Did your midwife induce you before? Because from what I understand, most OBs are more likely to induce than midwives.

But I am AMAZED that after hours of contractions, there wasn't anything going on!

I had a really rude OB deliver my middle child. I was hoping my real OB would be on call, but he wasn't :( . (The delivering doctor pretty much told me I was stupid for going natural, even though I'd had complications from the epidural. He treated the nurse like she was stupid and kvetched about me turning down the routine pitocin shot immediately after the birth. We changed OBs after this [plus my fabulous "real" doctor passed away. My new one pressured me to be induced because of the baby's potential for IUGR. I finally relented and scheduled the induction, but Rachel beat us to the punch.)

An induction is one of my biggest birth fears. (If you want to hear the downsides of inductions, just ask. But I won't force those on you!)

So *birthing on your own, and soon!* vibes for you!!

Jordan (MamaBlogga) said...

PS, I don't think you're childish for not going back. There's no reason to—even if you were showing positive signs of labor, what's he going to do? Avoid as much aggravation as you can in this stage!

I was so tired of being pushed TO have an induction—and the non-stress tests and the ultrasounds—that I tried not to schedule the followups. (The hospital wouldn't take that. Gremlins.)

Liz Smith said...

oh, shannon! i'm sorry! how frustrating! i'm really proud of you though. I think if it were me i really would have slapped him and then i would be blogging about how i have to face charges of physical assault after having my baby. :P what a jerk. I can kinda sorta (not really, but i'll give him the benefit of the doubt) understand him not wanting to induce, but for him to be rude about it like that?!?!?! not cool! especially since you are already past your due date. :( ugh...well i will continue to pray you go into labor SOON! hang in there! *hugs*

Hilary said...

I'm sorry! I totally went into hiding that last week or so . . . I didn't go to Church once I was overdue :-)
I'm sorry he was rude about it -- I know that insurance companies are really pushing doctors to stop inducing earlier than medically necessary since c-section rates have sky rocketed, but he shouldn't have been unsupportive or unencouraging!
I know it's so easier said than done, but try not to focus on the numbers. My mother in law started was always dilated to a three by 6 months along, and my Mom was never even dilated to a 1 before actually going into labor. The number really means nothing in terms of when you'll actually go into labor. There are women who walk around dilated to a five for weeks, and women who are closed up tight at their appointment and have the baby later that afternoon!
Good luck!

joyous said...

Glad we got to chat yesterday. I put your Christmas package in the mail this morning (after I opened it up and slid in the two things I forgot)!!! I love you lots, give those boys extra squeezes from Auntie Joy. :)

Tasha said...

Ugg!!! That is more then frustrating. I more then do not like the last few weeks of pregnancy. I am sorry, but by then end you are just ready to have the baby. Ugg, ugg, ugg. I hope you get a different doctor for your sake too.

Alexis said...

Sending happy thoughts your way!! Come on, little girl. Come on out. :)

Love you!!

Elisabeth (and Tyler) said...

Oh my goodness.. I hope she comes on her own SOON!! Like, today :) Or tomorrow. Friday babies are the best!

Kyle and Jillian said...

So sorry your doctor is being so unsympathetic! Maybe I'm missing something, but your baby widget thingy says your official due date is tomorrow, which would mean 41 weeks is next week (16th), right? Is it possible he got his numbers wrong? I'm so hoping your little girl comes very soon, but I'd still double check his math of 41 weeks. That way you only have one more week maximum. Good luck!

Becca said...

Your doctor sounds like a jerk. If you want to switch to a new one, Dr. John Nichols at South Valley Womens Health Center is awesome. He was my doc with both my kids and I loved him. He said he was "basically a midwife" and I agree. He induced me when I was just 4 days overdue. I can totally sympathize with being overdue and miserable. I hope to hear good news soon. =) Love you!

Kat and Steve said...

I can empathize. When you're that pregnant, every minute that you have to remain pregnant feels like an eternity. Hope things start happening soon!

Amanda said...

Those last few weeks of pregnancy are SO HARD. By that time, you've been uncomfortable and/or sick for so long that it feels like that's how life is always going to be. Knowing that there's a light at the end of the tunnel can be such a comfort--so it's totally hard playing the "wait and see" game. And it's even harder when things don't work out the way you've planned (or even just hoped to plan!). Hang in there! She will be here so very soon!

Jackie H said...

Oh man! Sorry you're not loving the doctor. It's a firm belief of mine that women should deliver babies. I don't want a man to tell me what a cramp or contraction feels like when he has absolutely no idea!

Good luck with the dilating. Just remember that you don't want to induce if you really aren't ready----physically. Even if the baby is completely cooked it'll be a lot better once your body gets the message.

Can't wait to see the little one.

Oh, and a friend of mine did the whole nipple massage thing---it didn't dilate her, but gave her consistent enough contractions that they admitted her. She tricked them---but she had to keep it up for a while! If you're desperate, maybe try that?

Cami said...

Did he say if that's his policy or the hospital's? When I was pregnant with Syd, the doctor was willing to induce but she said the hospital required you to be 3cm and 80% by 39 weeks. Either way it really sucks for you and I totally understand your emotions!! I loved my ob/gyns through my pregnancies and then both failed me when I was actually in labor. If my insurance will go for it next time (whenever that is!), I'm so going for a midwife.

Here's what I'd do if I were you, the next time you have a few contractions, just go to the hospital. They should keep you there if you're contracting and if you get a great nurse, she might be willing to talk the doc into giving you some pitocin to get things rolling. I guess the worst case is that they'll send you home again, right?

Emilee said...

You can ask Eli, but I'm pretty sure I bawled ever other minute in my last couple weeks of pregnancy. Especially during the 41st week. Hang in there.

Emilee said...

Oh, and I became a complete recluse. I didn't go to church and I didn't answer the phone because I was sick of the "still pregnant" type of comments and questions.

elizabeth said...

Wow. . nineteen comments!! You are loved. Hang in there!

Kate said...

He has absolutely no idea how fragile women are at that stage. I guarantee I wouldn't go back either. You're there Shannon- it will happen :)

Delia said...

What!!? That is crazy. Most doctors, up here anyway, will induce you at 39 weeks if you so desire {no special reason needed} you have already had one successful healthy pregnancy. I feel for you Shannon. I would be ticked too.

I hope you go soon!

Denny said...

I'm so sorry. Hang in there. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
See ya soon. Den

Katie and Bryson said...

I'm hoping my dr. will induce at 38 weeks so I can squeeze in my tax deduction and I've already maxed out my out of pocket on insurance. I don't think I would get along well with your doc! Sending you labor vibes, please return the favor :)

Katie said...

I am sending you good vibes and anyone who has been 9 months pregnant knows you are justified in your feelings! Hang in there, you are in my thoughts.