Saturday, October 22, 2011

Farewell

This weekend we said goodbye to the big red couch. It was bittersweet. I LOVED my red couch. I fell in love with her just over 7 years ago when we were still newlyweds living in our teensy basement apartment. We had inherited a hide-a-bed couch from Ian's parents when we got married, but it was not exactly my style or up to my preferred comfort level, so we bought a new couch. This was our only couch for many years. We added a loveseat in the den a couple year ago, but still the big red couch was our main place to sit and relax. It was also my escape at night. I slept on the big red couch often. Almost every night for the last few weeks of my pregnancies and many other nights when Ian was snoring or I was having insomnia I could always get a few good hours of sleep on my couch.
The big red couch the day we got her (Sept. 2004)
Then something sad happened. The frame on the red couch cracked during Davin's blessing weekend. I tried to get it fixed, but the furniture company had gone out of business and the manufacturer was downsizing and wouldn't answer my repeated calls. Finally I gave up on getting it fixed and accepted that we would be replacing it. I have pretty much been looking for the last 2 years. I wandered furniture stores, looked at store ads every Sunday, but never found just what I was looking for.

This last week I saw this cute gray set on sale at Smith's Marketplace. Weird to buy furniture from a grocery store, but whatever. I took the kids to check it out. I sat on it and I knew. This was the one. The color was right, the design was right, the price was definitely right. I texted Ian this picture and told him he had to come see it.
That night after we went to the temple Ian and I went back and looked at it again. We sat on it and chatted about where we would put the pieces (we've never had an actual furniture set before). It was fun. Last night Ian and our friend, Kerry, went and purchased the set and brought it home. It took 2 trips in the van, but by 11pm we had new furniture! Our big red couch went to a good new home. I am very happy with the new set (and it ended up being an even better deal than I thought with some last minute coupons!). I think we will take the chair to Ian's work until we move to our next home and have a place for it. In the meantime we are all enjoying hanging out on our new furniture!
Before:
After:

So the next time you come to visit us you will have a nice, comfy place to sit. Welcome to the big gray couch era. :)

13 comments:

Carly said...

ooh. I like it!!

I remember visiting you right after you got the red couch and I LOVED it. So I'm sad (for you) to see it go.

But so fun to have a new SET of furniture! And I totally agree that it's weird for Smiths to have a department store, but it does. The one by me is crazy big (hello, there's a parking garage! and and upstairs!)

Emilee said...

I like the new set. I dream of the day when I actually get to choose a couch. All of ours so far have been hand-me-downs. They've served us well, but there's something about choosing your own...

Cerise "Mama" Outhier said...

Congratulations! The reason I went back to work when I was offered a job with the school district, was to buy a new sofa =) 21 years later I'm still with the school district & could use a new sofa AGAIN!

joyous said...

Super fun!!! Love color and it looks beautiful. Can't wait to come sit on it soon!!

Liz Smith said...

Fun! they look great. I've been wanting to replace our couches too. i totally get what you mean about shopping forever to find the right piece. furniture is a big commitment. I'm glad you found something you love.

Sarah said...

So much fun getting new furniture to spruce up a room! I love the color and the size looks great! Hope you enjoy them!

Tara said...

Love it, your living room looks super modern and updated now. When we were getting rid of our old brown microfiber couch, I wanted a gray couch sooo bad, but we just didn't have the money. I've seen a lot of pretty furniture at Smith's Marketplace, but this was a really nice find. Good job!

Lana said...

Cute couch Shannon! And I totally understand how attached you can get to furniture, especially the kind that is even comfy during the last months of pregnancy.

sara said...

Oh, sad you had to let go of a couch you loved. And good for you for sticking it out until you found one you loved just as much. I really like the color and love that it came as a set. Fun!

Pamela said...

Love your new couch! It looks sophisticated yet welcoming. It's true, furniture is such a huge commitment. Glad you were able to find something you liked and for a great price. Looks so good!!

Unknown said...

I'll bet it was bittersweet... cuz that red couch is pretty awesome! But so is your new set, so i guess you'll just have to get adjusted to the change. I will probably cry when we get rid of our current couch (not in the near future), even though I do NOT think it is cute. it's just the memories. Our first couch. so I can imagine what you're thinking.

Glen & Kat said...

I loved that red couch...so sad it broke! Yay for getting to pick out something new though. It looks awesome!

J, J and B said...

I really like that couch and color! It looks really comfy too! You found a good one!