Monday, February 28, 2011

Oscar Weekend Wrapup

Well the weekend was pretty nice and relaxed. Friday night we had a family date to McDonalds and Target. We had stayed home all day on Friday and so I asked Weston what he would choose to do that night if he could do anything he wanted. His answer? Go shopping at Target. I must be doing something right. ;) I think it was because he had earned a couple quarters doing jobs for me during the day and he wanted to go spend them. I told him if he wanted to get a new toy at Target he had to donate 3 toys. He seemed fine with that even though he ended up choosing to buy a book about bugs.

Saturday was really chill. Ian watched the BYU basketball game, I went grocery shopping, and then we got a babysitter for the boys and went to the stake's cruise themed dinner/dance. It was pretty much only fun because our friends, the Bayles', went with us. They ended up staying and playing Settler's with us after the activity. It had been way too long since we had hung out with friends. Good times.

Sunday was busy, as usual, but bonus! my 8am BYC meeting got canceled, so that was nice. I still had a presidency meeting after church, which was good and productive. I feel like I'm finally figuring out this whole YW president calling. Not completely by any means, but at least I feel like I can function and know some of the answers to people's questions. Now if only I could get a couple advisors (I turned in names to the bishopric 6 weeks ago) to help out with teaching and activities and I'd be set!

Last night was Oscar night! I know it's kind of silly that I get so excited about it, but it was always a tradition growing up to watch the awards show and eat fun food. This year we had baked potato skins, carrots and celery with peanut butter, apple and pear slices, spinach and artichoke dip with chips, and cosmic brownies. I made the kids save their computer time for during the show, which worked out well. Also, they didn't have naps, so they went to bed early.

Here are my thoughts on the show, the fashion, and the winners:
-The preshow is always cheesy, but really, Tim Gunn just annoys me.
-I loved the dresses on Sandra Bullock, Natalie Portman, Hailee Steinfeld, Marisa Tomei, and Reese Witherspoon. Although not a fan of the hair on Natalie Portman or Reese.
-I thought Jennifer Hudson's makeup looked really weird. Her face was a completely different color than the rest of her body. It was most noticeable when she was presenting, so maybe it was just bad lighting?
-Boo for Melissa Leo's potty mouth. Weston was totally in the room when she dropped the F bomb.
-Hooray for Anne Hathaway and James Franco's hosting! They were fantastic! Funny and cute, but didn't seem like they were trying too hard. Oh, and Anne's song to Hugh Jackman was awesome.
-I loved all the video montages of Anne and James in the different best picture movies and the musical montage. Especially the "Doesn't He Own a Shirt" spoof from Twilight. Hilarious.
-I was SO happy for Colin Firth's big Best Actor win. He definitely deserved it. Also, his speech was great. Oh and he's cute.
-Ian and I both agreed that it was lame that Inception didn't win best original screenplay. It was so inventive! Plus, in his Best Director acceptance speech the director of King's Speech said that the idea for the movie came from a play his mother saw, so shouldn't it have been in the adapted screenplay category? I'm just sayin'.
-Was I the only one who thought Kirk Douglas was being an attention hog? Dude, the night is definitely not about you!
-I enjoyed the flashbacks to older Oscar shows and the Bob Hope hosting video. Also, they brought back Billy Crystal for a little segment. He's my fave Oscar host!
-I was a little bummed that Hailee Steinfeld didn't win Best Actress because I thought she did such an amazing job in True Grit, but she is only 14 and I'm sure she will have other opportunities.
-Finally, I was very pleased with The King's Speech's win for Best Picture. It had my vote.
All in all a very fun, relaxing Oscar weekend!


6 comments:

Lindsey said...

Okay, I TOTALLY noticed Jennifer Hudson's make up too. You would think they are paying people lots of money to make sure their makeup and hair looks great. Also, I loved the Twilight song. Too funny! That whole autotune segment was hilarious! Other than that, pretty much all of my Oscar Picks were wrong, except for Best Picture. I'm never good at predicting those kind of things.

Lana said...

We had an Oscar party too! My thoughts: Anne Hathaway's wardrobe was smokin- she looked way hot. I thought James Franco was kinda boring and superfluous. I actually thought J-Hud looked really great- only she could pull off that color dress. And what was with the cheesy kid's choir at the end? They could at least have gotten them something a little classier than flourescent t-shirts! But it was a fun night :)

Alyse said...

Jennifer Hudsons make up was weird. wasn't just the lighting. Bummer about the F bomb, it was silenced out on my end of things. Thats unfortunate. I thought Anne & James did well too, I heard alot of other people strongly disagree but I was entertained. I was so happy for Natalie Portman!!! I love her.
All in all happy Oscars!

ian said...

Just a note, the F word was muted on our broadcast as well... it was just that something was obviously awry... Weston notices these things.

Liz Smith said...

as i've said before i'm all about the red carpet. so i rarely watch the preshow on abc. i watch it on E! and i really like the job that they do. I love the dresses. as for the actual show, i loved anne and james' hosting too! i think it was a great show. we were actually kind of bummed that inception didn't get a nomination for best director. christopher nolan always seems to get snubbed. but other than that i think the people that won were fine. i was happy for natalie portman. she is such a cute little pregnant lady. :)

J, J and B said...

Oh wow! I didn't know you didn't have advisors! No wonder it's challenging! I didn't watch the Oscars although I love looking at the fashion online. Jennifer Hudson doesn't look the same, period. She doesn't look like herself at all since losing all that weight!