Monday, December 20, 2010

Home Alone

Well, not really alone, but by myself with 3 kids. Yikes! I had a test run yesterday morning, but today I am on my own all day. So far, so good. I haven't attempted to leave the house though. Lucky for me Talia is proving to be a champion sleeper! I have only been up with her once each night since Friday night. The secret sleeping weapon is that I let her sleep in the boppy. I know the tag says "not for sleeping," but she likes being all cuddled and propped up. Last night I fed her at 9:30pm and put her in her crib in the boppy. She slept until I woke her up to eat at 3am. She then settled right back down in the boppy in the crib and slept until I woke her up again at 8:30am. I wonder how long she would sleep if I didn't wake her up. She also took a 2 hour nap this morning in her crib in the boppy. Sheesh. I wish I could sleep like that.

Anyway, that is pretty much saving my life right now. Davin is reacting to having a new baby in the house by being the biggest 2 year old whiner on the planet. His only response to me these days is "no." It doesn't matter what I ask him to do the answer is always "no." He has been spending a lot of time in the corner in the kitchen (where he does time-outs). I have been trying to play with him and snuggle with him to watch movies when Talia is sleeping.

Weston seems to be adjusting to a new sibling just fine. He still loves to hold Talia. He likes to sit in the glider with the boppy in his lap and just hold and rock her for 15-20 minutes at a time. That is also pretty helpful because when she is awake she likes being held.

We are getting all set for Christmas and company here. I planned out the week's meals this morning. I need to do some grocery shopping. We are having Talia's blessing on Sunday when all our family will be here, so I am planning for that luncheon too. It will be mostly all from Sam's Club since there's no way I'm cooking for a big group the day after Christmas.

Today it is snowing so we are staying home. I am doing laundry, cleaning out my closet (my pre-pregnancy jeans are already fitting, hooray!), going through the toy bins and gathering stuff to donate to DI, and doing a little foam craft with Weston. All of this is in between feeding everyone and changing diapers. :) I hope that I can find a time in the next evening or two to sneak away and finish up my last minute shopping and errands without 3 kids in tow. We shall see. Ian is pretty swamped with last minute projects at work. I doubt we'll see much of him until Thursday. Here's my positivity list for this snowy Monday:

Things that are making me HAPPY:
1. Not being pregnant anymore!
2. Talia sleeping so well at night.
3. Losing 20 pounds in a week.
4. Having the option to wear regular, buttoning jeans.
5. Having the option to stay in my sweats all day.
6. Packages! They just keep coming.
7. Listening to John Denver and the Muppets practically non-stop.
8. Not having to cook. Thanks Janelle!
9. My new diaper bag. It's seriously so great.
10. $10 off $20 Kohl's coupons.

And on that happy note, I got Talia's name put on her stocking yesterday. Here's a photo of our little Christmas gift.

13 comments:

Liz Smith said...

my goodness, i have missed so much!!!!! i think im all caught up now though. :) congrats! she is so beautiful! i am glad that everything went well and that all went well with the delivery. i can't believe you are already up and running though! you are superwoman!!!!! i know i've said it before and i will say it a million times over: you, my friend, are my HERO!

Amanda said...

Don't wake her up! :) She will probably adjust and within a few days be waking on her own. But, I will say that Kallie has ALWAYS been a sleeper. She would sleep in 4 hour stretches from the very beginning. She was sleeping 8 hours through the night by 6 weeks. (With occasional wakings.) Talia may just be a sleeper, but she'll let you know! And you can enjoy even MORE sleep! :)

Emilee said...

That's too cute.

I'm glad Talia is being a good sleeper. Sleep helps everyone. Ivy only wanted to sleep propped up too. We bought a cradle sleeper that kept her propped up and she slept a lot better.

joyous said...

I just about died when I saw that picture. TOO cute!

I'm glad you are surviving on your own. And amazingly impressed with all you're getting done! Have a good week. I love you tons!

Tasha said...

That hat on Talia is killer cute!! Oh darlingness. Where did you get it? I am soimpressed with first day along. And well, I am a HUGE HUGE HUGE fan of sleeping the baby in the boppy too. Hands down. For Brayden and Chase it saved me. Incredible how much it just keeps them cuddled and happily sleeping. Yep, definitely with you on that one. I think the tag is because you shouldn't do it once they are moving around...you know some people are just not smart. But, I love love love the boppy with newborns. Go you on being a Mother of 3. Love hearing about it. She is beyond beautiful.

elizabeth said...

I miss Talia. . . can't wait to come back and see my Christmas present ;-) Auntie B will love that you put her in the hat. . very cute with the stocking. Hope you have another good night. I'm with you friend. . .let her sleep through the night and then eat more during the day. I remember you once went 8 hours as a newborn, now that I think of it. But then you were hungry two hours later. We went and delivered chocolate bread in the rain. . .no other choice. It just keeps raining and raining! See you Christmas!

Kate said...

Such a sweet picture! :) Shannon you are one of those amazing moms that picks right back up with life right after having a baby. WOW! I was for sure more the type to stay in PJs all day long.
I'm so glad she's a good sleeper. That makes a huge difference!

Lindsey said...

I love the stocking picture! Such a treasure. Also, how can I lose 20 pounds in a week (without a pregnancy)? :)

Shan said...

So cute! What an awesome mom you are. I hope you have an amazing Christmas. I love John Denver and the Muppets, and I now listen to them every Christmas. How's that for rubbing off on a roommate? John Denver and Chucks. Oh, and the Juliana Theory. Need I say more?

lisa said...

shan--such a cute photo. She's such a cutie!

Jessica said...

She is so darling Shannon! I'm so glad things are going great for you. I wish I could lose 20 lbs in a week! That would make me VERY happy! ;-)

J, J and B said...

I hope you and the family had a great first Christmas all together. I also hope the blessing went well! You'll get the hang of things in a few weeks! She seems as if she's a great baby so far!! And not to mention sooo adorable! Love the photo!

Lana said...

Oh my gosh, that picture of Talia in the stocking is soooo adorable!! Best Christmas present ever :)