Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day!

I know that true love is in the little things that happen all of the time, every day, but I still think it's ok to make extra efforts to let your loved ones know how you feel about them on a special holiday set aside for doing so.  Plus it's fun!  

This year was pretty low key.  I woke up this morning to flowers on the table along with some of my See's favorites and a sweet card from Ian.  I didn't do anything special for breakfast, just fed the kids and sent Weston off to school.  I did put a love note and a special heart brownie treat in his lunch.

The other kiddos had a slow morning.  We got a surprise little visit from Auntie Mel!  It was fun to get to see her today.  We went on an outing to the dinosaur museum.  We had the place to ourselves and Beckett and I enjoyed the maiden voyage of our new stroller.


Nothing says love like sugar!  I baked red velvet cupcakes and took some to the ladies I visit teach.  The kids took chocolate mold suckers to their neighbor friends.  We also decorated sugar cookies for FHE on Monday, but none of those made it out of the house.  I did share a few with Mel.  But only because she's family.  ;)


Ian ended up coming home a little early from work, so he had some time to hang out with the kids before dinner.  I set the table all fancy with a tablecloth and candles for our Valentine's dinner.  We had spaghetti and meatballs with salad, garlic toast, and Martinelli's.  It was delicious and the kids all loved eating by candlelight.

After dinner I handed out Valentines.  I got each of the kids a little box of chocolates and a See's heart.  They got the movie Peter Pan as a group Valentine gift from Ian and I.  We'll probably watch it tomorrow night.  Beckett didn't get any chocolate, but he did get a new little elephant toy which he seemed very pleased with.

I gave Ian a box of See's, a card, and a deck of cards that I like to call "You make stubble look good and 51 other reasons why I love you."  It was fun to think of all of the things I love about Ian.  He's such a great guy and I am so lucky to be his wife.

We had a little dance party in the living room before the kids had baths and went to bed.  Ian had to go back into work, so I ended the evening eating chocolate and catching up on Once Upon A Time.  That sounds kind of pathetic, but it wasn't so bad.

I had a lovely Valentine's Day.  I am so very thankful for my sweet little ones and my amazing, wonderful husband.  I felt so loved and was happy to serve and tell my family that I love them.  I just don't see how you can go wrong with a holiday that is all about treats and showing/receiving love.  
Happy Valentine's Day!

2 comments:

Alison Bayles said...

Sounds like a great day! Sometimes the low key holiday celebrations are the best :)

Jules said...

Yayy for a successful holiday! It sounds like it turned out wonderful. I swear this christmas I am sucking it up and baking sugar cookies.