Monday, November 28, 2011

Thanksgiving Weekend

Our long Thanksgiving weekend was fantastic! Weston finished school on Tuesday, so on Wednesday we went to the aquarium and got our new memberships. We got to see the Caymans and the sting rays eat for the first time. It was fun to do an outing like that. I've kind of gotten out of the habit.
Thanksgiving morning was super chill. We watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade in our jammies and had coffee cake for breakfast. Ian cleaned up leaves in the yard while I cooked a little, then we gathered up and hit the road. We enjoyed another lovely, relaxing, delicious Thanksgiving in Ogden with the Davis's and the Bitton's.

We listened to Christmas music on the way home from Ogden that night and got everyone to bed at a decent hour. I didn't do any early morning Black Friday shopping, so Friday morning we all slept in again. We went and saw the Muppet movie in the middle of the day. It was so fun and cute! I loved it. Davin thought it was a little long, but they both liked the characters and it was totally nostalgic for me. I loved all the celebrity cameos too.

Friday afternoon I went to Kohl's and scored some pretty great deals on some clothes and birthday presents for Dav. It really wasn't that crowded, and I am glad that I ventured out. Friday night we went and got our Christmas tree! We picked one out at the Home Depot this year. I am really happy with it. It's still not decorated, but it will be after tonight.
Saturday we went on a family outing to the planetarium. We hadn't been in awhile and they had a couple new exhibits, like this cool cloud simulation. Talia was fascinated by it. We went and saw Born to Be Wild in 3D in the IMAX theater. It was a really interesting and sweet documentary about orphaned elephants and orangutans who are rescued and then prepared to return to the wild. I loved it. Davin refused to wear his 3D glasses, so I don't think he enjoyed it as much, but he ate almost an entire bucket of popcorn so he was still happy. :)
Saturday evening we had our friends over for dinner. They brought Thanksgiving food and I made some grated carrots and pumpkin spice pudding to round out the meal. It was delicious! As much as I love having Thanksgiving in Ogden, I sure miss having leftovers! Yum. The Bayles' stayed late and we watched Seinfeld stand-up and played Settlers.

Sunday was a busy day with church and tag team meetings afterwards, but when we all were home together we got out all the Christmas boxes and decorated the house. I am loving it! I had to put things in different places this year because of the new couches, but it's looking very festive and smelling so piney! I am so ready for the Christmas season this year. :)

4 comments:

Emilee said...

I can't wait to see pics of your Christmas decorations and tree! Someday we will have a real tree. You'd think with living in the Northwest we would have done it by now. Eli relies on scented oils for his piney smells.

Pamela said...

Sounds like a great weekend with fun stuff to do and time to relax as well. It was a little hard for us to accept the fact that school started up again today :( We're looking forward to Christmas vacation!

Liz Smith said...

we saw the muppet movie too. awww...i LOVED it. it was just so cute and definitely brought up a lot of childhood memories. It was definitely geared towards BOTH kids and adults.

sounds like a great thanksgiving! i am totally with you on missing the leftovers! it's the only downside of having thanksgiving with a bunch of family, because you eat everything. haha. i have been craving turkey sandwiches like no one's business!

J, J and B said...

I never ventured out on Black Friday! Tooo crowded! I love doing my shopping online! I do love (and miss) Kohls though! I'm so jealous of your 'real' Christmas tree and Thanksgiving leftovers too!