On Monday for Family Home Evening we painted the little pumpkins that the kids picked out at the pumpkin patch. They loved getting to go crazy and paint whatever they wanted. Weston did faces on 4 sides of his pumpkin. For treat we ate donuts off the cat. It's a tradition. And we love it. We also like making scary faces.



On Saturday morning we carved our big pumpkins. Weston really wanted to carve his own, but he wasn't super thrilled about having to scoop out the guts. He did do more scooping out than he's ever done before, but Ian ended up doing most of the cleaning and scraping for him. Davin and I did a pumpkin together and I was proud of myself for cleaning it out all by myself (Davin pulled out exactly 2 seeds). I usually need help getting all the strings out. Go me!


Our pumpkins had surprisingly few guts inside, and I think they were easier to scrape out than normal because they had been sitting outside and were a little icy inside. Anyway, once we got our pumpkins all cleaned out it was time for the fun part . . . picking a design! Davin wanted his to look like this.

Once I actually got the crayon out and started sketching on paper he settled on a "happy monster" face. I thought it turned out super cute and we were done pretty quickly.

Weston chose a design from the book that came with the carving utensils. Ian helped him get the design drawn onto his pumpkin and then it was time for him to carve. He discovered that it was hard. I was surprised at how quickly he got upset that it was hard and wanted to give up. I guess it's not necessarily a good thing for everything in life to be easy. We'll have to work on that. I ended up helping him carve most of it, but he did do a few sections on his own. Love that concentration tongue sticking out!

Once we got all the carving done we lit the candles inside and admired our handiwork. It was quite a fun morning and I think our pumpkins turned out awesome this year!


We are all set for Halloween tomorrow with our pumpkins in the windows and costumes all ready to go. The boys can't wait to go trick or treating and get lots of candy. Happy Halloween!
2 comments:
nice apple pumpkin!
hey, gotta tell ya, when you first said you ate donuts off the cat, I thought you meant a LIVE cat! I laughed with chagrin when I saw the pic and realized what you meant!
Oh my goodness your kids are so photogenic. I love Weston's faces in all of the photos! Love the donuts off the cat! That is a really cute tradition!
Post a Comment